Robs chop finally on the road

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Robs chop finally on the road

Post by Prof » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:16 am

Rob's been dropping down to The Chopper Shed every weekend or so to get his shovel ready for the Muster ride. It's been a bit of a drama. Quite a bit done but problems still surfaced. Despite new rubbers and some extra machining, his twin pot PM rear caliper kept jamming the rotor with the following result; cracks and a dish shape from all the heat. The rubbers are not cheap so this last weekend he brought down an old banana caliper to try.

However, a couple of months ago when he came down and at the end of the day took the bike for a spin, the plug blew out of the front cylinder. Turns out someone had the same trouble before and put in a plain 14mm Recoil thread. definitely not the way to go. A proper plug insert is required, but in this case, the recoil had stripped out too much alloy so we couldn't use a PlugCert. So off to my alloy welder in Lonsdale. Exhaust thread was also mangled so I got that welded up as well. Turns out the head had a couple of cracks and someone had already tried welding the plug hole, so quite a bit of work was required.

Nice thing about shovels is how simple they are. Heads can be removed, valves reseated and all reinstalled easily in a day's work...

Heat from welding had put mating surfaces slightly out of shape, so a good deal of sweat went into sanding them smooth of a sandpaper block (wet'n dry glued to glass).

Twin pot caliper was a lost cause...

... so Rob installed an old banana caliper he had. Was very worn and needed slightly different spacing. Caliper mount centre hole was very loose and allowed the mount to rub on the rotor... back to the same problem as before... a heated rotor. Just when all seemed lost for the day (It was now 5pm Sunday evening) a brainwave (inspiration, revelation) hit me and a slight bend in the brake anchor gave the mount a twist and kept it off the rotor New pads coming this week plus need to do a new brake line...

A quick test ride showed it did the trick, so at long last we had the bike on the road...

Rob had been getting pretty despondent so I talked him into a half hour ride to clear out the cobwebs. Got our gear on and headed down to Aldinga Beach via some cool back roads.

Got a couple of pics of my new front guard... very pleased with it. I think it actually improves the overall look of the chopper...

Pulled into the servo in Aldinga just in front of a cop car and were relieved that he did not look closely at our machines. I gave him a friendly nod and he strolled into the cashier. Phew! Gassed up and went on our way to the beach along the Pt Willunga to Aldinga Beach esplanade getting a few friendly waves as we cruised.

Onto the sand and got some good video and a few pics of Rob...

Rob was getting pretty excited by this time and blasted through the water having a high time. Who needs drugs when you are riding a chopper!...

The happy chappy...

Now comes the best part, every single chopper jock's dream... and good looking gal came up to us and asked Rob if he could take her up to the other end of the beach to her friend. Rob's high pipes are a bit tricky for a girl who is not wearing boots, so I got them onto my shovel. Gave her my helmet as well and off they chuffed...

I lay down and relaxed to the sound of the incoming waves waiting for Rob to return... and waited and waited and waited! The shovel had blown an ignition fuse the other night and I figured it must have happened again. Well no helmet and have not ridden Rob's shovel particularly in the sand and didn't really know where they were, but ok better go see and hope no cops about. Just cruised along really slowly, following the shovel chopper's distinctive single wheel track in the damp sand. Finally found them in deep conversation way up past the Sellicks ramp. Turns out her friend was an old aquaintance of Rob's and they had a lot of catching up to do..

Err Rob. I have to cook tea and already half an hour late. We need to go... and we did, but not before the gal arranged to come on the rear of his shovel on the Muster Ride. Cool hey!

We blasted home along some more interesting roads and tracks, and ecstatic Rob usually in the lead... except when we dragged each other at intersections and I managed to get the lead on him. Good fun.

So Rob's bike at last works fine and a very happy bloke left for his two hour trip home after a pancake tea.

See ya'll on The Muster Ride...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Re: Robs chop finally on the road

Post by TriNortchopz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:27 pm

So good,,,and waited, and waited...hahahaha

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”