2019 Balhannah Swap...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

2019 Balhannah Swap...

Post by Prof » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Balhannah motorcycle only swap meet was on again Sunday just gone. This is one of the main meets at which we do a CA stand. Last year I rode in the night before and slept there, but his year decided to ride up in the morning. As it turned out night before wasn't too good. Once tea was done and dishes cleaned up I headed for bed around 9pm.

Beginning of Daylight Saving, so decided I made sure I got a decent sleep before getting up at was really 4.30am. As luck would have it, the Sandman was elsewhere and I finally dozed off well after 2am only to come to wide awake again at four. Did some work on the computer for an hour and managed a bit more sleep before getting roused by that insistant jangling!

Weather was very windy and quite cool with some fine moisture in the air, but I didn't bother with the waterproofs. Shovel fired up instantly and the two of us with our CA gear strapped to the sissy bar, rumbled off into the slowly greying morning. Grey was the word and although not too cold, the weather stayed windy, slightly damp with a few light showers closer to our destination. With its freshly cleaned up electrics the shovel ran like a charm, the new springer doing its job very nicely. Still getting used to hard cornering as it tends to fall more easily into the corners and the springer, being longer than my original forks I keep expecting to scrape on the left, but haven't managed to yet.

Big line of parked cars tells me a lot of buyers have already arrived despite opening time still half an hour away. Pay my $5 and rumble around the outside of the oval to find a gap in the sites already occupied. Set up the chopper with brochures etc and then go for a quick walk around. Do a full lap but buy nothing. See a nice BSA girder. Would be excellent to extend for a chopper, but not for me at $1500.

Crazy Mad Max job on display...

A number of bikes for sale including this '42 WLA. Later I met a bloke who rebuilds the 750 WLA motors and has them doing a 100mph with ease! My own Walla Bob will get a touch from his magic hands sometime soon...

CB750 for sale. The bloke looking, with the grey beard is not trusted by many of the SA bike shops. CB needs engineering as it has no regio. Front frame section would need redoing and 'konged' seat rails would need reinforcing before going to regency...

Nice Evo sor sale at $8500...

Another one for sale, saw no number though...

A display of about 20 classic bikes included this Triton (I think) ...

Sloper BSA and side valve Ariel...

AJS G50...

Terry rolled in on his beautiful XS early in the day accompanied by Wayne on his HD (Waynes XS still in mod mode). It was really good to have both HD and Yamaha choppers on display to help display the myth that choppers must be Harleys...

Things were pretty well wrapped up by 10.30. I did a second round and picked up a few things for resale in the workshop. I'd had some good discussions with a number of folks interested in choppers and we have a good chance of a couple of new CA members. One couple, Mick and Rose from interstate are chopping a Twin CAm as an ICV and were keen to check out The Chopper Shed before they headed home. He has set up a biker friendly gathering place (Little Desert Motorcyces) in Rainbow, 100k this side of Hamilton. Go and check them out...

Wayne and Terry headed off to Palmer Hot Rod show and I packed up.

Drizzle set in as I was packing, but I figured it would only be patchy and once again didn't bother with my water proofs. Fired up the shovel and off we went. Just cruised steadily over wet roads, but only hit light rain again from Meadows to Willunga. Saw a bloke standing by his scooter on the roadside at Kuipto and popped a 'Uey' to see if he needed help, but he was fine. Drizzle finally stopped and clear cruising the last 10 minutes to home. Old Willunga Hill road was very wet, so I took the loaded shovel carefully through the corners and finally rolled into the workshop. Just had time to unpack and take a pic of my purchases when Mick and Rose rocked up.

They loved the workshop and as none of us had lunch I knocked up sandwiches and hot drinks and we had a great time for another hour or so.

They took off home with a pile of CA and TCS stickers and brochures to display and hand out in their shop... and I went to bed for a few hours to catch up on the lack of the mornings sleep.

Nothing chopperish at the swap meet, but some possible new members contacted and once again motorcyclists got to see a couple of real choppers.

This next Sunday is Lockleys Bike Expo. See you there. I'll be doing a run up to Pirie just before hand and boy, am I hanging out for a bit longer ride!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”