Moto Adelaide 2019...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Moto Adelaide 2019...

Post by Prof » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 pm

A couple of weekends ago Moto Adelaide bike show was on for its second year in the Adelaide CBD. We had to book our space well in advance and due to the number of entries, CA was limited to six choppers. I was concerned at how to choose just six. As it turned out, some of our choppers were in pieces and a couple couldn't make it due to illness or having booked into another ride.

I have been trying to get my new springer finished and decided this show would be my motivation. As the final week wore on with one delay after another I watched as one rider after another also told me they couldn't make it. Only Victor and I left. No point embarrassing CA with a stand and only two choppers! It was a week of feverish work, but by Saturday morning it looked like I'd just make it just in time. I had to leave for the show at 1pm.

A half hour after midday the shovel was finally ready and I took her for a quick spin up the road. Got back and damn!!! Oil all over my back wheel with a big pool forming almost as I watched! Main gearbox seal by the look of it.

Sadly I called Victor and apologised for also not being able to make it. He suggested sticking it on a trailer, but being a stubborn ol' school chopper jock that was unthinkable. My jaundiced opinion is that if it can't be ridden to a show it shouldn't be shown! Victor agreed to put some brochures around his machine...

A very disconsolate Prof went inside and went to bed and watched a video! By late arvo, I'd gotten some energy and enthusiasm back and let Victor know I'd come down for the evening on my Diamond CB. Arrived on dark, slightly damp due to drizzle part of the way. Still riding a chopper is always refreshing and I felt pretty good as I pulled up by the Venue, parked and went in. I know the folks involved in the show and a number of people showing their bikes (about 80 bikes all up) and as I wandered through the displays got into quite a few conversations. Spent some times during the night at Victor's chopper to answer any questions...

A couple of other choppers and quite a few bobbed machines...

Racing WLA. These old machines will do over 100mph when hopped up. My WLA will get warmed up a bit too some time, so it will at least be happy at the speed limit. Included the helmet when cropping the photo just for you Stewart...

Bunch of 70's mini bikes...

Stipped down scooter...

This machine was the first effort of a young bloke who was very excited about getting his "L's" the following Monday...

He and his mate came outside to check out the Diamond CB and were really chuffed. Loved the 'music' as she fired up. Poor mans fairing on the front...

Closing time was 10pm, so not long before that I decided to push off. I had parked by Victor's little hotrod truck and Victor was adjusting his float level before also moving off. My torch came in handy.

It began to drizzle lightly before they finished, but I thought it would probably petre out shortly and left my waterproofs in the bag. The diamond tank only gives me around 70 miles range and I have run out before getting home on two occasions, including 500 yards before a servo which resulted in an uphill push. Took no chances and filled up at the On the Run at St Mary's. A hot chocolate went down well as I enjoyed looking at my chopper through the glass. As usual, I was complemented on the chopper by another customer...

Still clear as I took off, but in the middle of the interchange the rain bucketed down! i pulled over quickly and as the rain fell solidly put on my waterproofs; not so easy as each riding boot has to come off and the water proof bottoms rolled up and then pulled down over the boots. I thought,"I bet the rain stops as soon as I get back on the chopper" Guess what that is just how it happened.

Ride home was mostly clear with patches of light drizzle. Most enjoyable riding all the same.

Show was worthwhile and included regular movies in a small room. Definitely worth attending.

Now to sort out the shovel oil problem. I can't ascertain what year my gearbox is and as there are three different mainshaft seals for different years of 4 speeds I have ordered a couple of each. Hopefully on the road soon.

A couple more bike shows coming up including Macclesfield in October and one near the airport soon. Please make these shows priorities. The more choppers and chopper variety we have the more chances of getting new members and chopper jocks to ride with.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: Moto Adelaide 2019...

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am

So many sweet Choppers! 8)
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”