March 2019 Midnight Ride

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

March 2019 Midnight Ride

Post by Prof » Fri May 17, 2019 10:02 pm

We had some French folk staying with us until recently, so I organised a Midnight Ride so that the girl, Sissy could meet some to you blokes and enjoy one of our rides. She rides a 700cc sports bike back home.

Weather wasn't looking all that exciting, so I packed water proofs for both of us. Got 4 miles and had to stop and put them on as light rain greeted us.
We had a couple of light showers on the way in down the Southern Expressway and then it cleared. The city is always 3 or 4 degrees warmer than Willunga, so we had a pleasant ride in...

Victor (74 shovel) and Peter (twin cam I think) were waiting for us...

Ken and his 81 Shovel rolled in soon after...

... followed a little later by Rayne on his S&S Pan...

... and finally, Mick on his CB750 which he built 30 years ago...

A good shot of his machine...

Couple more shots of the group...

Weather forecast said to expect some rain around 8pm, but it didn't come til we mounted up and rode out at 8.30. You can even see the rain falling in this shot...

Most of us cruised with squinted eyes, cos those rain drops do sting even at 60k. Rained lightly all way along the new South Road and finally stopped as we rumbled into Semaphore. After a short stop, Mick decided his jeans were soaked enough and bid goodbye. The rain ceased for most of the rest of the night. We moved out following Ken on his shovel up a very wet Salisbury highway. Victor's chopper died as we came past a servo and we all madly swerved in behind him. Seems he was out of go juice and as it turned out Rayne was also low...

Ken had been ahead of us and had turned to cut across to Bridge Road and kept on going.

Grabbed a quick pic as we got ready to take off after Ken, who'd called to ask where the heck we were!..

Caught with Ken on Bridge road...

Moon man! But did keep a dry face...

Only a bit of drizzle as we roared along the wet roads accelerating past cars and sweeping across lane changes... just all having a lot of fun. Towards the south end of North Adelaide's main drag, Sissy and I blasted ahead and led the rest back past Colonel Light on Montefiore Hill and down into the city. These days the place is a blaze of light especially along the Torrens and North Terrace . Cruised sedately up Hindley Street and pulled up in front of The Pancake Kitchen just as Victor's missus, Sophie walked in...

Rayne had to get home early, so the rest of us saw him off and then went inside for some well deserved vittles. Always nice to look at our trusty machines through the windows..

I'd promised Sissy we'd take her up to MtLofty to see Adelaide's lights. As it turned out the group didn't get near, so once we'd had our fill and moved off home, I headed the shovel up the mount. Place was deserted, so we rode out onto the viewing area. She wasn't all that impressed. Thought the view over Perth was much better! I enjoyed it anyway...

Then it was just a pleasant cruise home astride a rumbling big twin along fairly deserted roads, mostly still wet, but we hit no more rain. Once again, a great ride and different to the rest. Another one coming up next week and should be a dry one...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”