December 2018 Midnight Ride...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

December 2018 Midnight Ride...

Post by Prof » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Our last Midnight Ride for the year turned out to be a real ripper of a night.

Robert and Eli and I worked all day on our upstairs building project until an hour before we had to leave. So a quick shower and change and out to the choppers.

Rob and son Dylan had arrived earlier in time to install his caliper into which I'd installed the new seals that had come from Dragway that morning.

When Rob rolled in with his shovel, he said it was behaving like a pig at low revs.

When I came out ready to go, he reminded me and I suggested a quick look at the points and sure enough they were almost closed. Readjustment to 15 thou and the bike breathed a sigh of relief and in thanks, ran nicely for us!

So once again he had brakes and decent running bike and was ready to rock and roll...Chris and Mickey arrived and rolled out the CB550.

Adjusting points set us back a bit and now we were a bit past our leaving time... but that's 'old school' for you. Tony was also coming, but I couldn't get hold of him, so we took off... Robert and Rob rolled out our drive a bit ahead of Chris and me and made a cool pic as I cruised past...

Rain was promised at 9pm, so I'd packed some water proofs in case it actually happened. We cruised at a relaxed pace and I managed to get a pile of really cool pics (104 for the night). Robert on my diamond tanked CB750 (for sale)...

Rob and Dylan on his shovel doing a Fonda with his swag as a back rest padding on the sissy bar...

Chris and Mickey, She also took some excellent photos and video which you will get to see soon as I get them...

I passed my camera to Dylan (He was our Muster photographer) and he achieved some good shots and clips. Nice to be in the pic for a change...

One of a number of groups shots by Dylan...

Rob and Dylan...

Chris and Mickey...

Like this shot by Dylan...

CB750 and little brother 550. Most of these pics taken down the Southern Expressway...

We rolled in about 15 minutes late. Victor and mate were waiting patiently. Victos' new rebuild. He had to mend a rear puncture after work before he could come down to Villies to join us...

Rob and Dylan were starving and had a full meal, the rest of us just light refreshments...

Following some discussion (I insist that others decide on our routes) North on Main South Road, Salisbury Highway and up to One Tree Hill) became the chosen route. Robert and Chris needed to fill up, which we did just up the road. Victor, relaxed as usual...

Nice shot of the shovel and riders...

Though the new underground section of South Road and then the Flyway; weather just beginning to cool...

Victor's mate, Zac, took heaps of photos which he promises we will get to see. Here camera out of his hand... briefly!...

All was smooth sailing up until our turnoff to One Tree Hill. A Fuzzmobile passed across in front of us as we turned, accelerated ahead and then pulled over. I hoped Victor was thinking! Which he was. And fortunately there was a street to our left which he took. We followed. Shades of the 70's when the boys in blue always seemed to be out to get us. We had some tricks up our sleeves in the day, a couple of which Victor used tonight (due to my reminisces I guess!). We then cruised a myriad of jumbled suburban streets for the next 20 minutes finally finding a reasonable sized road that Victor recognised...

Then a real blast up a dark Yorketown Road through the hills to One Tree Hill. Standing around we noticed a heavy petrol smell and I finally got out my torch and discovered that my fuel hose to the carb was loose. A quick screwdriver job and all was well. Because they were a hop step and a jump from home, Rob and Dylan said their goodbyes and thundered off into the night...

We headed back into the city along another cool stretch of country road, Black Top Road, Victor's and my headlights side by side clearing away the darkness. Not far past the Old Spot Hotel the promised rain began to reveal itself with a series of wet drops that gradually increased in frequency. When they turned into actual rain, I pulled over and donned my water proof pants. After a few minutes, a headlight appeared on a service road; Chris coming to see if I was ok. They had pulled into cover a mile up the road. Quite funny actually, going into a car wash to stay dry!...

Victor mucking around...

Victor got a really good video clip of the heavy rain outside the car wash, but it eventually stopped. Chris suggested we wait 10 minutes to allow the cars and breeze to dry off the ashfelt a bit before we ventured on it... which we did, and then we were off again down the still very wet roads heading for our final stop, The Original Pancake Kitchen. Tried really hard to get a decent shot of Victor's rooster tail at the rear and the spray coming off the front tyre up front... Damn! this was the best I could get...

Chris and Mickey at a traffic light...

Three choppers thundered and roared after Victor though Adelaide streets and we then cruised sedately up a fairly deserted Hindley Street. A right turn, squeezing past an idling taxi in Pancake Kitchen's lane and we pull up in front of Adelaides oldest 24 hr food establishment...

Victor's Sophie and her sister came by 4 wheels and joined us to eat. The chocolate and lime thickshakes and banana fritters are definitely to be recommended... prices have risen significantly with the new owner, which spoils things for me a bit; it used to be a more basic affordable establishment that attracted all the hippies, college kids and us bikers. But I guess 'progress', wages and taxes and consumers now wanting everything fancy have changed things...

Around midnight we figured it was time to hit the road and after a couple of photos, we noisily wove our way out of the small lane much to the delight of the patrons of the bar just around the corner. Chris and Robert needed to fill up and then it was a steady ride home over mostly dry roads. Pretty neat with three choppers blasting through the night much of the time in close formation...

A few spots of rain (quite common) joined us as we accelerated up our road. Three choppers then jammed through the workshop door. Motors switched off and quiet prevails. Helmets off and we are suddenly in another world. Robert and I head inside while Chris and Mickey walk down to the carpark to drive home.

Every one agreed that this night was one of the best Midnight Rides we have had and especially full of variety... but each ride is different and special and we all have many excellent memories of the last 10 years of Midnight Rides. May there be many more to come...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: December 2018 Midnight Ride...

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am

What a great turn out, and some sweet Choppers!
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: December 2018 Midnight Ride...

Post by Prof » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Did you see the video clips on Facebook... choppersaustralia.com ?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”