Rain, sand and no sun...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Rain, sand and no sun...

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Rob and son Dylan spent a few days at The Chopper Shed getting his shovel ready for the ride to Shovelfest in Bendigo on the 14th of this month.

We got a 21" wheel on the front which involved machining up axle spacers... and then one of the pistons wouldn't fully return so that had to be pulled apart and cleaned. Ok front end and brakes. Good start. He has a springer to go on the bike as well, but decided to at least have the bike fully functional first which was wise, because we ran intosome problems the third day. He wanted a tall sissy bar and King/Queen seat. I already had a bent up stainless bar in 16mm that he figured would be tall enough, so between us, the sissy bar got mounted. He did a couple of other tidy up jobs which took up the first day and a half. Unfortunately all the photos I took of the weekend managed to disappear somewhere in my computer when I went to sort them so we only have some samples of what Dylan did on his phone... and pretty good they are too...

By dark we shut up shop and being a very mild evening, I suggested we go for a cruise and drop in on Jason in his new digs in Christies. Didn't need to be asked twice. Kevin called during tea and I suggested he meet us." You kidding? there's been rain and thunderstorms around here." Well. That wasn't enough to daunt us, but I slapped my water proofs and a set for Dylan on the sissy bar just in case.

As we headed towards McLaren Vale shortly after we were treated to a grand display of lightning...

Rob cruising just behind...

We found Jason and hung around for 45 minutes. I got a great shot of the boys in front of his big screen with a cool shot of a chopper filling the whole screen behind them. Alas it is lost!

I led Rob off through Christies main drag around the esplanade and through Pt Noarlunga. Just over the hill along Commercial Road it hit us. Solid and sudden rain. We were wet before we could stop to put on waterproofs. What the heck it's not cold so we just blasted through the wet ignorong the cool soaking feeling in our boots as the rain trickled in and our saturated jeans. Dylan got into the act with his phone and got some cool shots and video (see CA Facebook).

Wet road, body and you can just see the rain coming down...

Water flying off our front wheels... the only good thing about those hideous Indian front guards!...

We pulled up undercover at the servo and worked out what to do next. The sudden down pour had moved on to annoy other road users, so we moved on with my intention to take Rob onto Moana beach. He took off at the lights like a bat out of yo know where, and Dylan and I had to boogey along after him and get in front so he didn't miss the turn...

Thought this was an interesting shot by Dylan...

We relaxed on the beach, watching the breakers surge in. it was very dark adn Dylan played around with my torch in an effort to get some useful shots. A lot of trial and error to finally get a couple of reasonable ones...

Boys and their toys...

Boys will be boys. Rob had a go at a donut, but didn't quite make it before he dropped the bike. No problem in sand though. Just step off and pick it up for another go. Good fun blasting through the thick soft sand at the end of the ramp. Secret with these long forked bikes is to pour on the throttle and don't fuss if the front wheel wobbles around a bit. With enough trail you will power through thick deep sand with feet up even though if the sand is really deep it can feel like you are twisting around a like a cut snake. Cool!...

Rob and Dylan were still up for more shenanegans, so we cruised on past Mazlins (my old biker meeting place), turned towards the sea and then rumbled through Aldinga Beach esplanade to the Aldinga ramp. Beach was pretty rough and a lot of drains running down to the water and plenty of stones. Dylan was still practicing his photography and experimenting with my torch, which worked quite well...

... except that I was half blinded a lot of the time...

Back up the the thick sand at the ramp. Deeper that Moana. Here Rob powering through...

Then a sedate ride through to Aldinga and supper at On the Run. Picked a spot to sit down and eat and enjoy our choppers through the glass as they wonder why are are being neglected for some silly old food!

Well. It was a really enjoyable outing. Our clothes dried to some degree, but were still very damp when we rolled in home, but that was sorted by the dryer working away while we got well deserved shut eye dreaming about our next two wheeled adventure...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”