silverton and mad max 2 museum

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
jsalt

silverton and mad max 2 museum

Post by jsalt » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 pm

I have been planning to see the mad max museum for a few years now and have heard the Silverton pub has some pretty cool move related stuff on its walls. so after a weekend of kids stuff/pedal prix Murray bridge 24 race . I did put something on the forum about going in may but got no takers , so put it off. I have a week off this week so planned to disappear for a couple of days and my wife being a good girl said "go on then "
SO I set off Tuesday after dropping my girls off at school. I was hoping to take the chopper but thought I better not cos I was going by myself,
with literally a change of clothes and my phone charger.
The great part with going by myself is I can stop only when I need, I can ride my ride , sitting at 100, the country just glides by as the stress of my past couple of weeks melts away and my mind clears.

my first stop was at Burra for fuel for me and bike. as always theirs always a group to talk to/steal ya lunch

I got going, thought I had heaps of petrol to get to broken hill ,so didn't think about getting any . all the way along the signs marked that their was fuel at Cockburn. I was going to stop their anyway to take a photo of the sign...

( now entering NSW and Cockburn ) When I got to Cockburn I found out no petrol station and I was really low . I tried the pub and they had some to spare, Legend! after putting 10 litres in told at $3 a litre. DAMN,OUCH.

Finally got to broken hill about 5 pm , I thought " where am I going to sleep". rode down Argent road saw the Tourist Lodge, thought " why not ask", done/easy as $60 bucks. Dropped off my bag and headed straight to the Silverton pub for a look and a beer or two. On the way I drove though a herd of cow about 40 of them . just wondering on the road just before the day dream mine on Silverton road.

The Silverton pub is definitely worth a look , heaps of photos on walls, staff are really nice , cool car out front , their dog tries to round up the cars/bikes like they are sheep.

The 25 km ride back to broken hill was a nice cool ride , I took my time ,sitting about 40 with the cool wind blowing on my face.
Slept well in a queen size bed, McDonalds pancakes for breakfast with a large flat white.

The Mad Max museum opens at 10am SA time but its in NSW , why? The museum was great ,lots of photos, cars and info about a great movie.

After spending about 2 hours at museum I hit the road, ride back was good , I loved the roads , their great long winding smooth roads.
When I got to Burra , I thought 'damn that went fast'. when your having fun it always goes soo quick. when I got to the grand junction road turn I was back in suburbia and hating the amount of cars on road. DAMN I should turn around and head to the hills or something.
but no I head for home!!
thanks for reading
jon

Youngblood

Re: silverton and mad max 2 museum

Post by Youngblood » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Damn I'm going up there this weekend, I will also be riding up there by myself. I will meet some friends up there and then ride back Monday, I'm also planning to see the mad max museum. Good to know about the lack of fuel Cockburn, I'm planning to bring a 4 litre container of fuel with me even though I don't think I will need it but it will definitely give me peace of mind. Glad you had a great trip and I hope I will also enjoy the trip.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

jsalt

Re: silverton and mad max 2 museum

Post by jsalt » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:38 am

Must be the time of year for it, I talked to a couple guys on trail bikes in burra that were coming back from seeing the sights in silverton to. I filled up at yunta on way back only took 8 litres probably could've made it to burra. On way over I pasted heaps more cars , caravans mightive used more fuel doing that . The Barrier
Highway nice and smooth . Heaps of Roos and emu just wondering on road .
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”