Victor’s Shovel Chopper

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Victor
Interests: Building choppers and riding off into the sunset

Re: Victor’s Shovel Chopper

Post by Victor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 pm

I’m doing a couple seperate posts here, tired and can’t be stuffed putting much thought into my writings...

Using a finishing disc I removed the mill scale off the main legs. These work great but are expensive for the time they last. I think I need to order in bulk!

I had a go at polishing the bottom tree. This is black bar, to linisher, to 120g orbital, 240g orbital, then buffing wheel. There are still scratches showing so I’ll hand sand 400g & 800g then polish. Other plates are ready for that process now.

Victor

Post by Victor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm

I forgot the show the top ends of the fork legs, this all had to happen before the merging of the two tubes.

Here are the counterbored slugs for the top tree. They are bored 16mm for the shoulder bolts, and also threaded to M12 for the threads of the shoulder bolt. 1” tube drilled for plug welds, and have positioned the slug to it protudes enough to weld around the end.

Welded

Ground back and beveled for inserting into the 1 1/8” main tube

Tapped into its final home. The bevel allows weld to penetrate in as deep as possible, as again any of the proud weld will be removed once this surface has been turned flat. This face sits against the underside of the top tree.

Not going anywhere now!!

And finally, one of the reasons I think my twin-wall design is a good idea, as well as brazing joints to avoid any welding embrittlement/HAZ around the lower tree.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpvM4lnFn7v ... nd0pqf5w1f

And that’s it for now... until next time :lol:

Victor

Post by Victor » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Springer updates!!

Spring seats and spring rod bushings machined out of Delrin. Bushes either side of the spring plate are counterbored to locate on the rod bushes, which sit proud either side by a few mm.

I decided to redo the dropouts of my springer, I wasn’t happy with the fabricated ends and the amount of tidy up and work required. They would have been strong enough I’m sure but I wanted bulletproof!

Enter V2 of drop outs.

First off all I needed to square up my linisher wheel, for some reason it had a decent crown to it...

Built this angle adjustable table for the linisher. Very low tech and done in about 10 minutes from scraps.

Next was to cut some slugs of 1 1/4” bright bar, same dia as my fork legs. I set up this jig to help roughing the shape with the angle grinder and flap disc.

This is how it all works. By adjusting the table minutely, and just taking off a fraction at a time with the linisher. The results looked great, ends like sugar bear’s springers and many other quality designs.

Square tube tacked on the end was to use as a holding handle, and a parallel to help drilling the rocker shaft holes afterwards.

The result, after drilling and countrerboring for the shoulder bolts to sit in. I then tapped the ends to M12 - but there was a problem... this method relies on a perfectly square hole in both axis. Off any amount and the rocker bushes won’t won’t sit flat against the leg.

This is just something I couldn’t easily do in my drill press. 2 of these were passable but the others were very slightly off in one plane. I wanted to come up with something better, easier to fabricate, but still be super strong.

In frame you will also see my steering stem that I machined on Prof’s lathe. Too long to do on my little lathe!!! It’s started as 30mm 1020 bright shaft, some careful planning and turning for bearing surfaces, then a a 1” UNS thread for bearing preload and top nuts. It will be pressed into the lower tree and welded.

An in action shot:Image

To be continued very shortly....

Victor

Post by Victor » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm

V3, and final version of the Springer drop outs.

I had been sketching out ideas and had a lightbulb moment sometime in the week.

First need to make some “saddle washers” to suit my 1 1/4” fork legs, with a 1” diameter.

Marking a centreline with a steelrule against the benchtop, use this point to centrepunch your guide hole.

Follow the line down the centre of the diameter. By eye is good enough.

Set up on V blocks and use a engineers square to level square the bar up against your line. Image

5mm guide hole drilled through

Continuing with a 1 1/4” holesaw, just going in this deep from both sides.

Moved to the lathe to face off, centre drill and bore out. Both sides of this piece machined to sit 3.5mm proud of the fork leg. Image

Now back in the drill press, with a vice this time and some wood to protect the turned faces.

Result:

With this design I am using 50mm shoulder bolts. Allowing 20mm clear between the faces - 12mm Rocker, 6mm thrust bushings (3mm each side of rocker), 2mm for adjustment shims and another thrust washer against fork leg (to protect the machined face from wearing over time).

Measuring depth for the counter bore bung on the other side, to provide a hard shoulder for the bolt to tighten against. Using vernier depth gauge with black texta on it, then marked with a scriber.

Call it 5.5mm...

Stepped bung out of some 3/4 bar. Drilled to 10mm ready for tapping a M12 thread.

All parts that make up this design.

Final score. The tapped bung and the saddle washer will be welded to the leg end. I will machine a spacer to fill the void and tighten down before welding to make sure everything is sitting just right. .

The shoulder bolts pulls up tight against the bung and, then with a half nut on the end to lock it all down. Ain’t gonna go anywhere!!

Finally against the fork leg. You can see the marks where the end will be turned down and pressed into the tube then welded and smoother back. Note that I can still remove a good bit of length from below the rocker pivot.

I’m well chuffed with how this design has worked out. Just need to make another one. I have the front leg design planned too, and will hopefully cover that on the next post.

Time off over Xmas and plan to get all the fab work of this front end done, ready for test fit and then chrome in early 2019

Cheers!!!!

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”