C A Catch-up

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Tri4

C A Catch-up

Post by Tri4 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:21 am

Hey everyone I got a ride to Brookton last Saturday to catch up with a C A member Noel Brinkworth coincided with a old car and machinery show, the highlight for me was riding the ‘Ole Honda down and back, it sure was good to catch up with Noel again, and the wander around the show was well worth the effort, with many old cars Au, US, also Brits, along with a smattering of older bikes, but alas no choppers! My phone went flat, however I can get more photo’s of the day and will send them through a little later.
My stylish ride drew a lot of interested lookers, and comments and the odd question of ‘what is it??’ I have been getting more and more confidence so much so I tried to stretch my fuel, and so ended up stranded for 21/2 hours, until a great soul pulled in and helped out, despite this it's thumbs up for a great rigid chopper ride, except for the non-fuel not eventful very relaxing I found 100kph a reasonable speed even though I am running 38psi in the rear tyre not to uncomfortable, have tried running 20psi but that was destroying the tyre, sounds from the motor and exhaust keeps me in a constant state of bliss

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: C A Catch-up

Post by Prof » Sun May 06, 2018 3:43 am

Small tanks can be tricky. Pushed my shovel a few times when I first built it. Although the tank holds 4 galls (20litres) my reserve at that time only gave me about ten miles! Learnt my lesson quickly and extended the reserve to a full gallon. Gosh that shovel is hard to push up hill!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am

38psi in the rear of a rigid! Wow must be a bumpy ride, I usually run around 16psi.

Noel is one hell of a photographer too
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon May 07, 2018 11:50 am

Good idea to try a different brand that is set up long wearing. Most of the 130's wear well at low pressure. Some brands have a tendency for fine cracks at the side walls but I avoid those. I find that although low pressure causes tyres to wear quicker due to higher heat, the broader contact patch that has to wear evens that out. Major advantage besides softer ride is better braking with the larger contact area... a significant benefit in my book.

The wider tyres I am told use softer compounds hence the quicker wear... In fact two tyre suppliers have told me the main reason tyre companies started pushing super wide tyres was to have a higher markup which with quicker wear makes for good profits... whether true or not I don't know but manufacturing history would suggest it was an added incentive at least.

So I stick to 130's for economics, good wear and good all round handling especially in the corners. Super wide rear tyres (after asking a lot of questions of wide tyre riders) are in my opinion a death trap... ok if you never misjudge a corner, but hard to pull around if you go in too fast.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Always a debatable item tyres, I did a fair bit of research before I had my rims built and fitted my tyres, with 200x50x17 on the rear of the Triumph and 180x50x17 on the Honda, absolutely love the look, Triumph fitted with no modifications, The Honda took a lot of planing, sleepless nights, and very carful adjusting along with a special 10mm offset rear sprocket also in my mind were the thoughts of a bike designer I met in the US, who believes these sizes on a well engineered motorcycle would not adversely affect the handling , no complaints yet, I know mileage is going to suffer, but so does the Nullabour eat up my mileage, I buy the best (most mileage) tyre I can, I have had no luck running lower pressure's with centre's still wearing super quick and the sidewalls developing small fine cracks, and that was with both bikes, the 38psi I run in the Honda handles better with I believe no difference in the ride, (maybe thats the 'well engineered' part)! I will try any pressure to make it work, but at twenty psi the rear seems to wallow around the corners so I don't think 16psi will work for me at least, also any brand even the 'el Cheapo', maybe that should be especially the cheapest.
I need work out my fuel there are a lots of long roads with no fuel stations up north, but it is about the journey,, so wish me luck, as usual I will carry a extra fuel can, I usually only run 91 octane and that is sometimes all that is available. and a major tune-up is next on the agenda, I'm not sure how much extra distance that will give me, even pushing along level roads are hard work,

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Another trip to SA soon?

If you have done your research and are happy with the wider tyres, stick with what works for you.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”