On the beach...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

On the beach...

Post by Prof » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:25 pm

I had to slip down to Seaford to do a couple of jobs. Was warm enough to get away with jeans, T shirt and cutoffs and despite being partly in suburbia these days the 10 minute ride was enjoyable. However, first stop in McLaren Vale to do banking and pick up some supplies for my travel kit which is always packed ready to hit the road. As I walked from the chopper in the supermarket carpark, a lady probably in her early fifties remarked on the "cool bike". We talked as we walked into the shopping centre. In answer to "Do you ride a bike?", she replied her father was a surgeon and when in her early twenties she "made noises" about buying a bike, he took into a hospital ward and pointed to a young rider with no face, it having been shaved off by the pavement. "That sort of put me off!"

She'd had a couple of rides on the back of a bike since and her eyes brightened considerably at my offer to take her for a spin some time. She quite keenly took a business card. Who knows another person may get to enjoy the thrill of being out there in the wind.

To get to Seaford one turns off the Victor Harbor Road at the bottom of a hill with a stupidly tight left turn. Used to be a nice sweeping curve. They even cambered the new turn wrong to slow traffic down.

How careful are you when coming into corners you can't see around? Well you can't be too careful or be lacking in concentration.

A long patch of gravel had been dropped through the corner right about where a road bike would enter. I managed to dodge most of it, but still had the back slide out on the fine gravel at the edge. Maintained control, thanks partially to the long wheel base and low position, but still it sent shivers up my back.

Got these two photos on the way back. Went through it and then did a U turn up Victor Harbour road and took the first shot with the chopper parked alongside where I would have entered. Second shot after the next U turn heading back home. Bit tricky with cars all around and pushing up my backside, but if this incident saves one of you from a nasty buster it was more than worth the effort dodging and confusing a bunch of drivers!

Anyway did one of my two jobs at Seaford. Pulled into the Sprint auto shop as a girl brought in some parcels. The day before at another shop of the same brand, she'd been doing the same thing and had looked for a long time as I manouvered the chopper ready to leave. I had commented on her big smile, "I hope you're not laughing at me." to which she replied, "No. That is such a cool bike".

This time as I said "G'day we meet again" she responded, "That is a cool bike and so loud... but I like the sound!"

Well all a bit of fun.

The day had been flat out and being rather peckish, I'd picked up a bit of food and drink at the supermarket and decided what better place to eat it than down on the beach. Moana beach and boat ramp is only 5 minutes away so off I tootled.

Sand was really dug up and as there were quite a few people about I chickened out somewhat and rode through it with feet down!

Parked the chopper and enjoyed 15 minutes,relaxing, eating and drinking (choc milk not iced coffee Terry!).

Sun was getting low and the whole atmosphere was grey which with a slight sea mist created a sense of isolation. I think the pics tell the story...

As I left and headed back up the ramp I decided to keep feet up, and gunned the motor. We bored through the deep sand easily staying upright (Trail is what it is about!) until there was just too much drag on the bottom of the chopper and I had to bounce and walk it the rest of the way. Would have loved to have seen and video'd the event... the rooster tail would have been spectacular!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: On the beach...

Post by Youngblood » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 pm

That second to last picture looks pretty cool.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: On the beach...

Post by Prof » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:56 am

Yes. I really liked it. Stuck the phone in the sand on 10 sec delay which is why the low aspect. Was tempting to go home and get my sleeping bag and come back and bed down for the night. Sound of the waves sure is restful...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”