Long term Triumph Chopper project

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

El Skitzo

Re: Long term Triumph Chopper project

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 am

Cheers mate, interesting.

We're hoping to have the completed roller home before Christmas, so should hopefully have some real good pics coming up...
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Well the rolling chassis is home for Christmas, and I think it looks awesome!!

There's still a few minor jobs to completely finish the front end, but they can wait until next year and after an Engineer has inspected the roller and given me direction on how we achieve all the modification permits I need to apply for.

The front wheel and brakes are still undecided, and the one shown is purely for mock-up and so we can push the chassis around and take measurements.

Now that it's sitting on wheels I can confirm that we exceed the 550mm for the front end/axle by 2 inches, so lots of work to get us to the next stage.

65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Definitely tucked up in the air. Is a lovely looking girder though. Pity the pivots on the trees are set so far forwards of the headstem. A lot of girders had the bottom pivot level with the centre of the headstem with the top one forwards to keep the axle back... in the interests of sufficient trail, but also helps with Ridikulus550Rool.

In SA I believe that if an engineer can demostrate that the purpose of the R550R (supposedly to reduce strain on the neck area, although they never did state its purpose) is addressed in your modifications, it can be passed if it exceeds the 550. I guess that means some extra gusseting and reinforcement to the backbone and the engineer claiming the mods exceed strength requirements. You might be able to take that approach in WA.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Post by TriNortchopz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Gotta agree with you, That does look awesome! 8)
I notice that you have the P&P girder in the +10 degree rake position - is this when you are over the 'Ridicule Rule'? What if you pull in the bottom to the zero rake position? That will put the front of the bike up a bit more, but will it fit the 550ridiculerule? If so, perhaps it's just a matter of extending the front down tube, without altering the rake or the top tube, to drop the engine lower- I think we know who can help with that rather easily. :wink:

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”