Mikuni HSR42 parts or rebuild kit

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Harleys.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
neale

Mikuni HSR42 parts or rebuild kit

Post by neale » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't suppose anyone would know where in NSW/Sydney I could pick up a needle and seat or rebuild kit for Mikuni HSR42 quickly, would they ( Harley dealer or general parts shop?)

At this point it's still looking like I'll have an Apres Mushter (no bike), DID get down to try and get the XV done this weekend, issue yesterday was that we couldn't find the float bowl that I bought to replace the cracked one (found that last night in the car that I'd left at home), but today, we were expecting it to fire up OK with the new float bowl in, it DID fire up, but every time it'd start pumping fuel out the overflow pipe.

PART of the problem was that the lining was coming out of one of the lengths of fuel hose and leaving debris through the system, PART of the problem was that the float was bent down a bit ( possibly by the same impact that cracked the float bowl, but we seem to have gotten all the crap out of the carb and lines, and the float seems right now, but while the delay before it plays up has gone from about 2 seconds to over 40 seconds, it still plays up.

Before I order the parts from the States ( NO hope of getting them in time), though I'd ask if any of the good people here could point me to someone local that I may be able to get them from this week>

Thanks,

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Mikuni HSR42 parts or rebuild kit

Post by Prof » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Not familiar with designations of Mikuni, but what about racing places and go cart places?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

neale

Post by neale » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Hey Prof, the HSR (42, 45, 48 ) are designed and made for Harleys, that's why I was asking here.

NB: They were sometimes rebadged as Screaming Eagle units, like mine is.

Neale
Neale

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 am

Try K&M in Richmond Adelaide. They carry a lot of gear and are very good to deal with. Could be express posted.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

steve

Post by steve » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Dunno how ya went but anything Mikuni call these guys http://mikunioz.com/index.html

neale

Post by neale » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Deni Dave wrote:Dunno how ya went but anything Mikuni call these guys http://mikunioz.com/index.html
Rebuild kit should almost be here, but it's good to have a relatively local supplier.

Actually, already got a win from that site. I couldn't work out why the Harley cables that the Mikuni site said were right for the HSR42 wouldn't fekkin work, the Mikunioz site pointed out that the EARLY HSR42 ( like I have) requires specific Mikuni cables, and lists the part numbers, will try them tomorrow to see whether they have any in stock.

Thanks Dave,

Neale
Neale

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 pm

No worries, I think you'll find the choke cable different. From memory I used a bit of a hybrid set up of cable & spring on mine years ago. Those guys are good to deal with and have heaps of info on the site. you'll also find it's actually cheaper to buy off them than out of the states on most things.

I have set up both the hsr42 & a 45 on a few bikes, going through the cycle again at the moment but with a pair of vm38's on my shovel, slowly getting there with it now.

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; Harley...”