Starting Over...

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to XS 650 Yamahas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Oldschoolpaulie

Starting Over...

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I don't wish to repeat myself too much in this forum, but I was recently involved in a bad crash on my chopper and its totaled. Thinking about a new build in my head makes me feel better about it. What I want to do is take a 1700 Roadstar and rake the neck to at least 50 degrees, then mount a springer front end at least 10" over, which is what my last bike was.
Has anyone here done this? What all did it entail? So far, my research has indicated that you have to cut the stock steering stop off, and grind down part of the ignition mounting assembly. Looney makes steering stems and bearings that will allow you to bolt just about any HD front end on a Roadie.
Anyone have better/more information?

Bearcx

Re: Starting Over...

Post by Bearcx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Bit hard to say Paulie, Australian rules are WAY different to our brothers in the US. I dont reckon 10" over and 50 degrees rake would pass any state in Oz.
Bike sounds awesome, though. :D . You must be recovering, if you're already thinking of thenext project.....
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Oldschoolpaulie

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Forget about the rules. We can do this here, I just need to know how to get there.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am

The v twin Yamahas have double thickness metal attaching the steering head, so a reciprocating saw (sawsall) is needed to cut off old steering head. Japs seem to use much thinnner material and more of it than HD, so you will need to make sure the reattaching of a steering head is done strong enough as 50 degrees of rake also adds a lot more stress to the neck area of the frame.

Alignment is important too and you will see some examples on The Chopper Shed threads.

At 50 degrees rake I'd suggest you work out how much trail you will have and modify the rockers to match the trail with what you like. Have a look at the Sugar Bear springers... I think thier design has much to recommend them.

Keep us informed.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Oldschoolpaulie

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:26 am

Prof wrote:The v twin Yamahas have double thickness metal attaching the steering head, so a reciprocating saw (sawsall) is needed to cut off old steering head. Japs seem to use much thinnner material and more of it than HD, so you will need to make sure the reattaching of a steering head is done strong enough as 50 degrees of rake also adds a lot more stress to the neck area of the frame.

Alignment is important too and you will see some examples on The Chopper Shed threads.

At 50 degrees rake I'd suggest you work out how much trail you will have and modify the rockers to match the trail with what you like. Have a look at the Sugar Bear springers... I think thier design has much to recommend them.

Keep us informed.
Already thought about the Sugarbears... and I like them... but they're so danged expensive. I will look into seeing if DNA can give me what I need w/ the rake and trail sorted out by rockers.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 pm

I've been told DNA are a bit flimsy over 6" extensions... I'd check with a few guys who ride with longer ones. You could get a springer 6" longer than you need and then get a metal fabricating shop to do some curved rockers. I'm planning to knock up a set the same style as sugar bear, but we can't get much over 6" and 40 degrees and stay legal over here... which is a real bummer.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; Yamaha...”