Importing parts

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
FTWMC01

Importing parts

Post by FTWMC01 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Just wondering on the process for importing late model engine and other parts from the us do I need approval, do I just pay supplier and get them to ship
Any helpwould be ppreciated thanks Kev

Aussiehard

Re: Importing parts

Post by Aussiehard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Pretty sure it needs to be cleaned and drained of all fluids if it's a used one……other than that think it be pretty straight forward

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Generally speaking you do not need a DOTARS permit for just the engine.

Clean and drained will make Quarantine happy.

You will need to do a N10 Formal Entry for Customs. shouldn't be any duty but there's GST on price paid and transport and insurance.
Also bear in mind that with engine parts, if it's under a thousand bucks and post is an option, you should use it.

Depending on the value of the motor you should consider using a broker. A broker may cost you a coupla hundred bucks but the time and money you save can be worth it.
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

FTWMC01

Post by FTWMC01 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the help next project is getting closer and closer :D

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:26 am

I import engines every container . Current container has 3 and the next so far has 5 . So , I know what the reg's are .

Have to be thoroughly cleaned . Numbers have to be visible . No oil or fluids are permitted so the engine must be sans-fluids . You need to have a Bill of Sale that shows the sellers name , address and phone number as well as the same for your details as the buyer .

Most of the used engines I ship are sent in those heavy duty plastic tubs with lids you buy at the Hardware Store . That way they are easy to lift , will contain any leaking oil and are easily opened for inspection .

You do not need an Import Approval for just an Engine just a complete Bill of Sale as described above . You will have to pay GST and if the engine is not thoroughly clean AQIS Steam Cleaning
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

JAC

Post by JAC » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am

I recevied my motor/mechanicals from my bike I had stripped and sent from the US. Motor/primary cover/gearbox/cables were all filthy, and there was still oil coming out of everything! Not suggesting you would try to repeat that exercise but the enforcement of the rules is inconsistent.....

My frame and wheels land tomorrow I expect now that I have suggested they were lenient first time around I will called reamed this time.

JC

Return to “Import advice...”