Importing and registering a chopper

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
Kerr1988

Importing and registering a chopper

Post by Kerr1988 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 am

Im looking at bringing in a 64 BSA Lightning with the hope of registering it. Ive heard its next to impossible to register an imported custom motorcycle (mainly because of the after market frame) and id just like to know if anyone has personal experience or knowledge of any kind about how i can go about having one registered (vic) or what i need to look out for or provide.
Thanks

Aussiehard

Re: Importing and registering a chopper

Post by Aussiehard » Tue May 29, 2012 10:50 pm

If you get it past customs, then you need to do an ICV. Get full engineering done on it.

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 am

Getting it through Customs is the easy bit.
Front up with clear title including registration documents and purchase reciepts, DOTARS permit to import (pre 87) and get a Nature 10 (entry for home consumption).
Pay the appropriate Duty and GST on purchace price and cost of transport and insurance and away you go.

My experience of Vicroads is you will require a VASS certificate ($350.00) a R.W.C and the DOTARS to register.

As Aussie says, the problem with custom stuff is getting the engineering certificates which is why folks I know register stock and then take their chances with mod's afterwards.
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Kerr1988

Post by Kerr1988 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Good advice, cheers fellas.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 am

I import choppers often . Mostly late models with expensive parts from PM , S&S , Baker and others . We strip them down in LA and ship them like that . Nice and easy . It is not impossible to get them passed over here but it is difficult . You will have to modify the bike to meet current ADR's . I have a client attempting to have a 1960's Panhead in an early Santee frame complianced at the date of re-manufacture (1974) as that was when the vehicle was made into it's current form .

This week we had a client successfully import a "1974" custom rigid . He got an Import Approval for it and everything . It somehow got passed . But , the mods on the bike were that extreme that it stands ZERO chance of ever being road legal . All I did was the freight on that one .

Best thing to do is to run it by a professional Importer like myself and get a professional opinion . Cuts straight to the source
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Kerr1988

Post by Kerr1988 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 am

cheers mate,
in regards to this bike. it was rebuilt in 74 but the loop frame was untouched.
So the engine and the loop frame are stock of the old bike but its had a weld on hardtail and a new front end installed pre 74
Does this warrant me any leeway?

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:36 am

The rules are clear . The frame must be stock and unmodified . You can sometimes get away with things but it's rare for a bike that modified to pass . In mant states now Imports made between 1988 and 1974 require an Engineers Certificate . Cars from 72-88 . NSW poassed it's last year and several others have the same in place to be implemented this year .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Return to “Import advice...”