US imports

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
RickB56

US imports

Post by RickB56 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:37 am

I apologize if this is covered somewhere in the forums, but need a quick answer.

If someone is heading to the US this week, is it conceivable that they can buy and ship back a bike by the end of the month? What would need to be done?

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 am

Rick, got a mate over there at the moment buying a couple of bikes,

I take it your looking at a specific bike give me a bell on 0423 257 352 and I will see if I can contact him.
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 pm

The answer is no.
Dont even consider it without doing some serious homework.
No.
If only it was that easy.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 am

Ol Fart wrote:The answer is no.
Dont even consider it without doing some serious homework.
No.
If only it was that easy.
+1 import approval takes 6 weeks at least and you dont wanna land a bike without it, or its crushin time!
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Are all those ads that qoute $1500.00 - $2500.00 to bring in a bike and all the paperwork is done are to be treated as suss, as i am looking at maybe bringing in a bike next year, i know it pays to do your homework and ask qeustions before handing over the hard earned.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am

Is it a matter of, if you have somewhere to park it in the US while sorting out the paperwork, it's doable?

You do see a few imported bikes on Ebay here. There is a guy in Mansfield listing one or 2 at times. They never seem to be ready to go though.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 am

I normally get individual bikes shipped for a grand Aussie dollars out of California but you gotta get them to the shipper and I do my own import approvals, that way I know all the paperwork is correct. You are less likely to get stitched up by a company saying oh no we own it now and you have to buy it off us and tracking shipping containers is quite easy when you know how and who owns the containers in the first place.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Sounds like it can be done. But best left to someone like Brassy to get it in.

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:01 am

[quote="RickB56"]Sounds like it can be done. But best left to someone like Brassy to get it in.[/quote]
that is a good idea but i guess you would have to cross his palm with silver first.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:30 am

Brassy is from QLD. Would that be gold.....as in XXXX! :wink:

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:30 am

This much i know:

Purchasing in the states is easy but depending which state you are in there are differant requirements. ie: california requires change of ownership to be done within 7 days and you must provide a US residential address. Also if you are going to be riding the bike while over there you need a minimum standard of personal indemnity insurance.
You must provide export notification (prevents theft insurance claims apparently) when you export.
Costs so far: $1200 for shipping agent fees. This is for LCL cargo door to door from the agents business in Fresno to the agents business in Lilydale. It includes crating, shipping,port charges and import approval. The agent has agreed to commence permit approvals (he claims 4 weeks) while still over in the US and will store bike in Fresno if there is a hold up.
On arrival you must have import approval and you will be up for Quarantine fees ($36,00 I think) and Customs fee which include 10% GST on purchase price and ALL transport and insurance costs plus yet another processing charge.
As a believer in O'TOOLES law (MURPHY was an optimist) I still don't know if this is a doable proposition but when my mate gets back i will do a complete feasability study along with a cost analysis breakdown :lol: :lol: and let you all know.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:36 am

I reckon it is not fun until you know the ins and outs. I'd go with Brassy or Chopaweeza. Anyone who is currently making it happen.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:37 am

But hay Fluffer, where is your mate at the moment? I've been watching a bike or two in the Seattle area. Just can't see buying without someone having a look. My daughter and her boyfriend are heading over to Seattle today.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:38 am

Hey Rick Seattle is way up north and freight charges to California would not be cheap and shipping from the U.S eastern sea board is quite expensive as the bike has to take the long way round. I would be lookin at bikes in Ca, Az, Oregon, nevada and so-on plus they salt there roads in winter which creates rust so places where it doesn't snow are probably better and make sure you get a reputable shipper I had one bike take 3 months to get here + sit on the wharf for another 2 months incurring storage charges because the shipper didn't pay there bills. I was just lucky that I new the container number the company that owned the container and security clearance to get my bike out of the container otherwise it would have been sold at auction and beyond most peoples control, so be very careful and get the low down on your shipper before you decide to go with them. I am speaking from expierience!

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 am

RickB56 wrote:But hay Fluffer, where is your mate at the moment? I've been watching a bike or two in the Seattle area. Just can't see buying without someone having a look. My daughter and her boyfriend are heading over to Seattle today.
Got no flamin' idea. He's probably on a beach, drinking Jack and being a typical Aussie (perving).
Supposed to be buying a bike and doing the coat run frm La La Land to San Francisco and catching up with KeithSB on the way thru.
Sooner or later he will give me a bell (if only to gloat) and I will find out what he's been up to. :?

Return to “Import advice...”