Chopper kit advice

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
Tracker

Post by Tracker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm

everyone i know that has put a wide bum kit on there bike wingers about the handleing usually cause the use a skinny front wheel, great if you just want to cruise the highways but rubbish if you want an all rounder
ride hard stay free

Post by 1200 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:24 pm

marcaant

If you what to build a bike your self give Ian at call at VPW 03 8405 9212,
He is helping me put something like the SCW Bike together right now. Has all the stuff in stock, aways give me a great discount. and has the right Parts to pass ADR, He also knows all the Engineers in each state so he can help you there. Also if you buy from him you have a warranty.Good luck with trying to send a part back to the US if it's wrong or Brakes.

marcaant

Post by marcaant » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 am

Cheers 1200,

I'll give Ian a bell and see what he says. I spoke to Peter from hogwild he seems pretty helpful and basically can get any part u need and put a kit together that will work well. Build time is 45 hrs but I do things pretty meticulously so it wouldn't surprise me if it takes
me 100+ hrs. Anyway Peter knew his way around icbw and also said the engs in each state know his product and work with clients to get the bike licensed.

Hope all this info helps others out who r looking at the daunting task of doin all this too.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Seems to be a lot of Godfather kits going to WA. Try asking on Club Chopper. Randy has a good rep on that site, and this kit seems to be the only one speced especially for our market.

Check that new Chopper magazine. They have a feature on one from NZ.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 am

As far as a kit bike go's....
That one looks alright.
I wonder if you could call the manufacture and ask for the same thing with a normal size rear?
Ride it like you can fix it.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:42 am

A very good point made by El Skitzo (the gumtree ad) and one which I think you can see looking at all the used "new school" choppers being sold on Ebay etc in the U.S. You can easily spend $30,000 - $60,000 building or buying a flash new bike. But you will never get that back from it when you need to sell it.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 am

Fools that pay someone to do all the work on their bikes, buy $5000 wheels and pay 10 G's for paint and chrome deserve to to lose $40 000 once they decide that motor-bicycling is not for them.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 am

Marcaant, buy that kit, get wheels that don't make a statement (themed or spikey), and paint it black.

If this is what you want, then get it. You won't be happy with comprimise, and thumb your nose at the naysayers.

Post by 1200 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:07 am

Let me tell you about the Good and the Bad of the God Father Bikes.
The Good
Kraft Tech Frame, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank and Front Fender

The Bad
DNA Rear Fender
Wheels are from China,
Brakes DNA
Unknown Engine, Most of it from China
Grear Box made in Korea
Primary, Made in China
Rear Fender DNA

They claim that they meet ADR, but they dont have Emarked Lights, They dont have a Speedo that meets the standard and they dont have ADR Brake lines. Ive also got my douts about the Exaust as the rule is the Baffles must not be removable, and Super Traps have.

This is all part of the resion I bought my one from VPW,
My bike is almost done Iv'e spent about $25,000 . I was able to choise the Parts that I whanted on it to make it my own.
It has a Americam Spension Front End, RC Comp Wheels with 7 year warranty, All the Tin Work is Kraft Tech. It has the right Lights and Speedo, Wilwood Brakes. Ultima Engine with a 2 year warranty.
It's been and Pasted with the Engineer and Im just waiting on my VIN Number.
Last edited by 1200 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 am

KeithinSB wrote:As far as a kit bike go's....
That one looks alright.
I wonder if you could call the manufacture and ask for the same thing with a normal size rear?
So do you mean a softtail but made out of chinese garbage and at twice the price or are you taking the proverbial :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Brassy wrote:
KeithinSB wrote:As far as a kit bike go's....
That one looks alright.
So do you mean a softtail but made out of chinese garbage and at twice the price or are you taking the proverbial :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
After thinking about this, I think the guys at MidWest are reaching for a new market to off all those 300m tire monstrosity's and hope you guys down south will snap em up before someone realizes that cool and rideable could be two different things.
PS.
the trumpy is looking sweet!
Ride it like you can fix it.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

After thinking about this, I think the guys at MidWest are reaching for a new market to off all those 300m tire monstrosity's and hope you guys down south will snap em up before someone realizes that cool and rideable could be two different things.
PS.
the trumpy is looking sweet![/quote]
How sweet,
Wheres the pics matey. I thought the idea was to have something cool and rideable, not a cafe decoration to sip latte soy dandelions around impressing your upwardly mobile crew of metrosexuals. :mrgreen:

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:49 am

Seriously go take a look at this bike:
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehi ... Z257125619

No way you'd get a kit bike on the road in WA for less than that! This bike has been for sale for ages, so could probably knock him down further... Pretty sure SuperCycles still sell these new for around $50K
http://www.supercycles.com.au/n54/sceptre
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 pm

El Skitzo wrote:Seriously go take a look at this bike:
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehi ... Z257125619

No way you'd get a kit bike on the road in WA for less than that! This bike has been for sale for ages, so could probably knock him down further... Pretty sure SuperCycles still sell these new for around $50K
http://www.supercycles.com.au/n54/sceptre
Price $28,500.00 Engine Displacement (cc)1600 Year 2008
A production custom made by Saxon Motorcycles Arizona.
It is fully ADR compliant and is imported by Super Cycles in Osborne Park.

It is Black Cherry in colour and has lots of chrome and has 80 spoke wheels and a 260 rear tyre.

It produces 80hp (75kw) at the rear wheel and 91 ft/lbs torque (123nm).

Great looking bike and good fun to ride. Will consider a BMW RT1200 (low suspension version) or BMW 1200CL as a trade.

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:34 pm

OK boys.
Victory just launched a factory bobber. Its called a Hi Ball. 106 cubes Vtwin, 97 HP at the back wheel, 113 Ft lbs of Torque, spoke wheels, welded apes and white walls. It also handles and stops and in between those two tasks, it handles. Just like your $40k chopper eh?
Its brand new, no back yard expert has had his greasy little paws all over it and it comes with a two year warranty.
Dont know what the price point will be but for a start here bike, probably in the low 20's.
Google it. BTW Roland Sands got one and put a side shift on it. So not only Arlen Ness, now they got Roland Sands heartily endorsing them as well.
Ha !
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Return to “Import advice...”