Ultima kit bike compliance and rego

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
Canberra

Ultima kit bike compliance and rego

Post by Canberra » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey team,

I just bought an Ultima kit bike from King Pin Choppers in Brisbane. (the bike is all I expected and more)

I made contact with an engineer and he said that because the kit is a production kit. It could be impossible to register and I may have improperly imported it and could be breaking the law?

He thinks the law is cracking down on these "bike in a box" kits as it would be the same as buying a motorcycle in the USA and dismantle it then rebuild it in Australia like an import loop hole they are putting a stop to?

I have seen my exact bike registered and on the road in OZ biker and many other Ultima bikes in other magazines all registered.

Im really freaking out about this.

Any advise or help? I would be in debit to you.

Regards

Kai.
Last edited by Canberra on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Nothing intelligent to add sorry. But if you had bought each peice individually and constructed it in your kitchen, wouldnt it be a Independantly Constructed Vehicle (ICV) then an engineering signitory merely needs to do the appropriate tests (noise, braking and lighting) sure this will cost about 1300-1500 and in particular you may need to change the lighting lenses to 'E' marked...as well as potentiolly needing to do a little bit of fabrication (everybody drink) to extend guards etc....but as long as its within spec....(550 rule etc) you should be able to register it....if they put the thing together in the shop and sold you a pile of parts bolted together, i dont see how that will affect rego......

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Canberra

Post by Canberra » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Thank you for writing anything will help at this stage.

Your right I think its just all red tap, what does it matter how it came about. Its within specks and the integrity is fine. But not according the this engineer? I am waiting his confirmation (his making some phone calls) In the mean time I'm sweating bullets.

There has to be away around this, there just has to be.! Is it just wording? I don’t understand. If the bike is to speck who cares about the place of origin.

I have herd of frames being X-rayed? Is that mandatory for a (ICV) Hypothetically, had I built it piece by piece would I need all the individual receipts ? Some people work on bikes for years are they expected to keep them all?

Thanks for writing.

Canberra

Post by Canberra » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

P.S

When I ordered the kit I changed the frame pipes and forks. Maybe that changes it from a "production bike" All parts have been pulled off the shelf, this bike as never been assembled.

I can do all that, change the fenders, do some mods, whatever it takes. The bike is still raw, just about to start on the lume.

Whats lighting lenses to "E"?

Thanks again

BlueCollarMal

Bike Kits

Post by BlueCollarMal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Well where do I Start
Personally what i would do is ask Bommer to re invoice the kit in seperate invoices splitting it all up etc
Buy a few items like optional extras you may want from other suppliers
This will probably get you an ICV

Get the bike built as fast as you can including all the Rego requirments before the rules change

i have just completed one for a friend and mine is nearly completed

i can guarantee that i will never help anyone with an ICV again
Then i will Never Ever do one for myself again either

With regards to the Lighting requirments, ask your engineer to give you a copy of what he needs for the ICV

Remember an ICV means you will be building the bike to 2010 Standards and Regulations

Good Luck and hope to see some pics as you develop

Cheers Mal
RIDE LONG STAY SAFE, BUY LOCAL AND SURVIVE

Bones777

Post by Bones777 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Nothing to really add here except I hope it works out in your favour, man.
On Iron Horse He Glady Dies.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:03 pm

i knew a guy that tried to engineer one of these and had all kinds of problems it seems someone over here has rights to import these as a complete bike and are now no longer seen as a icv which blows chunks i just cant remember the companies name but it may come to me.
Good Luck and best wishes

Canberra

Post by Canberra » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks guys, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel..... will keep you posted....

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:10 am

So its bikes too?
They have been discussing hassles that are happening lately with importing hot rods on http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopi ... 37&start=0

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Dave on Ozrodders wrote:I spoke to an importer about this the other day and apparently quite a number of cars have been brought in with approval and then presented for 'rego' as genuine cars but are in fact full repros. The worst offender is believe it or not, the 32 Ford! It seems that a number of people have been very busy getting titles on repro cars, getting import approval based on the title, then importing them and expecting to get rego here as a 32 Ford! Now that they are starting to be presented for rego the *#@** has hit the fan!

It would seem that anything 'modified' will be subject to very, very close scrutiny thanks to some of our 'fellow' rodders! From what I hear 'Choppers' are also a problem! Approval times have also blown out as a result. The bottom line here is that if you are going to buy a car from the U.S. make sure BEFORE you hand over cash that it is a) genuine (as in original chassis and body) b) has a correct U.S. title and c) have up to date photographs and all necessary information. If you buy a full repro car or a steel car with a repro chassis then in all likelihood you will NOT get an Import Approval.

I am still waiting for information on bringing in just steel bodies. I would hope this would not be affected, in fact it may encourage the local chassis manufacturers. If I here more I will post it here but if the car you are looking at fits into these categories I would hold off for now!

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:34 pm

I've seen two of these recently rego'd in WA in the last couple of years.

You just have to treat it as an ICV and make sure when you build it that you comply with all 2010 ADRs. You'll almost certainly need to have the neck X-rayed.

I actually had a sit on one of them, but it was not my cup of tea with the bike being unbalanced and wanting to fall over to the left, because of the offset drive train to cope with the wide tyre.
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “Import advice...”