Preparing a seat pan for trim

Custom solo motor cycle seats & General
leather Artwork...
El Skitzo

Preparing a seat pan for trim

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:35 am

Hi Leatheroo

I've got a seat pan which I've just finished up and will be mounting in coming weeks, and after that I'll obviously be looking to get it trimmed. My last two seats had hand tooled leather trim jobs done by Kansas Charley and were both amazing works, but I like the textured background effects you're able to do and think that will better suit the design I have in mind for this next seat, so I'm looking forward to working with you on this soon.

I have a couple of questions about preparing the seat pan and thought your answers might help guide others.

I'm hard mounting this seat to the bike and there will be a spot on the underside of the pan near the nose which will be resting against the frame, so I want to leave most of the underside of the seat pan without any covering to prevent leather or felt from getting damaged (like examples below)

My questions are:
(1) I was planning on getting the seat pan powder coated gloss black. Will the adhesives you use to stick the padding to the top of the seat pan bond properly on a powder coated surface or would you prefer the seat pan in bare metal?

(2) Would the small amount of trim that does wrap around to the underside of the seat pan need to be held in place with rivets or would adhesive be strong enough to secure the trim in place? If rivets are required would you prefer me to drill them, and if so what kind of spacing apart do you recommend and what size holes need to be drilled?

Thanks!
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

leatheroo

Re: Preparing a seat pan for trim

Post by leatheroo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:04 pm

You have raised some good questions......power coating is ok, the west eagle pans i have used in the past were all powder coated and the adhesive holds whether coated or not..so the preference is up to you. With this style of the leather for the underneath, I would definitely prefer to use rivets and would probably use adhesive as well. I would need the holes to be drilled by you and they could be about 5 or 6 cm a part or somewhere in between...they look best if the spacing is even all the way around. The holes need to be 4mm in diameter.
cheers
caroline

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Excellent Caroline, thanks for the speedy response! I'll put a nice even spread of 4mm holes in the seat pan after I've mounted it and will definitely go ahead with the powder coating.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 pm

A big thanks to Leatheroo for the awesome trim job on my seat. I just got the seat back in the mail today and its absolutely stunning!! A perfect job Leatheroo, I could not be happier :)

Here it is sitting in place. It looks great and the way you've covered the leather maintains all the gaps I had around the seat just right. Hopefully only another month or so before I can put some miles on it and break it in.

Return to “Leatheroo”