TROPHIES

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!
JP

TROPHIES

Post by JP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:01 am

Choppers Australia is proud to announce a new award category and unique opportunity thanks to South Australian Knife Maker: Ken McDonald.
A member of Choppers Australia, Ken has seen a valuable opportunity to encourage those embarking upon 'Custom Builds' to aspire to innovative perfection.
Ken McDonald has been kind enough to donate a unique "Custom Bowie Knife" trophy to be awared as first prize for a brand new category of award:- "Most Innovative Unfinished Project"
An unprecedented category judged by Steve Gregory who has many years of extensive knowlege within this field.
Choppers Australia would strongly encourage those with an incomplete project to enter. First place determination will not be founded upon the percentage of the entrants project that has been completed; rather judgement will be based upon:-

1. Innovative and original design
2. Creative use of materials
3. Amateur home built over professionally built (keeping within the original Choppers Australia theme).
4. The judges decision will be final and absolute.

In an attempt to preserve the standard of Choppers Australia, entrants are encouraged to engage in custom "home" design rather than employ the skills of professional workshop efforts.

Chopper Australia sincerely thanks Ken McDonald for this wonderful opportunity and establishment of such an award so as to recongise and encourage the efforts of Chopper artists around Australia.

[/b]
Jeff

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Cool JP.

Hope to miss out on the trophy, by finishing it, and riding there. :lol:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:58 pm

Does that mean i can't enter then?
3. Amateur home built over professionally built (keeping within the original Choppers Australia theme).

Cheers :D

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Trophy Hunter
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Neo Dutch wrote:Trophy Hunter
Didn't say i wanted it Dave, was just a question.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:29 pm

It's a poser PC. I am aware also that a lot of SA guys get frame work and various other stuff done by me and others... so where does that put them.

In my situation I encourage owners (and most guys take it up) to work in the shop with me so it really is their bike, but it ends up properly built... so that probably allows them to claim home built and I know that you do similarly.

In my mind, CA position has been to avoid the mega buck creations that are all done in a shop or a situation where everything is bolt on. Paint is a particular concern, in that megabucks get spent on a 'professional' job that makes it hard for home builders to compete.

Re trophies...
1. We have twelve trophies for mega ride which I think include two that relate more to non fully home built.

2. Our trophy inscriptions do not include the word BEST, firstly because that is so personal, secondly because it means professional work would get the trophy or be angry if they didn't and thirdly because we are about encouraging ordinary guys to have a go.

3. I have always downplayed the seriousness of the trophies. its the chopper not the trophy that is important.

While they are valued, trophies are meant to be for recogniton of non-professional effort and talent.

I believe that a key attitude to our success as a community of chopper enthusiasts is to "promote others before yourself".

I want to encourage participants to be thrilled for whoever gets the trophy... because we can't all get one anyway and because we know the trophy receiver will be pretty chuffed to have gotten recognition. In CA, winning a trophy doesn't make you a hero, just recognises you've done a great job building your chopper.

4. Our judges are required to talk with each owner about their chopper to find out just what they have done and what they have tried to achieve. At the presentation, each judge is required to explain why the trophy has been awarded... and that will include recognition of what the owner has done and what has been done in a shop... In that way we often end up with trophies that are sometimes awarded to a bike that is not the 'best' but considering the level of effort is deemed most worthy of the trophy.

This approach I think is something that comes out or our unique Choppers Australia spirit. As we stick with it, we will ensjure we are NOT contributing to that aspect of modern chopper building that we all hate... the billet barge, mega buck clone, and 'hero' shops that produce extreme unridable show bike rubbish.

Our focus is on encouraging home build, ridden bike not showbikes.

This is not how "it's done" by the mainstream, but it's the essence of what we are about.

Back to PC's question. Maybe as we get a few more shops participating, we will have a separate category, " Shop owners personal machines" would be a possibility.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Just for the record i have never won a Trophy for any of my personal bikes.
Probably as i don't feel the need to enter my bike into shows.

Bikes i have built for customers have won Trophies and some of them have offered or given me their Trophy as they may have only done a couple of bits (if any) so don't feel as it's theirs to claim.
Which is fair enough, there's a lot of people who have bikes built by shops, get Trophies and take all the credit, that's their call i guess.

I suggested to many show organisers in the UK that maybe they should have a Pro-built, 50% Pro-built etc categories on some shows to try an make it fairer to the home built bikes. Some shows now do this.

So to call me a Trophy hunter is not only unfounded but also very wrong.

Cheers.

:D

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:53 pm

So how do you sit with my comments above PC?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Andrew CA Admin wrote:So how do you sit with my comments above PC?
If there's say three judges, and they all agree that a bike has the "best" paint, frame, engineering etc then i'd say that they have all agreed across a range of interests and styles that they all like.
So instead of "best" what do we have?

I don't have a problem with the word best being put on Trophies.

If you say that no "Pro" built bikes can be judged then there'll sure be a few from QLD that won't get looked at.
Then comes the question how do you define a pro?
There are some home builders who put many hours into building bikes, are they pro's?
Or is someone only a pro if they own a signed shop?

I'm not being argumentative or controversial, just posing questions.

Cheers :D

XSChop

Hmmm?

Post by XSChop » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Firstly how do I get my Unfinished Project to SA to be judged ?

Secondly I think the word Best usually implies Shiny, Flash paint, and all washed and polished up.
That's not the definition of the word but I am sure it's what the judges of most shows award it for.
McMod have sponsored trophies over they years and we always give them for Most Radical or Most Fun to ride or Bike I'd most like to ride home etc to avoid this Pretty orientation.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 pm

This will be a long topic. :D

Maybe we should have a " the one built by someone else, and paid for by me" trophy.

I know, I'm not helping.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:25 pm

That's fine PC, it is to try to cover this situation that the judges have to talk to the owner and then explain their choice. We'll probably never get it exactly right, but we can keep working on it.

JP is doing up a post listing the trophies we've come up with for the mega ride, so I won't pinch his thunder, but they do include a pro built trophy.

Trailoring stuff from interstate is not expected, but Jeff and Ken were really keen to have this one as they wanted to encourage the SA blokes at least to bring their part built stuff as there is a lot going on at the moment and they thought a bunch of part done bikes would be an interesting part of the show.

A car and trailer are coming from melbourne and I think a car is coming form NSW or Qld too.

XS, mc Mod obviously has the same thoughts about flash expense as CA.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:52 am

I think there should be a trophy for the person coming from the farthest away also :lol:
Ride it like you can fix it.

JP

keithinSB

Post by JP » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:28 am

That was to be a supprise trophy,now you have let the cat out of the bag.

jp
Jeff

sks

Post by sks » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”