Mega Ride Route Qld

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!

Mega Ride Route Qld

Postby BobbaZooki » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:02 am

OK.... so this is the official route for the QLD / northern NSW crew
Day 1..... Brisbane to Moree 483ks
Day 2 ..... Moree to Dubbo 380ks
Day 3 ..... Dubbo to Narrandera 480ks
Day 4 ..... Narrandera to Melbourne ????? ks
Day 5 .... Melbourne to Warrnambool ????? ks
Day 6 .... Warrnambool to Willunga (S.A) ???? ks
This route will take in the Great Ocean Road into S.A. .. we also decided that DUBBO would be the ideal point of location for members coming from Sydney and surrounding areas to hook-up with the QLD members , once were in VIC , Ol Fart will take us thru to S.A . This route was chosen as the "route less travelled" for members with time restraints ,average speed of 90-100ks with 5hr's of solid riding ... caravan park's are the prefer ed places to "crash" for the night, they have most of the amenities , if one feels the need to freshen up ,and they're cheap ... DEFINITELY NO BACK-UP VECHICLE ... members might be interested in taking out some kind of R.A.C.Q roadside assist type cover as a precaution ........
XSChop can help with members in his area to get organised to meet and ride thru to Dubbo , same go's with Ol Fart in Melbourne (not to Dubbo) , members can organise themself's thru him , the idea would be that a large chunk of C.A members would ride into S.A. on mass ...... think about it :D
BobbaZooki

Mega Ride

Postby 78gold » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 am

Hi All,
Based on details above I have the following comments.

1. I will probably catch up with everyone in Melbourne and head accross from there. I am an ex Dubbo boy and dont think this ole frame will take the ride from Sydney - Dubbo - Narranderra - Melbourne easily.

2. I may have a pseudo support vehicle with me as I would like my wife to come as well and she will not ride or be a pillion so if she comes will probably drive. As for point 1 above we will probably trailer the trumpy to Melbourne so it becomes a pseudo backup vehicle.

If this means that I am outside the parameters of what the ride is all about then let me know and I will give it a miss and catch up with all in Adelaide. I really dont mind and will not chuck a wobbly I just know my physical limitations :roll: .

Anyway just let me know what ya all think.
Nigel
78 Gold
78gold

Postby Spokes » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:11 am

One of the reasons behind no back up vehicle was costs.
Who was going to pay for the fuel and maintenance for the vehicles?

If people want to bring non-riding spouses and are happy to pay their own way then there I don't think anyone is going to say "No you can't come" as that would be childish.
Things to keep in mind though, if some one does use the services of the back up vehicle then it will have to be agreed between those people alone about chipping in.

Also, as none of us have done the road from dubbo to Narrandera before - How bad is it and when was the last time you saw it and what is wrong with it?

It is never to late to change? We'll just have to have another weekend to plan it. :D
Last edited by Spokes on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST
Spokes

Postby chopperal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for all the effort you guys put into getting to B'zooker's, and for all your planning. I'm sure I speak for everyone contmplating on going on the ride. Thanks especially to you B'zooker for having the idea in the first place, planning it, and than hosting it. Sounds like it was a fantastic time!

As far as the NSW leg is concerned, considering 78Gold's concerns- and possibly other's which may come up - could we consider the following:

Since the Qld contingent are coming down that route, perhaps some of the guys from NSW could hook up with you further south than Dubbo, i.e. Parkes, or Forbes, or anywhere down to Narrandera. This may be better, especially for the likes of Cromag, coming from Wollongong.

I don't know if that'd be any better for you Nige. I'd be happy to meet up with the Q'landers anywhere down that route.

cheers, al :)
chopperal

Postby bendnstretch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 am

I don't have a problem with that mate :D

It'll be cool to have you along.

More the merrier 8)
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!
bendnstretch

Postby chopperal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Ben. I'm looking forward meeting you all.

As to the psuedo vehicle, I agree with Spokes. If a spouse has the wherewithall to want to drive that distance, then good on her. And if she brings a trailer for hers & Nige's piece of mind I don't have a problem with that either.

So Nige, if you and Kerry do decide to start on the NSW leg, there's a veeery slight chance Tanya could cadge a lift - if that was ok.

chopperal

Back up vehicle

Postby 78gold » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:43 am

Guys,
If my Mrs comes along and we therefore have a backup if required I would be doing it for nix.
That is as I am bringing the vehicle for my own concerns I would not expect anyone to pay anything, even if they, and I hope no-one does, myself included, actually use the backup.

My recollection of those roads are that they are an issue with the local wildlife especially early morning and later afternoon. I have hit a couple in my old ute.
The road was acceptable but camber etc is non existant an many corners and they tend to repair the roads rather than relay which can cause issues.
It is a boring run (They dont call them the western plains for nothing) and dependant on time of day fuel stops may be a bit far between. Nothing that cant be accounted for but it does take time out of the travelling day.
Nigel
78 Gold
78gold

Cadge a ride

Postby 78gold » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:46 am

Al,
I can tell you that if someone wants to travel down with Kerry they would be most welcome.
In fact I think I have a better chance of getting her to go if she would have company.
Regards
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold
78gold

Postby Spokes » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:10 pm

If anyone has ever sat on the freeways all the way from newcastle to melbourne then they can tell you - Boring.
So hopefully the western plains (as boring as it is) is still a better option than 1000kays of freeway.
As far as wildlife goes we have kept the distances down for each day deliberately so we can achieve most of our riding in the middle of the day and avoid the perils of the Dusk and Dawn animal movements. Thats never a garuuntee but it keeps the risk down.

As long as the road is acceptable then thats fine as we will have a few old bikes that are going to be keeping the speed down a little so it won't be a race and should make it a nice leisurely trip.

As far as the NSW guys meeting us. It doesn't really matter too much where you join the ride as long as we know when and where so we can expect you. XS has volunteered to organise you guys for the ride to Dubbo however I am sure he won't mind if you do your own thing and join us later. It's not the army!
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST
Spokes

Postby chopperal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Sounds good Spokes

We appreciate XS putting his hand up to coordinate the NSW leg, and representing us at the meeting.

I guess, now that we've got the results of your guy's efforts to work with, it's just a matter of fine tuning & coordinating amongst ourselves as to final plans re hooking up with you all.

As to Tanya driving down with Kerry Nige, we'll have to get together some time and work out what it'll cost. But I reckon (just between you and me) she'll go too.

Can you think of a point along the NSW route where you'd be happy to meet up with the Northerners?

chopperal

Catching Up

Postby 78gold » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:57 pm

Al,
I am happy to catch up anywhere, even dubbo I am just a bit worried about one o/night from Dubbo to Melbourne via Narrandera.
I may even head up a day early so fresh for the run from Dubbo to Melb.
Mate if Tanya wants to go It will cost you nothing in juice as I get my Hols petrol paid by work, so just accom etc.
Lets catch up about it, maybe a BBQ at mine, maybe a few other NSW members might like to catch up as well.
I am free most weekends except 13th to 15th Feb and Easter Weekend.
Catch Ya
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold
78gold

Postby Reaper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:16 pm

hi all
just let me know when and where for the bbq and i will see if i can make it , would be good to get to know some of you before the run , as for the meet up point with the QLD,ers i am thinking of going to QLd and doing the whole run
Reaper

2010 triumph america
Reaper

Mega Ride

Postby 78gold » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Also not sure what is happening in Melb but I can get us a place to pitch our tents etc at Melton which is on the West side and handy to get back accross to warnambool etc.

It is a couple of acres so plenty of tent space, can probably get all the bikes under cover as well.

Let me know if it of interest and I will see if its available.
Nigel
78 Gold
78gold

Postby chopperal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Fantastic Nige.

I'm 99.9.09% she'll go.

I'm not sure though, what you mean by 'o/night' from Dubbo to Melbourne, via Narrandera.

Isn't it:

-day3 Dubbo to Narrandera (presume sleep o/night)
-day4 Narrandera to Melbourne

Which raises the question - what times are we planning on leaving in the mornings and hoping to arrive at each destination, for example, re the above?

As for the BBQ, I can't make the weekend of the 21-22nd (father-in-law over from the land of the long grey cloud).

How's Sat 28th Feb or Sun 1st March sound?

chopperal

Postby midnight7503 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:45 pm

I like the route you have decided on, and give you guys credit for coming to a conclusion, {Spokes Nanderra is in England} I will be doing that run to West Wyalong in just over 2 weeks, so when I return, I will give you a 1/2 decent road report, even if Shaun does think my road reports suck :lol:
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”
midnight7503

Next

Return to Mega Ride 2009