Mega Ride Route

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!

Which Route from Brisbane to Melbourne

Pacific Highway skirting Sydney
46%
New England / Newell Highways
54%

Total votes: 13

sks

Post by sks » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Last edited by sks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Coast option looks like a sweet ride to me ...
:twisted:
Reaper

2010 triumph america

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Just got home after a run down the GOR to Wye River. It is truly a remarkable stretch of coast. The road surface is magnificant, the tide was way out so there was plenty of beach to see, the sea was a bright blue and the scenery was breathtaking. It was a 400 K round trip and after lunch and a couple of cold ones at the Wye River pub, we headed back to Melbourne Via Lorne and Deans Marsh.
You lot are going to be blown away by the GOR.
More Later.
Tired Ol Fart

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Ol Fart wrote:Just got home after a run down the GOR to Wye River. It is truly a remarkable stretch of coast. The road surface is magnificant, the tide was way out so there was plenty of beach to see, the sea was a bright blue and the scenery was breathtaking. It was a 400 K round trip and after lunch and a couple of cold ones at the Wye River pub, we headed back to Melbourne Via Lorne and Deans Marsh.
You lot are going to be blown away by the GOR.
More Later.
Tired Ol Fart
Sounds great.
Looking forward to it already!! :D

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Ditto :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 am

i like that coast idea too, sleepin on the beach 8)
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

sks

Post by sks » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Last edited by sks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:48 pm

If your doin the GOR then you could continue to Mt. Gambier & up the SA coast to Adelaide.

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:56 am

That sounds good to me Bacca.

It just depends if there are any traffic lights as some people don't like to stop. :?
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

pommychopper
Site Admin

Re: long way

Post by pommychopper » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:22 am

XSChop wrote:Had a look at your great map and IMHO going throught the centre of Melbourne in order to take longer using a ferry doesn't yet sound enticing.

Personally I don't like riding in traffic, lights and stop signs etc because I can't get neutral unless still on the move and not always even then and can't hold the clutch in for long and no electric leg so have to resort to switching off and re kick starting that is if it doesn't stall of it's own accord while idling. Don't know but there may be others in similar boats too.

But you did alude to some Reason for traversing the city so I'll wait to hear that.
Good job you've got 11 months to get it sorted then Phil!! :D

Ol Fart

Re: long way

Post by Ol Fart » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:06 am

pommychopper wrote:
XSChop wrote:Had a look at your great map and IMHO going throught the centre of Melbourne in order to take longer using a ferry doesn't yet sound enticing.

Personally I don't like riding in traffic, lights and stop signs etc because I can't get neutral unless still on the move and not always even then and can't hold the clutch in for long and no electric leg so have to resort to switching off and re kick starting that is if it doesn't stall of it's own accord while idling. Don't know but there may be others in similar boats too.

But you did alude to some Reason for traversing the city so I'll wait to hear that.
Good job you've got 11 months to get it sorted then Phil!! :D
Gutsy stuff embarking an a 3,000 klm run with a scoot that has a problem like that. I dunno where about you but we're certain to cop some traffic lights along the way. We've had them in Vic for a while now.
Anyone heard the new Doobie Bros single on the wireless yet ?

XSChop

neutral

Post by XSChop » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 am

Now hang on a bit.
I said I can't select netural when Stopped. It's OK as long as one is moving a bit so you just have to do it before you come to a stop.
Not always easy if you don't know whether the lights are going to change or not etc.

But it's NOT something that can be Fixed !

I have Never owned any bike with a wet clutch which didn't have this trouble. I know that modern bikes and ones with dry clutches these days can select neutral at idle but I have never owned a New bike and don't want to.
So don't tell me to FIX it. It's inherent in the design of the bike.
I am so used to it over the years that I automatically look for neutral when approaching any situation where I May have to stop. But it is annoying that's all.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:34 pm

Under stand what you are saying XS, anyone with a suicide clutch will be in the same boat and I've heard there are a few of them likely to come. Like you I'm not excited about sitting at traffic lights breathing fumes... one of the reasons I'm pretty eager to go across to meet Thespis on the Nullabor!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tbear

Post by Tbear » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Bacca wrote:If your doin the GOR then you could continue to Mt. Gambier & up the SA coast to Adelaide.
that coastal road no good for rigids done it many atime (mt to adelaide)
RIDE HARD JUST DONT GET CAUGHT
grow old riding a chopper

sks

Post by sks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Last edited by sks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”