Choppers Australia Mega ride 2009

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!
midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Just a thought, maybe off a bit, but this amount of old style bikes riding in a group, will draw lots of attention, and not all of it wanted, maybe a good idea to get in contact with the laws that be on set routes, and let them know of the impending ride, for 2 reasons,

A/. Shows your not a hinderance, or trouble.
B/. Will save a lot of on the roadside stops checking them for defects.

But then I wouldn't be riding anywhere near cities either, but thats just me.
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I was just looking through the latest Mooneyes 2008 catalogue and I noticed that they have an emergency fuel tank for motorcycles.

I tried to find an online link but no luck, must be just in the catalogue.

It's like a separate canister that straps to the frame of the bike and I guess you just pour it in when needed.

Here is what the catalogue says:
"This tank provides user with a handy fuel reserve. Very convenient when your on a long range trip. Includes bracket and cap. Made from spun aluminium". Cost $165.00 USD. $199.77 AUD.

I suppose one could contact one of the Australian Mooneyes dealers or just order it from their online store.

I just thought that some of the smaller tanks on this ride may find this interesting or better yet, make your own. :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Isn't that what mineral water bottles are for?? :D

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:15 pm

No, mineral water bottles are for holding mineral water

their SECONDARY purpose is to hold petrol

XSChop

other uses

Post by XSChop » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Now hold on a bit here.
I seem to remember in the deep dark past
other uses for similar bottles.
Usually the Orchy variety
involving mucky water and a small metal cone and fire !
Isn't that the real use ?
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:53 pm

What are you talking about XSchop, I don't understand?? :?

I'm with Chucky, mineral water bottles are for holding mineral water.
You can CHOP EM!!

Spokes

Re: other uses

Post by Spokes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:13 pm

XSChop wrote:Now hold on a bit here.
:D
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 pm

I've got some neat little aluminium fuel bottles that hold just under a litre. They came form the camping shop and are for holding fuel for stoves. Nice thing is they esily slide into your panniers along side rest of stuff... can fit into all sorts of places with out being too bulky. They are just under 4" in diameter and about 14" long. Will put up a pic shortly. I get 14 miles out of each can on the shovel.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

sks

Re: other uses

Post by sks » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:14 pm

XSChop wrote:Now hold on a bit here.
I used to have a lovely looking multi chamber class one. no good for petrol thow.

but on the orchy bottle. Why do cone heads always steal a pice of your garden hose from the middle? (bloody funny when you see it happen to some one who has no idea why some one just cut there hose in half) :lol:

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Lads,
I've read the last 5 or so pages and see not much input from the Victorian members. As I am a Victorian member, let me add the following.
Ben, if you do visit Victoria and dont ride the Great Ocean Road, you should be spanked, so this is my plan for the ride from the NSW/Vic border to the VIC/SA border.
I assume most of you will come in through Albury/Wodonga, so the main highway is the obvious route in. There is a lot of scenic riding either side of the highway but then I would imagine that the destination is the order of the day, not the journey, and some of you will need to get there and get back home in record time, so stick to a direct route and plan to spend at least a night or two in Melbourne. My workshop in Keilor will be open to all members of the ride to repair, rebuild or retire their bikes. I cant put my hand up for a back up trailer yet, but I will ask a bloke I know who did the back up for a rally we held earlier in the year.
Keilor, for those that dont know, is in Melbourne 's North West, just off the Calder Hwy/ Ring Road and is on the way for the bikes heading into Melbourne, i.e. in a handy spot.
We can then leave from here and head to the Great Ocean Road (GOR) and then further on to the SA Border and parts beyond. The GOR is a great piece of Australian motoring itinerary and should also be treated with care. Its only two lanes wide and bits of it have a very handy selection of bars and hotels along it so be warned.
Another suggestion for the ride East would be to ride from Melbourne to Sorrento, around the bay, get on the Ferry to Queenscliff and then onto the GOR. That ferry ride is a real nice diversion and an opportunity to see a little bit more of Victoria.
Regarding the cops and the OTAA rally, we did let the cops at each major town know that we where coming through. The enterprising coppers at Benalla took the opportunity to set up a booze bus just up the road from the pub we dined at, but that was an exception to the rule. I think generally they appreciate a heads up rather than a surprise.
So when the time gets closer and an actual date for the northerers arrival into the state, we can arrange to meet you at the border or closer to Melbourne, maybe Seymour. Might even be able to arrange some camping up here at the workshops depending on how many of you there are, with a dinner at the local pub.
I'd be keen to hear from any other Vic members to see what you think of this suggestion.
Cheers
OlFart :mrgreen:

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:11 pm

Great Ocean Road or spanking..mmmmmm

Tuff choice there.. :?

I choose Great Ocean Road:shock:

Thanks for the tip Ol Fart.
You can CHOP EM!!

sks

Post by sks » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Ol Fart wrote:Might even be able to arrange some camping up here at the workshops depending on how many of you there are, with a dinner at the local pub.
there is a list some where but i cant find it at the moment. I'll find the list and post it here.

but all your suggestions sound good to me.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:44 pm

I think that all we need to sort out is where we're going to meet up on what day.
A we said before there's no point the QLD blokes working out which way we're going to go through VIC!

I think that the most direct route to Adelaide is favourite, taking in the great ocean road on the way and missing Sydney CBD is the way most would want to go.

Cheers all

Not long now!!!! :D

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I watched a couple of youtube vids about the GOR today and though they where a bit nancy, they have inspired me to do a ride in a couple of weeks to explore that section again. I havent done the GOR for a few years.
Does anybody from the VIC membership want to join me on Saturday the 6th of December, for a step out ride?? Call me on 0433 781 666

ALTERNATIVE ROUTE THROUGH MELBOURNE SUGGESTION

If you're interested, we could, as a slightly longer alternative, do a lap of the bay. That would mean an early start leaving from Melbourne or wherever you all camp, ride down around Port Phillip Bay to Sorrento and catch the ferry over to Queenscliff where we re-join the GOR and continue to the SA border. (- to cut a long story short).
Its a really great ride, the views are great, the roads are teriffic and if we leave early enough, the traffic will be light as well. Plenty of places to stop for brekky and lunch and it would add about 3 hours to the trip to the SA border.
Speaking of the SA border, any idea yet where we might meet the SA members?
Is Mount Gambier a possibility ?
Cheers
Old Fart

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:29 pm

You guys can also keep in mind where members are along the route and drop in on them. you'll find their location and contact numbers in the members forum.

I mentioned to PC to keep in mind the head winds that are common from Ballarat to Murray Bridge. They can be tiring. Also the Coorong road though rougher, has far less traffic than the Dukes highway through Keith. Lots of semis on Dukes and they don't slow for no man. One trip i counted 1 semi per k with 2-3 tailgating common.

Coorong road is also much more interesting. There's fuel at Tantanoola (servo only), Millicent (decent sized town) Kingston (decent sized town), Salt Creek (has a basic caravan park [and pub] in fact besides the fuel stop that's all that's there!) Meningie (decent sized town) and Wellington (fuel and ferry) then Strathalbyn (large town 7 Dru ,Merchandise) lives there). Willunga another40 minutes on from there.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”