Bar Chopper... the small version...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Bar Chopper... the small version...

Post by Prof » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:24 pm

As you know, Bar Chopper #1 was done to .6 scale and every component was measured to hopefully end up with a fairly accurate model. However that was too time consuming and would have ended up well over double the original estimate... so back to the drawing board.

After some discussion with the customer, i decided to try building something using more existing bits and pieces... engine made up from whipper snipper motors and then trying to find some wheels to suit.

Motor came together failry well though not really in prportion. To hide the whipper snipper crankcase I had to fabricate an oversize gear case and heads and barrels size was determined by the whipper snipper barrels. Engine is 190mm high (length of wrist to 'Hawaian happy sign' finger).

Wheels proved to be a major sticking point and as you weill see from the pic, the rear wheel is a bit large and certainly has excess rubber. It could be improved by replacing solid hub with spokes and hub made in the workshop... too time consuming at this stage. Front wheel remained a problem until this morning and I finally made a hub and welded it to a broken pram wheel. About right size and not too bad once the tyre is painted black!

I have done as much of the shiny stuff in stainless or aluminium so the customer can polish his heart out!

All shiny bits and engine unbolt to make painting and polishing easy.
All welding is with the DHC either aluminium welding (still getting the hang of it) brazing or stainless fusion welding.

Left to do now is seat and tank which I will carve out of timber and double headlights for which I have a couple of bicycle bells to give rear curve. Unfortunatley they don't match, but I will put up the sizes I have in the hope someone has one they would like to donate...

Model is 930mm long. Springer works by the way...

On the assembled model you may see that the airlcleaner is no longer a cyclops wheel hub but a Harley petrol cap. It has a whipper snipper carby behind it for effect.

Oil tank is stainless tube with a piece of 2mm plate cut out. Battery box is part of rectangular stainless tube. Pipes are solid half inch stainless round bar so the bends wouldn't flatten or kink with half inch stainless tube for the straight tail pipes. Top pipe is welded to pillion foot rest which is internally threaded and bolted through the frame.

Classic 70's chop... long and lean...

Gearbox is unfortunatelly a bit small for rest of bike, but doesn't look too bad. Has kicker (can you spot the mistake), oil filler and clutch arm

As it has turned out, the bike is still well over expected price, but this being a bit of a special case I'll wear the difference.
Last edited by Prof on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:52 pm

See ya have built a springer Prof, now just have to do a seconf one much bigger for ya chop :D

That model looks great Image

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 am

I am actually going to see if I can find out (eg do a pressure test) on wallaby jack legs as possible back legs for my springer.

Anyone know anything? Most are rated for 3-4 tonnes so should handle a front end's stresses.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

cjmeg

Post by cjmeg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Would think that they are cast iron, Prof - not sure, would suspect they are quite brittle.
Bearing in mind that when lifting they (should) be supporting a load by compression, not torsion or bending so much..
Time to start playing with the Vmax.
Oh and maybe I should finish the trike too!

DOA

Post by DOA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:51 pm

cjmeg +1

i would think they wont agree with twist sheer and flex loading. not to mention any side effects from vibration.
ride like you stole ya bike.
love like you will only ever do it once.
live like your a different age.

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Bar chopper is finished and primed except for a nuts and bolts I will pick up tomorrow... so will have some pics tomorrow evening... then it will be heading off to its new home... has got some positive comments while in the making in the Workshop.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Bar chopper is finished. Just needs boxing and will be going to its new home...

Frame, tank and seat are primed. New owner will do his own polishing and final painting.

Head light made from a bicycle bell and an old cut down bicycle head light lens.

Gearbox and oil pump details. Everything is bolted together so owner can easily disassemble for polishing and painting...

Needed to make a new hub for front wheel... old pram wheel from thirties or forties...

I want to be a real chopper when I grow up!

Some more of the building process...

Seat began as a jarrah fence post...

Finished and fitted... ready for a coat of paint... pity cos it is beautiful timber

And the tank likewise...

Machined up a piece of aluminium for filler cap... knurling finishes it offf nicely...

Light began as a bicycle bell...

Needed a hole welded up and a mounting boss...

Done...

Will be sad to see it go... generates a lot of interest...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Another pic I took today, before boxing it up...

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: Bar Chopper... the small version...

Post by Youngblood » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:12 am

Saw it for real today, looks good. Great job Prof.
Youngblood

L&H

Post by L&H » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Great Job Prof,

I actually went to the last picture and thought, "What a great mock up, that's gonna be a sweet looking scoot when wired up and kick in anger for the first time".

Silly duffer me.
L & H
A.K.A Leo

It isn't a chopper if it isn't chopped.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:15 pm

I will build a real one like this I promise... one day anyway!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Peter kindly sent these photos through of the chopper sitting behind his bar. He is not happy with the paint job so I guess at some stage it will look really flash...

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Looks great. Wish I had a bar room big enough to hang a bike on the wall.

Would have left the seat timber, (looks more like leather.) But, hey......it's not mine.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:32 pm

My fault Bear. I'd already painted it!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “The Chopper Shed”