Bar chopper

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Bar chopper

Post by Prof » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:45 am

I've had a request from Peter from interstate for a Harley sculpture for above a home bar. A few emails back and forth and we have settled on a classic early 70's generator shovel chopper at approximately half scale = approx 3 feet long.... Stainless steel for all 'chrome' bits like bars, springer, sissy bar, rocker covers etc. As much sec hand bits as possible.

As I figure wheels are pretty impossible to make, I'll need to find a suitable minibike wheel and that will dictate final scale.

So off to my mate Brian who having a pile of grandkids has a shed awash in trail, mini and pitbike bits... A beautiful cruise under a perfectly clear sky, perfect temperature using a route skirting the city, gets me to Brian's a bit after 9pm. He comes up with a few options plus telling me to have a look at a few bikes he has stored at our place. 11pm I take off home, but stop for a bite to eat as I haven't bothered with tea.

I took lots of time as if I was on an month's cruise and took a couple of pics as well.

This morning I did some measuring of wheels against the chalk drawing and it turns up the wheel off one of his bikes here is best suited...

Now to find a suitably sized pushbike wheel for the front... outer tyre diameter needs to be about 14"-16" and reasonably beefy with good chrome... any offers.

I've told Peter I'll fit the job in between my regular jobs so it may take up to 6 months, but less with luck. Once I have the front wheel I will do a drawing on a sheet of melamine and start fabricating a scale motor.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Bike in the sketch looks tops!
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 pm

If only we could legally ride em like this!

Checked out the local bicycle shop and the 16" wheel will be spot on. $50 for wheel and tyre... will try to find something s/hand with good chrome.

Went into the shop and was fascinated, by the black bobber style pushbikes... black rims, handle bars, brake levers...

Reading up about Gary LittleJohn who invented coffin tanks. He aparently had local kids wanting bikes like the choppers he built so he began building chopper pushbikes(drag bikes) that took over our Aussie kids by storm. Rmember them... long banana saddles over the back wheel , tiny front wheel and ape hangers, three speed change on the centre bar like a T Bar auto... everytime you pushed on the pedals you did a wheel stand?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Wow Andrew you just brought some good memories rushing back to me. I actually had one of those bikes, got it for getting reasonable grades in 3rd year primary back in Austria in the 70's. Reasonable grades where a major achivement for me. lol. I thought the three speed centre shift was so cool, would change gears all the time for no reason at all just because it was cool. Thanks for that Andrew :D :D :D
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Aah yes, used to have one. Metal flake blue. And spokey dokes. (clothes peg, with a playing card, to get get that true chopper sound)

Had platform shoes, too.!!!....and went to KISS concert.

Man, am I getting old o what?? :oops:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Geting a bit more done... Measured up a 5x16 on a sporty chopper in my workshop... diameter 610mm

Wheel diameter on our model is 370mm which gives us a ratio of .6 ie everything on the model is .6 real size. I can now measure up full sized bike parts and multiply them by .6 to get the size they need to be for the model.

Here I have measured up headstem height and distance from rear axle on my shovel (1300 and 960 high) and transferred these modified measurements to the model board (780/576).

Have added in a few lines to see what it looks like with a 50 degree rake... think I will increase rake to get a better look, after all we won't be riding this one!

[
Model length at current rake is 5 feet so final length will be more like 5'6". I'll see what Peter thinks.

I have also photocopied and enlarged a genny shovel motor picture to fit the model... Just looking for a good pic of a gearbox and I will post a new photo with them in place... then to work out an economical way to produce a resonably realistic looking scale motor and gearbox.

Because the rear wheel hub is too large, I will set up a disc brake on the rear... Morris mags were offering them as an option in early 70's. YOu can see the wheel with the disc rotor at the top of the pic.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DOA

Post by DOA » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Bearcx wrote:Aah yes, used to have one. Metal flake blue. And spokey dokes. (clothes peg, with a playing card, to get get that true chopper sound)

Had platform shoes, too.!!!....and went to KISS concert.

Man, am I getting old o what?? :oops:
yup old for sure you forgot tie dyed t shirts and 24" bell bottom jeans.

or corduroy jeans in weird 70's colour like burgandy which magically became your sisters new pink ones after mum washed then with your work cloths in bleach. oh yup pink undies were all the rage.
ride like you stole ya bike.
love like you will only ever do it once.
live like your a different age.

Tex

Post by Tex » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Nah! You blokes are modern!!

How about Guy Mitchell Blue Shirt, Presley Purple socks, Canadian Jacket, Gold Lurex Stovepipe pants. Ripple Sole Desert Boots, Byrlcreem in the hair with a ducktail, & an Ardath cigarette in the gob!!

Who else remembers THAT?? Must be some silly old faarts like me left??

_____
Tex

DOA

Post by DOA » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:00 pm

hey tex i think you hang with my brother. he was the stove pipe one at home i was the flower power type.
ride like you stole ya bike.
love like you will only ever do it once.
live like your a different age.

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:39 am

aaah yes. THEN: purple silk body shirt, bell bottom jeans, desert boots, hair down to my waist (and beyond) me mum still has pictures to prove it. NOW: plain cotton shirt with 30 UV rating, trousers up to my belly button, safe comfortable shoes, bald (almost) no pictures thank you!
Oh dear, must stop now, me glasses are miting up. :roll: :roll:
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Tex

Post by Tex » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 am

Yeah DOA. My lot were able to traverse the whole lot, from Bodgie, to Beatnik, to Rock n Roll, to Hippie, to Biker.
Strange how the last one still maintains! :D

+++++
Tex

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 pm

How about flying boots, Amco jeans and bikini fairings on Kwakka 9's
Brisbane circa 1970
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 pm

cool post andrew your stuff always reminds me why i love choppers keep it up!

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Next step the springer. Not as long as i planned as at .6 scale the overall chopper is longer than customer wants so have to reign in the rake.

Whole springer is to be stainless. Rockers made and legs cut.

Cross trees cut from a large piece of 13mm stainless bar. I have made a set of bottoming drills from spare drill bits... just a bit of grinding to rmeove the cutting angle but retain a flat cutting face.

Partially assembled...

Spring support is a fairly complex job. Measured off a springer I have form the 70's/80's in my workshop.

Springer assembled. Bought the bottom springs already made from Southern Springs in Edwardstown and found the others in my collection. Added a bit to the top of the top springs as they aredn't quite long enough and aren't tapered like the real ones. This works I think.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Frame next. A whole ot of measuring and calculating required first. Thought I'd make it realistic enough so HD oficiandos would recognise various parts. This may be too time consuming, but will see how it goes.

Steering head...

Use a bought bender to bend 13mm frame tube...

Bronze welded... here's first bit assembled and main rails bent...

My mitre saw comes in real handy for cutting accurate angles... This will be a boxed in HD neck to simulate moulding...

Front engine mount on HD's were triangle shaped once moulded. This one made from square tube...

Axle plates roughly to scale after looking through a whole lot of 70's mags.

Keep your old 1mm anlge cutting blades... they allow you to get into tight spaces likebetween two holes when slotting...

Well here's the frame fabbed up. Took some time to make sure it is square though no one will be riding it! Gearbox mounts and rear engine mount all to scale...

Close up of axle plate and adjuster. To cover the large hub on the wheel (HD's have a small hub) I am putting on a rear disc which was just starting to happen in early seventies. A numbber of wheel companies began supplying set ups. This one will be modelled on a Lockheed a brand available at the time this chopper is set in.

A nice set of pull backs in the making, bent and here having the ends square up...

Here's a close up of springer and you can see the roll pins holding it together. Not quite as firm as I wuld like but ok. Also visible is the bolt which has been welded into the bottom of the handle bar tube and is then helf by tightening the nut.

Here's the roller chopper...

Fits in nicely with a few of the other choppers in the workshop!

And I do have a problem. My working to scale is taking much too much time. Time taken so far not including research (measuring, chasing details in mags etc) is up to 19 hours. What a bugger as I am having so much fun doing this. So what do I do now? I think I am going to have to put this one on hold and make another much simpler version as this little chop is on the way to being way over budget.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “The Chopper Shed”