Meet Walla Bob...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Meet Walla Bob...

Post by Prof » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Walla Bob...

Took sidecar of '42WLA this week as I've been wanting to ride it solo for ages... It's stock except fo handlebars whcih were c hanged soon after it was purchased in early 60's. Iridescent blue paint under many other layers tells it's own story. It would have come from a particluar Sydney shop who i'm told bought up crate loads after the war and painted them this colour...

After a couple of short rides I decided to do a quick bob job as many "pre chopper" jocks did it in the fifties. Cheap, available parts and second hand bits and pieces I have laying around... Three days max to do it...

Friend Jim had a day to kill, and offered to do some jobs for me. Oo goody... Take this, this, this and this off Jim... Meant to take a photo of the pile of bits he removed but forgot.

Rusty cut off English mudguard, needed lots of sanding and presently has a coat of rust eater.

Simple easy to make chain guard. Looks good and is light and allows easy cleaning. If you take care, you can quickly bend it in a vise.

Here's a Quick and simple chain guard bracket. A bolt, nut, two pieces of tube and a few bits of weld... Dirty looking thing across the top is rear brake arm and brake rod.

Taillight is a 50's trailer light. It has number plate lens and holds a double filament bulb. A single length of 1½" steel bar holds light and number plate. Sissy bar is half inch tube and too flexi, but it I made it in early 70's when I rode the bike solo for a while, so it fitted right on and seemed a bit of cool nostalgia...

Genuine English "Terry" Saddle. Welded a couple of lugs up front to the frame. Springs actually fitted into the sidecar mounting lugs with no mods. Really comfy and 6" lower and 10" further back than original... much better...

A real quickie battery mounting. If I put a smaller tank on later, will need an oil tank here as well. Most batteries used to be this size in 60's... no electric starts. Who needs them with 5:1 compression and 2nd kick starting.

Well here's the new look so far. Still to come; smaller head light, 21" front wheel, foot pegs rather than the boards, modified foot clutch and an Amal carbie... Do you like the original flying helmet...? Was dad's....

How well does she ride? Great, bumpy corners no sweat, sprung saddle is very comfy and ...

Great for doing donuts...
Last edited by Prof on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

matt black

Post by matt black » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:59 pm

looks good andrew i swap ya that unfinished honda of mine in ya shed for it mate lolol tidy without distroy to much of the bike itself
====================
BEAR
bear 2 b different

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:22 am

Yeah, Too Cool.....ive wanted a Walla forever.....and yours is looklin close to perfect.

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:17 am

Ohh i love those real vintage rides!! i agree with bear, nice job but havent destroyed too much of the bikes original heritage and looks.

Prof

Nest lot of mods...

Post by Prof » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:07 pm

Been doing a bit more work on wallabob...

This is original clutch mechanism which I've replaced with the following simplified, easier to use and much lighter set up...

Note also floorboards replaced with a couple Jappo foot pegs from wreckers. Their shafts are just the right length...

21" alloy front wheel from a 185 Suzuki ($90). Chose an axle from the box that was about the right length. Had to slightly enlarge the origianl axle holes slightly. Turned up a couple of spacers.

Brake hub had alocating boss whichI removed. Replaced brake shoe pivot with the following multi stepped bolt I turned up. This now goes right through brake plate and locates brake anchor arm. I did it prettty roughly as I wanted to get to bed! Turned up another tricky bolt to locate the other end of the brake anchor arm on stock rear leg mounting point...

Bought a s/h head light off Dav and mounted it half an hour ago. Not wired up yet, but you get the idea. Also found a pair of old apies in my bits and pieces. Needed a clean up and had to be widened 2" to fit in the yammie clamps that mount in top of springer. Had a Jappo front brake lever with cable that fits suzy brake perfectly. Lever mount has a threaded boss for mirror.. yet to come.

Next step is a good clean up, painting of new parts, adjustment and grease up. Front wheel bearings are loose and need attending to.

She's now great to ride. Took her for a dozen or so miles around back roads this morning in the rain. You definitely get the proverbial muddy stripe on ya mug. Water sprays up to about head height at 90k...

Later I'll put on two straight outs, and an amal carb (which I have). Still later I'll go to a small tank which will also require a separate oil tank under seat. Advantage of small petrol tank is to make top of heads easier to get to so I will do it some time...
Anyway, everyone who rides it is really stoked...

Total time so far is 16 hours. Cost so far is $241.00 which includes new (unfortunately) Cheng Shin front tyre at $69.00. Front wheel cost $90. Foot pegs, $5.00, head light $50.00, new(unfortunately) air control on handle bars which will control advance/retard, $37.00. I could have picked up a 21 tyre for $3.00 at swap meet, but it looked just too old and had cracks in sidewalls, so left it there!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Re: Meet Walla Bob...

Post by tigerbob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:19 am

Photos of Walla Bob from wednesday 28/12/11

'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:39 pm

If you ever have the opportunity to stay over at Prof and Rilda's house, this is the alarm clock, if you stay in a tent.!!!!
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 pm

I have a 12V generator for Walla Bob as well as a auto advance distributor (Almost $1000 worth!) but not sure what to do.

I need to raise some cash and am selling the '29 350 HD as soon as I have finished tidying it up as well as a 750/6 (900) BM we've almost finished, but may need to sell Walla Bob as well (sob!) so not sure if someone will want to put it back to stock (no point on the upgrades then), so just keeping it a bit longer. If someone offered $15000 they'd get the bike as is, with Dustings sidecar and fittings and all original parts... this is admittedly a bit over priced as it would benefit from a rebore and new rings (light smoke out of rear cylinder) and needs new chain and sprockets... but I really don't want to quit it as it is so much a part of The Chopper Shed.

Any way it is great fun for all who visit and I really get a kick out of the big grins on you blokes faces on returning successfully on a rigid suicide clutched old sidevalve... so we'll just wait and see.

Would you get the same kick out of a similarly set up shovel... rigid, suicide clutch, rake and springer, tall sissy bar and solo seat?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Prof the last photo truly is a brilliant photo that just epitomises "the chopper" in all it,s bare bones naked glory, no mega rake,easter egg paint job or mega rubber that bike is pure chopper history.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Sell Walla Bob? I didn't think it was legal to sell your children!?!

Sounds like a tough decision to have to make- couldn't you try to sell a kidney or an eye or something instead?
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 am

NOw there's a thought tb... not an eye though.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 am

Theres a few people in the ACT that could use a kidney right now

The News story

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

Return to “The Chopper Shed”