03. Build #1... Rear end... Sissy Bar design...

Don't ever say you can't afford to build a chopper!!! This thread will prove you wrong
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

03. Build #1... Rear end... Sissy Bar design...

Post by Prof » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Well we've dropped the back end of the bike and chopped off all the rubbish so what next. One of the easiest ways to say 'chopper' is with a sissy bar... and a sissy bar in the sixties and early 70's was pretty much mandatory for a 'righteous' chop... but what kind of sissy bar?

Materials...

As we saw when choosing strut materials, there a plenty of passibilities for your sissy bar.

I was going to make one from chain, but welding each link securely, takes time, so will give that great idea a miss, though chain sissy bars were a common 60's Aussie style.

This is what I would have liked to do, but our chopper project is being done without heat, so we'll save it for another chopper. Texta on the workshop floor is a great way to do your designs.

As I want the sissy bar to curve up from the rear frame tubes and can't use heat, we could use some prebent steel tube. This was a common solutin in the early sixties... the american chopper builders even made handle bars from 1' table legs!

This sissy bar is off my first full chopper... a 350 Aaermacchi HD. The cops made me cut of the point after rding it past the Police barracks daily for a year! The ½" square tube bends quite well, so this is a possibility.

This is it! These chair legs have the right bends and the right sized tube, starting at 1" for the bottom and reducing down to ½" at the top...
Cut up the chair and get enough for two sissy bars. Cut off the two sissy bar sides (pieces on the right)...

The tube is slightly too large to slide into the frame tubes, so we slit it and squeeze it down a bit in diameter until it is a nice tight fit... When everyting is tacked together, I'll slide another piece of tube inside the slitted sections as reinforcing and weld up the slits. Sissy Bar will be held in with a ¼" button head bolt on each side.

Now what to put on top...

Found one ball bearing the right size, but I've deciced to have three uprights so I am two ball bearings short. Jerry gave me a couple when he found out what I was up to, but his are too large, so scrap that idea...

Con rod could do the trick...

Here are a couple more decorations. Bayonet theme could follow through onto the footpegs and stand. Horseshoe isn't very original, but they still look good.

The Bug would look great on the back of the sissy bar with another embedded into the top of the tank. the feeler shape could be used for pegs, controls and stand... another one to keep in mind!

As I was setting the fire... there I saw it... tops of the fireside set... Rilda won't notice will she... though I think they came from her dad? But I only have two, so a quick tri to a couple of second hand places net me a third matching top, plus a couple of large ones. They can go on Rilda's set for the time being... I should be able to find some more next summer.

I couldn't resist getting the tongs. They could just about be used as a sissy bar as they are... the twisted square bar in them is really tight and will make an 'outasight' sissy bar for someone.

Here's a sneak preview of how the tops finally look. We'll show you how we do it on the next thread. The whole sissy bar will take a full day and a bit.
Last edited by Prof on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

BobbaZooki

Post by BobbaZooki » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Way to go Prof ... way - to - go .. :D

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:14 pm

You are one Artistic bloke ! Excellent thinking outside the box.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:00 pm

You can keep saying nice things as long as it gives you guys some more ideas!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:07 am

Your giving great ideas and you are keeping the art of chopperbuilding alive.

Good on ya mate. :D

Now can you down load your brain in a PDF file. :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Return to “1980 gs400 Bobber”