Triumph Bobber

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Triumph Bobber

Postby Tony82 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:45 am

Hi,

I have been in to bikes most of my life, sports bikes/dirt bikes mostly, but have become more interested in the old school cool of the bobber and really like the look and style of the Triumph ones Ive seen, and was hoping to get some info and advise on things from this web site.

Im tossing up with the idear of building my own one, but am a bit dawrnted as i can fix little things on my bikes but a build is a bit more hard core,

So is there any good bobber builders in south east QLD, as I live on the sunshine coast, to go and have a chat to and maybe talk to about building me a bike,

Any help would be great '
Thanks
Tony82

Re: Triumph Bobber

Postby xsive » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 am

cant help with qld if your interested in a chat pm me for my phone number nsw maitland
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS
xsive

Postby Neo Dutch » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Rightio, the bikes you are talking about are not "bobbers". Ok, now that's sorted.

Go to BJ's in Woolongabba and buy a late 60's twin. Not the oil in frame model. Buy a Factory Metal Works hardtail from Trojan in Sydney. Combine the 2 and you're Golden.

Bobber.

Bobber.

Bobber.

Not a Bobber.

Don't let your luggage define your travels.
Neo Dutch

Postby Tony82 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:53 am

Hi Neo Dutch,

Thanks for the info, with the people to talk to in brizy/syd, I will give them a call to have a talk about things,

So the Triumph style bikes are not bobbers?<? So what would you call them? Choppers?
Tony82

Postby Neo Dutch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Yep, their basically a chopper. A bobber is a factory bike that's been bobbed (stuff taken off) to make them handle better and go faster.

A hardtail on a Bonneville makes it slower and handle worse.
Neo Dutch

Postby adem » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:08 pm

"Custom Triumph" works as well. Im not really sure exactly how/when people started calling hardtail triumphs "bobbers"
adem

Postby Brassy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I got a lead on a trumpy late 60's for sale in bris vegas, no it aint mine!
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?
Brassy

Postby Neo Dutch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:27 pm

adem wrote:Im not really sure exactly how/when people started calling hardtail triumphs "bobbers"

Bit of a backlash about American Chopper I think. Once upon a time anyone who had a CB 750 with extended forks and a sissy bar rode a "chopper". Now the cringe at the thought of saying they ride a chopper in case the reply is "Oh just like OCC?"

Flyrite was on of the first to call the Sportster tank, mini apes combo a "bobber". Since then, everyone has a "bobber".

If you go back through old mags, nothing is called a bobber unless it's a near standard Knuck/Pan era bike with the the junk shaved off.
Neo Dutch

Postby neale » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:47 pm

If people are gunna get tied up with the "precise" definition of what the terms are, I think I'll just stick with the tag that I've got for what's in my head, and what I'm trying to create, from now on, mine are Boppers, not quite Choppers, not quite Bobbers ( according the stated definitions), encompassing elements of both.

Besides, "I know what I like", and I know that most of the people here are old enough to get that reference ;^)
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP
neale

Postby Neo Dutch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I think "Bopper" is a cool term and fits the genre well.

Nomenclature is what helps define what something is. It's not about getting hung up on terms, more giving an accurate description.

Imagine driving 500 miles to buy a cheap "shovelhead", only to find a clapped out '79 Sporty.
Neo Dutch

Postby adem » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 am

I think people who don't know their history got to thinking a chopper was the long fork billet stuff they were seeing on the TV. I think some people when they saw bikes that were closer to 60s era choppers thought, this doesn't look like the "choppers" I am seeing on the TV. I must call it something else.. somehow/somewhere a long the way they got confused and started calling them bobbers. Not knowing the term bob job, having never seen the wild one and just having no clue of the stripped down 40s/50s era Harley stuff. Then once enough misinformed people start naming something incorrectly it takes on a life of its own.
adem

Postby Bacca » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:08 am

Kinda right but was 70's choppers with long forks with me :D
Bacca

Postby Prof » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Most of the original choppers were more than bobbed in that they went for higher bars on the stock springer (HD) or girder (Indian, Crocker) front end, narrower front wheel (often 20" or 21" as they were common on other bikes) and frequently modified pipes, a seat directly on the frame rails and a smaller tank.

By the 60's longer front ends and sissy bare were getting common and then came the magazines, movies, chopper and accessory shops and the classic long skinny high sissybarred psychedelic choppers of the early 70's... what I grew up with too and have always ridden.

Low spindly solo diggers came along in mid seventies by which time Easyriders mag were featuring more of the fatbob style choppers which became the mainstream in the 80's.

I think that the legislators were the main culprits in the return to customs and with much lower prices in Australia the Harley customs... until foxtel and the super expensive billet long bikes of the 2000's that mostly were unregisterable anyway.

I'm pleased to see the virtual demise of the billet long bikes and a return to more sensible and rideable choppers many of which equate to the bikes of the late fifties and sixties and due to Aussie thought police a mild form (much too mild for me!) of the classic chopper.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Postby Tony82 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi all,

can you just bolt a hard tail stright onto say a bonnevile no welding required??
Tony82

Postby Tony82 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:09 pm

HI,

Is there any good places in brisbane to bye a frame from????
Tony82

Next

Return to Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)