Cutting a fender

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
Oldschoolpaulie

Cutting a fender

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Mon May 27, 2013 8:16 am

I know I'm not as knowledgeable about building as probably most on this board, so you'll have to forgive my stupid question. On the bike I'm building, I want to save money by not having to buy a fender, or through any other expense; so I want to trim the fender back, and re-shape the trailing edge. What's the best way to make a nice, smooth, clean cut? I thought about using a dremel with a cut-off wheel. What do you guys use?
I'd like to make it clean enough so that I can just paint the edge of the cut without having to repaint the whole fender, if possible.

xsive

Re: Cutting a fender

Post by xsive » Mon May 27, 2013 9:20 am

hi paulie the only stupid question is the one that is not asked :) you could try cover the area you want to cut with painters masking tape draw your cut line to the shape you want once your happy with the final design usee a 1 ml cuting disc on a a grinder and cut along your lines this will work to stop as much chipping on the surfaces and will work on steel or plastic try to cover areas adjacent to the cut with the tape as well this will mask hot bits from stuffing your paint Cheers
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Bearcx

Re: Cutting a fender

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Yep, Agreed +1. :D

Definitely use the tape. If you dont want to burn the paint, but, fancy a blister on your palm, use a file......

Seriously, like xsive said, Tape, mark your lines, cut...Gently rub the edge with file or emery paper/ wet & dry sandpaper. Prime and paint.

Good luck with it. Put up a before and after shot, if you like. May help others.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Tools...”