Lock Ring Wrench

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
shaunster

Lock Ring Wrench

Post by shaunster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi All,

I am about to put some tapered roller bearings into the neck of my 81 xs650, and I am wondering if anyone has a set of lock ring wrenches I could borrow and use to tighten the lock rings, or know where I can get some? I have checked all of the auto tool places on the Gold Coast and all of the staff looked at me funny when I showed them a picture, and the closest I got was an offer to order one in from a dedicated tool shop, but he wants $60 each plus $20 to get them shipped in.

A picture below shows that I am after.

Any ideas where I can find them?

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Make em.

A piece of flat steel at least half the diameter of the nut and maybe the same thickness, a hack saw, grinder and files.

A little bit of time and elbow grease - jobs done

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 am

I make C spanners al the time out of mild steel 3mm thick measure the od of the nut and draw it on the steel with compass. Black the steel out with texta first. A sharpened spoke makes a good scribe.

Include an arm about 100mm long. As already stated then use angle ginder (1mm cutting disc) to cut it out and finish off the protrusion for the dlot in the nut with a triangular file.

Shouldn't take more then 15 minutes. Drill a 4mm hole in the end of the handle, point it and hang it up with your other spanners.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

shaunster

Post by shaunster » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks Hap and Andrew, I never would have thought about making one from scratch.

Might have to dig up some scrap steel and give it a go next weekend.

Cheers,

Shaun

Return to “Tools...”