Special tools... Bearing drift...

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Special tools... Bearing drift...

Post by Prof » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 pm

When replacing tapered bearings, the outer race needs to be drifted firmly and squarely into place. Best way to do this is to make a bearing drift using a worn outer race of the same size.
!. Weld race to a piece of tube... cut it square with a pipe cutter
2. Weld a soild lump to the other end to provide a central hammering face. In the smaller example I used a piece of tube with a cast end in it... saved me 20 mins... old Peugeot damper component!
3. Grind or linish half a mm off the welded race so it slides easily inside the bearing housing. This makes it easy to tap in the new outer race and also to extract your drift afterwards.

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:04 am

I don't like to disagree but, having two hardened steel faces hit together is a recipe for disaster!!

They can either crack, or at worst shatter and bits will go flying, generally in you eyes!!

Really you should use ali or brass to tap bearings in.
Alternatively get a piece of 16mm booker rod and make 2 big washers/plates to go on each end, put rod through headstock, put on plates and washers and nuts, tighten the lot up and that will pull your bearings in.

Much quieter!!!!

Cheers all :D

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:44 am

Take your point PC, though I've used this system for years with out a problem... and it's not like I'm bashing the heck out of it, just gentle tapping.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Tools...”