Special tools... Extending your drill...

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Special tools... Extending your drill...

Post by Prof » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Ever need to extend the reach of your drill? There are two ways... 1 extend the drill bit, 2. extend the drill with a second chuck...

Here was my problem... to drill out and retap my swing arm pivot thread without pulling off my clutch and innner and outer chain cases... There is not enough space for drill and driil bit between the two mounts.

Solution is shown here... a second chuck on an extension that fits into the existing drill chuck and goes through the other side of the swing arm mounting. This also allows me to get everything lined up properly.

Where to get a drill chuck... my first rule is don't through anything away. My old 1/2" drill (damaged armature) supplies both the chuck and its shaft... ie no need to thread another piece of shaft. Cut off collar that holds gears...

When welding an extension to the original shaft, "v" ends for a strong non protruding weld. keep it lined up by clamping the pieces into angle iron... this piece of angle has a tab welded onto it so it can easily clamp into the vice. The heat will distort it so it still needs a final straighten in the vice...

Once the two pieces are welded and straightened, I clean off excess weld and put it to use... through the right mounting, fit it into the drill on the out side of the mount and start drilling... nice straight and easy to do. Next job, the shaft might need to be shorter or longer, but that's just a matter of a bit more cutting and welding...

PS if you look back at the first picture you will notice a personalised serial number on the back of the gearbox. Every component on bikes I do, are stamped twice... once in an obvious place like this and onece in a difficult to access spot. Pinching my bikes will hopefully be more bother than it is worth.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Tools...”