HD Dealer Tricks

A place to put pics of wild cars you own or come across as well as discussing other stuff of particular (legal & legitimate) interest...
Aussiehard

HD Dealer Tricks

Post by Aussiehard » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

From The Sales Manual.

No wonder its about bolt on bling, branded merch an image and very little about the actual bike or riding these days…….

cjmeg

Re: HD Dealer Tricks

Post by cjmeg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Common sales technique - reinforce the 'unique' experience you will get if you own one of (insert item here).
Sometimes I think that I like the 'idea' of riding (when I neglegt to ride my bike very often, that is). :shock:
Time to start playing with the Vmax.
Oh and maybe I should finish the trike too!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Methinks it IS all about the ride (experience)... which includes image... most riders wear something 'biker' on them when they ride, be it a jacket, cutoffs, black helmet (don't see many of you wearing a white helmet), patch, a bunch of badges or even shades.

I enjoy riding any motorcycle, it's better for me if it is a big roadbike, it is better if it is a chopper, it is even better if the chopper has long forks and lots of rake, its even better if i'm not wearing a helmet. Riding in light rain at night is a real buzz. Riding in shirtsleeves on a nice sunny day, having left at sunrise, sleeping bag up on the bars and with the promise of a campfire in some isolated spot that night is better still. Having the rumble of my shovel beneath me is the best... for me... if your choice is your new Victory or your 85 XV or your 72 Triumph bobber good on you.

And I must admit that I do slip into a different world.... as I ride, I identify with a guy throwing away his watch and travelling long outback expanses (Easy Rider), and the guy who when asked where he is going responds, "Where ever I end up I guess" (Then Came Bronson) and a whole lot of other biker movie characters.

I suspect we all would have to admit to living an image when we ride no matter what style of riding we do... perhaps we all need to belong to something bigger than ourselves.

Damn. I was ready for bed, but now I just have to fire up the shovel and go for a ride!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:25 am

Well that was definitely worthwhile... Ended up going for about an hour. Went down through Mt Compass (gald I put my jacket on), then cut through to the Myponga/Victor Harbor road via a windy gravel road through the ranges. Moon was bright in a cloudy sky, so I picked a high spot and took a couple of pics... must learn how do do time exposure as the moon looked quite spectacular... real "Kidnapped" stuff. Pics didn't come out like I hoped but here are two anyway...

Just after this I put the camera on movie and got some footage of the front wheel in the glow of the headlight and the road ahead... was all down hill, very steep and twisty and gravelly... at one point just had to grip my knees to tank and hope I could get around steering with one hand, camera still rolling... made it ok.

Temperature changes during the ride were amazing. In places it was hot and others I was tempeted to put my gloves on. The moonlight was sufficient to ride some of the way with out lights which is really cool, the trees ghostly dark spindly forms againtthe moonlit paddocks slipping by and you are very aware of the clouds over head and the dark shadows in the distance. Another world. I didn't see a single car until I got to the outskirts of Aldinga, so riding was really outa sight throttling off into the corners and accelerating through... the roar ofmy open pipes the best sound there is... something about the way a shovel shakes slightly as the throuttle is wound on the creates a real feeling of raw power below. Ah shaddup Offe!

Picked up petrol in Aldinga and video'd coming into the servo... turned out ok though tricky changing down with no clutch and dropping camera into my lap at last moment... but all cool.

We have a very straight section of secondary road between Aldinga and Willlunga so did a couple of drag racing starts... also cool.

Came roaring up our road to find the workshop open, light on and the Honda out side and Paul and a mate waiting for me... the'd phoned me three times to come with me, so it was back out of the workshop and off for another ride with them... this time half an hour... so being 1am, defintely bed time now... but I will sleeeep like a baby!

Really chuffed I got out on the chop... haven't ridden it for a couple of days. It is so easy to get too comfy and set in a rut...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 am

At lest ya didn't get drenched in the thunderstorm that came through here :D

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Yep, typical marketing techniques... Works for motorcycles, cars, clothing etc.

I'm looking forward to riding some of that country you described Andrew. I bought a block at Normanville about 8 years ago and hope to build a house there in a few years.

Sydney is a great place but I'd rather "show off" my bikes to the twisty, tree lined roads of the Adelaide hills than a "convenience store with lots of walk-in traffic".

While it's nice to get accolades, it's even nicer to have a carefree & un-interupted ride...
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:22 pm

I couldn,t agree with you more mate, the best part of riding a bike is just riding a bike anything else is purely optional.

While it's nice to get accolades, it's even nicer to have a carefree & un-interupted ride...[/quote]
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Return to “Other stuff...”