Options and ideas on long forks and handlebars.

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

DaveB
Interests: Cars and bikes. Old ones, from when they were made from steel.
The kids are old enough to be a pillion passenger now so it's time to get back onto a bike.

Options and ideas on long forks and handlebars.

Post by DaveB » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi all.
The bike I'm getting ready for the road has a 12" over front that was a nice stance and a great look with the raked trees when i got it but is way too long to go through rego. I've swapped the raked trees for a stock set and have slipped the fork tubes up through to try to get the stance and geometry right, as well as mixing and matching a few other parts. In an effort to get inside the 550 rule and keep rake and trail angles right i've slippeed the fork tubes 150mm up through the trees. In effect creating a 6" over front.

My question for you all is this, has anybody tried using a fork brace at the top of the fork tubes and mounted a small set of risers and handlebars from it? Thus doing away with the tall risers mounted to the tree? The ones on the bike now are 7". The idea is that it would give a long slick look without having a front that is going to get me put off the road. I'll take a couple of updated pics today.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

This is what the bike looked like when purchased.

This is closer to what it looks like now. Although the King/Queen seat is back on, a front mudguard is fitted and there are brackets for a set of pillion foot pegs

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Options and ideas on long forks and handlebars.

Post by Prof » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:41 pm

Should work fine. I'd trim it right down so it doesn't have a heavy look. You can buy handle bar clamps that are designed to mount onto a flat surface using the clamping bolts to run through into the tree.
Authorities are likely to question the set up as they will suspect that being a biker you are neither honest nor trustworthy and will lengthen your forks again as soon as their back are turned. You may need to get some shorter fork legs for regio. Note that CB750 legs differ over a couple of years. I think there are three different set ups on both internals and brake anchor mountings.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DaveB
Interests: Cars and bikes. Old ones, from when they were made from steel.
The kids are old enough to be a pillion passenger now so it's time to get back onto a bike.

Re: Options and ideas on long forks and handlebars.

Post by DaveB » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:04 pm

This is where we are at now. Rear seat fitted again and forks pushed through the trees.

Close up of forks and risers. I know of another bike that went through an inspection here with forks a bit like this, thinking by eliminating the risers and running the bars of the tops of the fork tubes might give a clean look and not draw too much attention.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”