Triumph Chopper Build - Norcal Style

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Triumph Chopper Build - Norcal Style

Post by Prof » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Psychomatt was a CA member some years back and was very enthusiastic, but I've been unable to contact him since.

Bottom photo is on the sand at Aldinga Beach our "Sunset Ride" as part of the Mega Ride when eastern states chopper jocks came down to Willunga. From the rear; my son Paul on his CB550, Bobbazooki (NSW) on his 650 single, and Spokes (Qld) on his CB750.

Here's a link...http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=61 Photos about 14th topic down
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Spade8
Interests: I've been into bikes for 4 years, since moving to Melbourne. I grew up around hot rods and customs, owning an XP Falcon and Model T coupe which I couldn't bring with me to Melbourne.

I've had a few bike projects over the past few years, including a DT400 with a very hot engine, an XS 400, an XS650, and am currently building a 72 Triumph chopper.

I'm hoping to meet a few riding mates with choppers, and plan on racking up plently of long trips on the Trump!

Post by Spade8 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 am

I got the new headlight and front indicators mounted up the other day on a little hand-made bracket.

I've also been chipping away at a few small jobs: new foot peg rubbers, throttle cable, brass tacho plug, handlebar mount bushes and air cleaner.

I stubled across this sissy bar for a T140 on eBay which was an awesome find, at $40.

I'd been planning on bending up my own sissy bar, but would have had to forked out $$$ for new oxy/acetylene bottles. The sissy bar was one of my key reasons for building a chopper, so my girlfriend can sit back and comfortably enjoy a long ride, rather than hanging on for dear life for hours at a time.
Finding this direct bolt-on means that I can take the bike on those long rides as soon as its on the road, rather than jumping straight into the frame mods I had planned before I can make a sissy bar to fit the modified frame.

I think this sissy bar looks damn cool! I think I'll cut & shorten the mounting brackets a bit though, to move the sissy bar forward a couple of inches. This will make it align with the rear axle better, and bring the backrest angle more upright, like it is now with the wood chocked under it.

Next thing I need to do is get my hands on some Argon gas, so I can jump into some more fabrication work :)

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:06 pm

$ 40 Bux !!!!

Great score.......
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

ozchop
Interests: classic bikes and cars

Post by ozchop » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:58 am

Hi Will,my name is mark, I sold you the 10" over forks for your project.
they look great on your trumpy mate, keep going with the build you,ll enjoy the end result.

My beeza is almost done will post some pics soon.

Mark

Spade8
Interests: I've been into bikes for 4 years, since moving to Melbourne. I grew up around hot rods and customs, owning an XP Falcon and Model T coupe which I couldn't bring with me to Melbourne.

I've had a few bike projects over the past few years, including a DT400 with a very hot engine, an XS 400, an XS650, and am currently building a 72 Triumph chopper.

I'm hoping to meet a few riding mates with choppers, and plan on racking up plently of long trips on the Trump!

Post by Spade8 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:26 am

Nice to hear from you Mark!

Cheers I'm glad you like the build. I'd love to see a pic of the BSA with the long fork and raked trees, I never ended up even trying out the raked trees as I needed different bearings to the skinnier headstem shaft.

Spade8

Post by Spade8 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Been making some steady progress over the last few weeks with some assorted little jobs.

I shortened the original brake light mount and made a built-in number plate holder which mounts flush to the rear guard. I've welded nuts to the inside mounting surface so that it bolts from underneath. Its still only tacked together at the moment

I also spent some time on the sissy bar: shortened the mounting plates to get the desired mounting position and back rest angle. I also welded in the previous indicator mounting holes and re-drilled new ones that were in a better position

I fabbed up a speedo mount by modeling it in Solidworks, printing it out and tracing it onto steel. The speedo is mounted and working now

I also bent up an extra little exhaust mount to keep the pipes from rattling around

Also got my new points cover fitted up with some grinding here and there, and gave the exhaust pipes a slight polish up with CLR. I still need to properly strip the paint off my engine cases and shine them up a bit.

You may also notice that in the above picture, my seat has been finished and upholstered. I spent all weekend on it and got it finished tonight :) I'll post some better pictures of it tomorrow when I've got some day light for better photos :mrgreen:

Spade8

Post by Spade8 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:00 pm

So about the seat: I used an aluminium street sign for the seat pan, and glued layers of blue yoga mat foam for the firm base layers. I then shaped out some indents to spread out the the load in high pressure areas (where my bones are). I did the same for pillion seat, although the indents had to be much deeper since the seat is quite skinny, which puts a lot of pressure on the pelvic bones. I used some softer 25mm foam to replace the carved out areas and add a soft top layer to the seat.

Then I doodled around with some stitching patterns until I found the one that I liked best and marked it out on some marine vinyl.

I spent the rest of the day stitching and cursing and ended up with a finished cover, which I think turned out pretty well :)

Rivited it onto the seat pan and its good to go! I also had to modify the seat brackets by extending them and incorporating a seat latch.

This is how she sits now. The stitching patterns on the seat don't match the back rest, but I'm not a huge fan of the back rest pattern. Maybe one day I'll reupholster it to match, but this works for now!

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:05 pm

A very 70's Oz looking chopper. I've always been lucky to have mother who could stitch up my seats. At 84, she did my last seat last November and now she reckons she's done enough.

Don't think I'll take up stitching though... so good on you for doing yours and it looks spot on.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Spade8

Post by Spade8 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Been a while since I’ve posted here, so this update comes with some good and bad news:

The good news is that the Triumph has been roadworthied and registered in full rego for everyday use.
I made a final push during the first few weeks of my university semester, knowing that as the semester progressed I wouldn’t have enough free time to work on the bike. And god I wanted to ride it to class every day! In a ‘now or never’ moment I made a last effort on a heap of unfinished jobs, put on the stock length forks and booked the bike in for RWC, although I wasn’t really sure whether or not it would pass.

The RWC came back with a big list of jobs to be done (within a 1 week time limit!) which would be very difficult, but not impossible. The list included:
• Swing arm bushings
• Rear wheel bearings
• New stanchions (I never knew stanchions could wear out!?)
• New rear shocks
• New headlight switch (the mechanic broke my switch!)
• Re-wire the indicators – the aftermarket Harley wiring loom I used has a feature that flashes both rear indicators 3 times whenever the brakes are applied, to grab drivers’ attention. The mechanic did not like this.

One very busy week and $600 later, the bike was on the road!! Here are some photos of how she sits now, with some new pullback bars. I rode it to class twice a day for around 4 weeks and life was sweet!

After my 4 weeks of shake-down runs I figured that I could trust the bike and wanted to take it for a decent ride into the famous twisties of the Black Spur. That was the best time I have ever had on 2 wheels by a long shot.

I went with a friend who recently got into motorcycling, and has bought himself a brand-new CBR500R.

My friend is still building his confidence in the corners, but I can safely say that the long-forked Trumpet made it through those mountain corners faster than he was willing to push his CBR. I got into pulling the old 70’s chopper riding position: leaning way back with arms fully outstretched for that old-school steeze.

….And on the last 10kms of the black spur my engine suddenly started spluttering very noticeably. I pulled the clutch in to pull over and the engine immediately died. After removing the spark plugs and giving it a few kicks I found that I had lost compression in one cylinder… not good.

I limped the bike home 75km on one cylinder and gave it a leak down test. I found that the valves were sealing fine but air was leaking past the rings into the crank case, so out came the engine. After pulling the head I found that one cylinder wall is ruined with very deep scratch marks in it, and that is where my engine still sits.

With no job, no savings and very little free time I’ve had to push the bike into the back of the shed until time and money allow for a bore job and rebuild, which will likely be some months away.
Last edited by Spade8 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spade8

Post by Spade8 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:37 pm

One of the biggest bummers for me was that after making such an effort to have the bike ready for Chopped, it is now unable to make it. My XP has also run out of registration, as I’m in the process of transferring from full reg to club reg. Something else that time and money won’t currently allow for.

So in desperation I’ve pulled the old DT2 from the shed, painted it black, fitted a knobby tire, the Triumph handlebars with tall risers, and got it tuned up & running for some fun on the dirt at Chopped.

The idea is to loosely replicate the look of the early 60's Triumph swing arm bobbers, something like these:

I'm still in the process of finishing off a new seat for it, but with the rear-set footpegs and Motocross tire, this thing should actually haul pretty well on the dirt drags...

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 am

What a disappointment, though better than breaking down on the way to Chopped.

You might be able to find another set of barrels and give them a hone and new rings.

Murray's Brit bikes has a lot of second hand Triumph engine parts and heaps of barrels.

Your chopper looks very Aus 70's. Hope you can get it back on the road soon.

Keep us informed. I'm not able to get to Chopped this year, but a couple of SA members are going.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Sad news indeed, spade8, but you got to ride a cool chopper to class, something none of the others did.??
Looks way cool, too. Don't despair matey, we all have that little thing called 'life' that can sometimes get in the way of adventure.
Great work on the seat too, 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Spade8

Post by Spade8 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Alright so after a few months of saving I’m happy to say that the bike is back on the road. The engine had ceased due to a combination of reasons:
1. The bore tolerances were too tight (and not round!) where somebody has done a crappy job of boring the engine .020 over.
2. The engine was running lean due to somebody pulling off the intake manifold and tearing the gasket, and then putting it back on again causing a huge vacuum leak.
The lean-running engine wasn’t very noticeable at low-throttle riding since the carb on the bike is off an 850cc Norton, and is also jetted way too rich even for a Norton. You can see the damage caused to the pistons below.

The engine rebuild had to be delayed due to an injury unfortunately. Riding at slow speed in the wet (on my mate’s bike) I hit a large mud slick that almost covered the entire road mid-way through a tight corner. I managed to slide the bike the whole way through the mud (with my girlfriend on the back) but upon hitting the dry bitumen again, both tires gripped hard and threw us high-side over the bike. One of my friends riding behind me hit the slick and immediately low-sided, while the third JUST stopped up short. Fortunately my girlfriend and mate were okay with some bruising, but I managed to land hard on my shoulder which broke my arm, and had to endure a 2 hour ride home.

I finished off the bike in the last couple of weeks of my recovery. Rebuilt it back to .020 over and stock specs, with just a few small upgrades:
• New pistons & rings (obviously)
• Wassell electronic ignition
• New timing chain
• New clutch springs, retainers and bolts
• New oil seals throughout
• Rebuilt oil pump
I’m glad to have the bike back again, still been riding it to Uni and work, as well as some longer mountain rides on the weekends. It still keeps up surprisingly well with the sport bikes through the twisties too!
Here’s a video below of its first fire-up after the rebuild.

https://youtu.be/uRrFCHABSqA

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Fun and games. Bike sounds good. Short pipes will lean out the mixture a lot so that needs to be compensated for... which it so sounds like you have done. A number of the guys in CA with Trumpies have burnt holes in the their pistons or seized them. I assume a thing to be careful to cover when setting up your carbs.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:27 am

:D :D :D
Youngblood

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”