new build

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Dell86
Interests: Building bikes

new build

Post by Dell86 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:43 am

Hi guys, firstly thanks for adding myself to your forum. I have just purchased a rigid frame with a 250mm rear end, I have already Purchased my rims but I am having trouble finding an axel wide enought for my frame. My frame is 390mm outside to outside of the rear end of my frame. Any suggestions as to where I can find a rear axel wide enough for the frame. I am a sheetmetal tradesman so the fabrication of parts is the easy bit, its the nuts and bolts I need a hand with.

Regards

Shawn

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Re: new build

Post by loulizard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi, Welcome aboard and good luck with your build. Firstly for any one to be able to help you with a usable reply we would need to know the inside diameter of the wheel bearings,3/4" 7/8" 1" or metric. Most cycle suppliers stock axles up to 16" long which would fit the width of your frame @ 15 & 23/64" ie. 390mm. So if you want some valid usable info or advice, give as much detail as possible in your requests, about your build or problem, so as those of us having been there can suggest a valid solution and not send you on a possibly expensive wild goose chase. This is not criticism just trying to steer you in the right direction. We all like to help but need as much detail as possible to do so.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: new build

Post by Prof » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 pm

If the axle is for HD or HD clone, you'll have no trouble getting an imperial one from any shop that caters to custom Harleys. HD axles will be either 3/4" or 1".

If metric, there are a number of places catering to metric cruisers and customs.

Two ways to obtain axle size off a bearing cut a thin strip of thin card a bit larger than the axle hole and carefully trim back with a sharp scissors until it is a slide in fit. Then take out and measure. OR read numbers off the bearing and call a bearing place. They will then tell you the ID (axle size).

If you can't find a metric axle from a custom shop, check some of the newer cruisers until you find one that has an axle the same length and diameter and order from the dealer.

Any good machine shop will machine an axle for you. They need to use a harder grade of steel than just mild steel. Cheapest way to do it is to use roughly the right diameter round bar, thread both ends and weld a nut on one end. The welded nut can then be machined to remove the roughness of the weld. This is cheaper than having to machine down a piece of hexagonal bar.

Be great to see some photos as you get the parts together and do your build.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”