Dragster 650 Build Progress

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

newjack66

Dragster 650 Build Progress

Post by newjack66 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:11 am

Hi

All since my last post I bought a 1997 Dragster 650 Licenced, stripped it, modded the frame thanks to Brett at 'Hand Made Vintage Customs'. Brett still has a pile of fabricating to do but these were taken right after initial cut n weld.

So rest assured everything will be smoothed out and look like it should. Nothings mounted or grinded I have just sat back with Brett and discussed the possibilities. Prof came in with some great advice - thank you.

Still 'mountains to do' .... will keep you all updated ..... still planning the next stages ..... Side carb, fenders arrrhhhhh !!!!

Cheers

Darren

[
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Dragster 650 Build Progress

Post by Prof » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Starting to get somewhere. No doubt some decent gusseting up the front yet.

An easy way to lower the rear end is to cut the top or bottom rails of the rear triangular swing arm section and fold. cutting the top and folding forwards will shorten the bike a bit. cutting the bottom and folding backwards will lengthen it a bit. Just make sure they are slugged if you do it. Length of each end of slug inside the original tube should be a minimum of 1.5 x the inner tube diameter... can be a bit more and then plug weld both sides.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks Prof, yep much work has happened and gussets have been place. As I'm not going hardtail any more I'll probably go progressive springs with lowering links. Was going to go 21 on front but have decided to stay with factory 19s up front and redirect money to other areas.
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Nice project, darren. Watching with interest.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Good idea about the 19", I think the 21's are overrated and add a lot of expense unless you use a trail bike wheel.

How ever recently a couple of guys reckoned 21's handled better on the road... anyone got any comments from personal experience?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:01 pm

They do a 19 to 21 inch kit in Japan for the dragster 400. Spokes and rim (it's compatible with the 650). Looking at about 450 AUS shipped to Oz. Buchanan's in California wanted abit more. Just felt that money I could redirect into other areas like a Mikuni carb and custom manifold.

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 pm

Bearcx wrote:Nice project, darren. Watching with interest.
Thanks, I'm trying to do as much as I can myself, which is half the fun .... the other half is riding LOL!

I guess I've been following this forum for years and so many of the stories and builds on here really motivated me.

I'm waiting for some stuff from the states then I'm going to 'mock up' minus electrical s to get the seat, and especially tank right, coil mounts, ignition mount etc. Then its pull everything off and do electrical's etc.

Let the swearing begin!!!! :)

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:22 am

I have a Suzuki Intruder which runs a 19'' front wheel while my Harley runs a 21" and I can't notice any difference. I do however like the look of the 21" better but that is just personal taste.
Youngblood

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:11 am

Youngblood wrote:I have a Suzuki Intruder which runs a 19'' front wheel while my Harley runs a 21" and I can't notice any difference. I do however like the look of the 21" better but that is just personal taste.
All the research and advice I read and received suggested that the 21 may feel a little heavy at low speed. I really wanted a 18 & 21 set up as I agree the 21 in my view looks better.

But the cost was too much. it would have set me back budget wise. I had to make the call and spend the money in other areas. Still a 21 will probably come somewhere down the line.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Log on to Evilbay or Gumnut and set up a search for a 2nd hand one. They will email you when a match comes up.

Just a thought.

You're probably right about the low speed handling, but, what matters is highway cruising. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Post by loulizard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Prof wrote:Good idea about the 19", I think the 21's are overrated and add a lot of expense unless you use a trail bike wheel.
How ever recently a couple of guys reckoned 21's handled better on the road... anyone got any comments from personal experience?
In regards to the wheel size handling better 19" v 21" should be about the same both 19" & 21" are commonly 90/90 profile tyres, so no real difference, 1" higher elevation has only a marginal effect on trail/rake of the front end. However on a car it makes a big difference to ride as lower profile tyres for larger diameter wheels to keep the overall diameter legal makes for a harsher ride due to less give in low profile tyres and thicker side walls. Having had both 21" & 19" front wheels could not tell the difference. Maybe a blind ride test ( figuratively speaking of course) will show a difference.

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Bearcx wrote:Log on to Evilbay or Gumnut and set up a search for a 2nd hand one. They will email you when a match comes up.

Just a thought.

You're probably right about the low speed handling, but, what matters is highway cruising. :D
Thanks for the tip .... good old Gumtree something always comes up .... just have to be quick !

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:14 pm

On my two bikes the 19'' is slightly worse than my 21'' for slow speed manoeuvring but that could also have something to do with the rake as my 19'' has a greater rake then the 21''.
Youngblood

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:31 am

Youngblood wrote:On my two bikes the 19'' is slightly worse than my 21'' for slow speed manoeuvring but that could also have something to do with the rake as my 19'' has a greater rake then the 21''.
That intruder of yours looks bad a$$, if an old Aunty dies and leaves me money I'll come knocking on your door and ride it back to WA LOL :D

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:01 am

Well it is up for sale, first in first served, as they say
Youngblood

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”