75 SX650 Bobber Build QLD.

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Youngblood

Re: 75 SX650 Bobber Build QLD.

Post by Youngblood » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Personally I would go for a 2pac for the fact that the finish is better, it's easier to repair if damaged and cost. sprayed my frame with 2pac and once fully cured applied lots of wax and it has stood up to the road use quite well. Some people like powder coating better but I have seen powder coating cracking and coming off for no real reason that I could tell and when there is damage you basically have to strip it back to bare metal and start again, lots of work and $$$$. But it's a personal choice.
Youngblood

rusty577
Interests: All Bikes.

At the moment Im interested in doing a bobber build and looking for a cheap project bike

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the reply youngblood.

Ive always painted my frames on other bikes even MX bikes when I was younger. All held up well.

There are also alot of marine/industrial paints around now that can be sprayed straight onto bare metal no primer needed.

Like an epoxy type paint.

Like to hear what others use.

rusty577

At the moment Im interested in doing a bobber build and looking for a cheap project bike

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Well bit of a update.

I had an eventful day. I had a day free and Ive been itching to get her started to hear the condition of the motor.

Id been tossing up weather to check the cam chain tentioner and this morning after plumbing up a cr80 fuel tank I had laying around & I thought Id better just check it and the timing one last night.

I pulled the tentioner right out to check its parts BIG MISTAKE. Stupid me tried to turn the motor over without the tentioner and it split teeth on the cam chain. Lets just say I had to walk away from the bike for a bit :twisted:

Anyway after two attempts at jiggling the crank into the right position with the tentioner removed again I was finally able to set it correctly again.

Feeling a little better I timed the points again to fire between the F marks on the flywheel. Got some fuel in here, gave her a few squirts of start ya bastard and on the 3rd kick after a backfire on the 2nd she fired into life and LIVES AGAIN and man does she sound mean with open headers with a few flames out the exhaust (needs mixture tuning)

I only ran the engine for a minute or two, but sounded very strong. I had to rush off home so I will have to give it a tune in the morning and put a timing light on her to make sure its on the sweet spot.

I got some gopro footage of the start up that I will edit and upload.

I got a few problems to sort out tomorrow. I have a fuel leak and I think its coming from the cross over pipe on the carbies the brass barb is loose in the housing, also I noticed one screw on one of the bowls is stripped and wont tighten down tight. I need to fix the mixtures on the carbies and put a timing light on while shes running. Currently I have 2 full turns out from shut on the mixture, need to look up the standard settings for a 75 it was shooting flames every now and again so Im thinking it may be a little rich.

Other then the flames ran nice and held an idle not even any smoke out the exhaust 8)

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Woohoo ! Brilliant stuff........

Flames are COOL. Makes drivers get out the way, real fast. 8) They may go away when you install the exhaust, at the mo' you have no back pressure to hold the charge in the cylinder. So cool youve got her running again, cant wait for the video. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Float bowl bolts are M3 I think. You can buy an M3 recoil set (about $80) or tap the thread out to M4. I run stainless socket head cap screws in my float bowls, so it is easy to use an allen key to remove the float bowls without having to remove the carbies.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

rusty577

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 am

Bearcx wrote:Woohoo ! Brilliant stuff........

Flames are COOL. Makes drivers get out the way, real fast. 8) They may go away when you install the exhaust, at the mo' you have no back pressure to hold the charge in the cylinder. So cool youve got her running again, cant wait for the video. :D
Thanks mate... Yeh Im stroke shes running after 15yrs. Put a smile on my face thats for sure.

rusty577

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 am

Prof wrote:Float bowl bolts are M3 I think. You can buy an M3 recoil set (about $80) or tap the thread out to M4. I run stainless socket head cap screws in my float bowls, so it is easy to use an allen key to remove the float bowls without having to remove the carbies.

I used a heli coil today & it was a m4 thread. It worked very well. I also used little araldite to secure the bars for the fuel cross over pipe between carbs & it all seams to be leak free now.

I had it running of the 1st kick today I have noticed the problem tho.

The left cylinder and exhaust seems to be running very very hot compared to the right side. Its not cold like a dead cylinder but rather normal hot if you get what I mean.

I no the bikes running fare to rich I have the mixture screw 2turns out and just saw in the manual the 75 XS650B carbs only require 3/4 turn out. Also the left carb boot was damage an sus looking. Could a vac leak cos the cylinder to run really hot????

rusty577

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 am

As promised...... First start up vid.... After 15yrs :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5F-zFHy ... e=youtu.be

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:37 pm

[quote="rusty577The left cylinder and exhaust seems to be running very very hot compared to the right side. Its not cold like a dead cylinder but rather normal hot if you get what I mean.

I no the bikes running fare to rich I have the mixture screw 2turns out and just saw in the manual the 75 XS650B carbs only require 3/4 turn out. Also the left carb boot was damage an sus looking. Could a vac leak cos the cylinder to run really hot????[/quote]

Yes, the cylinder will run hotter, when lean. More fuel has a quenching effect. Try to find some black silicone or similar at the Auto parts shop, and rub it on the intake boot. Should get ya going.

Great sounding bike, too.

nozila

Post by nozila » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:47 am

nice bike

rusty577

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks mate. Bit of a update. I got a chance to work on here yesterday.

I got her running beautifully. I did cam chain tention, valves clearances, sync/tune the carbs and set timing. Also found a large vac leak on the rubber boot on the right cylinder making it run really hot.

Now that I no the engine is good. Its time to strip her down to the frame.

Wiring loom.

What is this? It was under the battery box.... Im guessing its the rectifier? It looks very dirty and corroded. The bike was charging so I might just clean her up. Im still unsure If i will upgrade the ignition.

I think Im just going to spray the frame..... Whats other paint choices other than 2pak??

I was even thinking something like Raptor bed liner or similar.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Looks like the rectifier.

Any paint will do the job, Enamel, Acrylic, 2pack etc You could even get Hammertone finish, or powder coat it.!

Comes down to monies, longevity and preference. 2Pack is used mainly for finish, and is 'almost' chip resistant. It's costly, and dangerous to your health. But done right, is awesome ! Powder coating is cheap, very durable, and can be done in most towns and cities. Up to you really. :D

rusty577

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28 am

Gunna go with a 2pak satin black for the frame and swinging arm.

Also my SS aftermarket headers turn up on Monday. I had planed to make up my own out of pool ladder tubing but I picked these up so cheap with 2 exhaust flanges it wasn't worth my time lol.

I got the engine out of the frame and made up a engine stand that I mounted the engine on for easy transport in and out of the shop. I plan to tape everything up and give the outside a quick soda blast and another wash. Should come up nice.

The old boy just couldnt help himself and started stripping off the old paint..

Next step is to remove the rear wheel, gaurd and swinging arm.

Funds are a little tight (getting married) this week but need to order.

SS Spokes for the front 19" and 16" rear.

swing arm bush kit.

Steering neck bearing kit.

I was looking at mikesxs but postage is a killer. Does anywhere in Australia do spokes for these rims?

rusty577

anything 70s early 80s

Post by rusty577 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 am

Forgot to mention. I checked into the frame/engine numbers.

There matching but its telling me its actually a 74 TX650A. Here I was thinking it was a 75 XS650B haha. O well. :roll:

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Good pickup on the SS exhaust, will set it off nicely. Will last a hell of a lot longer running unleaded fuel too. Mild steel wont last as long.

(Love the chinese safety boots) :shock:

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”