cold, wet english winter, re-build that bike!!

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

rob

cold, wet english winter, re-build that bike!!

Post by rob » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:07 am

carrying on from my thread in 'G'day folks...'
the winter rebuild of this...

1st i'll bung a load of pics up with brief descriptions, (not the best quality, i took them on my phone), then kinda explain things from there..

after strip-down, this was the 1st idea.
suzuki jeep back wheel, engine spun 90', shaft drive off the gearbox output shaft, same tank, front end from bits that were lying around.

to get that rake on the front end i'd need raked yokes. cut by hand with a hacksaw, tidied up with files. they're finished now, with big radiused curved edges, to give an 'organic' smooth look. more pics later.

this was the first drive idea, the hub cut out of a Z1000ST back wheel, to fix to the jeep wheel.

then i fell off my other bike, that i'd put the single-sided back end in, so the plan changed (briefly) to this, so i could use some of the bits... you can
see the rake in the (unfinished) yokes, also the downdraught weber carb and the wishbone front end. the forks are just the legs, with the sliders taken off and axle supports welded on the bottoms

then i was lured into the dark world of superchargers!!
so i got a couple of cam pulleys fron a nissan skyline and a big air filter for the weber and a lump of HE30 ally off e-bay, and a new supercharger off an amazing bike builder over here called 'twizzle'.

i really wasn't happy that i'd turned the engine back round the 'right' way, so i had another re-design. bought an Aston Martin 3-piece bolt together rim off e-bay, so i can widen it to take a 360/30-18 tyre. then i went to the scrap yard and bought the rear sub frame from a citroen zantia, so i can use the 'uppy-downy' suspension, (variable ride height and no side stand, it just drops down onto a plate under the sump when i turn the engine off) i'll run it from an electric power steering pump that'll be hidden away somwhere...

then it was time to hit the lathe, to do the pulley mounts, and start the wacky final drive set up.

next i tacked up the exhaust, made out of 3 old systems i had lying about. it will be heat-wrapped in black heatproof webbing. dont forget, what was the front of the engine is now the left side!!

that brings us pretty much up to date, i'll bung some background up soon, it seems to go in 'fits and starts' coz i've got two othe projects on the go as well. i'll bung some more up soon, i hope you enjoy the build, comments please!!!

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:51 am

That is awesome mate!! good to see some skyline parts going into the build :D

SGT

Post by SGT » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:27 am

Maaaate,
Great stuff !!! Looks like you have access to all the right tools and machinery to build your vision. Wish I had access to a lathe and milling machine.
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
"OK, so what's the speed of dark?"

rob

Post by rob » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:15 pm

ta,
i've not got loadsa power tools, just a 190 amp mig plant, a couple of old 4 1/2" grinders, a small pillar drill and the small, very old lathe. (a myford ML7). most stuff gets done by hand. although it takes longer, it's more satisfying to do. proper old skool!! :D

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:32 pm

That's the way Rob, if you build it by hand you appreciate it more!!! i build all my bikes, parts and anything i do for others by hand and have just purchased a brand spankin lathe and mill, nothing wrong with a old myford lathe, will probably out last my new one! dont build em like them anymore! plasma cutter on my christmas wish list :)

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:06 am

Mate your way out there ideas have blown me away, I love em. Keep keeping us updated on the progress of all your wierd and wonderful chops.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:10 am

made a start on the plenumn chamber, 4 exhaust stubs from the pipes i cut up the other day, fit perfectly into the inlet stubs, even the raised ring on the end of the stub fits exactly into the groove in the rubber!! a bit of 16 gauge plate with a small return on it, and the side cut out of a GSXR750 silencer. got to angle the ends back a bit more yet.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:20 pm

Nice bike mate......we saw it at the Farmyard (the 2nd from last rally we did in UK before clearing off to Queensland)!!!!
Proper British headcase engineering!!! Kep it up mate, i'm gonna try to convert the Queensland mentality that every bike on the road has to be a Harley!!!!!!
Got lot's of plans, just need somewhere to do it!!!!

Cheers.

Shaun.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Very Tasty

Neo Dutch

Kansas

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 pm

Welcome to Oz Rob, it sure ain't Kansas.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:10 pm

stripped the top end off the motor, making the 2mm barrel spacer to lower the compression ratio.

rob

Post by rob » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:17 am

machined up the bit that joins the dif to the gearbox, using the old offset sprocket i'd made, (i'll cut the teeth off later). there's about 5mm clearance between the brake disc and the crankcases.

got new rear tyre... :D :D
had to go back to the original swing-arm, the shortened one didn't leave me enough room to get the fuel pump, suspension pump, all the hydrostatic suspension bits, battery etc, etc in the gap.

rob

Post by rob » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 am

progress is being made again, (at last, had a few medical issues), have a look....
http://www.britchopper.co.uk/forum/view ... &start=150

Skip
Interests: My beautiful wife...our dogs..shooting..motor bikes..Aussie Rules [ Richmond Tigers ]..tattoos

Updates

Post by Skip » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Hey Rob any further progress shots...looking forward to seeing where your up to. Hope your health is okay mate.
Catch 'ya Skip
Decide..go for it..stuff 'em

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Wild mate.
Have you been drinking the same stuff as Twizzle???

Nice. :D

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”