early Honda wreckers

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

flexyourhead

early Honda wreckers

Post by flexyourhead » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi again.
A new problem has emergef with my bike. I've been in the middle of hooking up a speedo cable to what I'm pretty sure is a'70-'72 Honda CB350 front wheel. Today I've found that the speedo worm drive gear is missing from the hub.
Can anyone recommend a wreckers or some outlet that may be able to help me get my hands on one of these?
Cheers.

Mark36

Re: early Honda wreckers

Post by Mark36 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Hey Grant, if ya haven't already, try Paul at Eastern Motorcycle Wreckers at Ringwood, very helpful bloke who may have what ya want but if he hasn't he may know what other models have the same drive. Cheers Mark

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Cheers Mark.
I actually dropped by there today but they appeared closed. Your the second person who has recommended them so I'll definitely make a point of dropping in there.

Pygmy

Post by Pygmy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:42 pm

hey grant you can try( puds four parts) phone 03 51825704, 252 commercial rd yarram vic 3971, he has everything to do with Hondas and his add is in just bikes magazine cheers pygmy. ps web site is-----www.pudsfourparts.com
Two speeds... flat out and stop

Mark36

Post by Mark36 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:54 pm

You're right Pygmy, Andrew at Puds is the Honda guru and a very helpful bloke too. Also Grant, if ya have no luck with Puds try Eastern again over the next week or two 'cos Paul has a month or so off during winter and would be due back soon I think. Cheers Mark

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

Update.....
Had an email off Andrew at Puds. It does appear to be a CB 350 hub but unfortunately he can't help me with the part. l have also spoken with Paul at Eastern Motorcycle Wreckers who was of extreme help. He may have one, just got to give him my hub and a couple of days to search for one.
l also spoke with Peter Stevens. They can get me in yhe complete kit for about $109.00. I'll try Paul first but Peter Stevens is looking like a no drama option.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:49 pm

If you can source one in Adelaide, I'm sure someone like me, could post it to ya. Let us know. Speedo drive isn't very big.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Update #2
Boy have the last few weeks been interesting regarding this front wheel and speedo. It is off a 70-72 Honda CB350. I found speedo worm drive gear on Ebay for a CL350only to be told by another person that the CL350 and the CB350 had two different internal hub sizes and it wouldn't fit. A week later another one popped up also off a CL350 but advertised to suit CB350. I took the plunge, bought it and it fits perfectly.

This whole exercise has revealed another problem. On the CB350 the hub sits on the left hand side. When this bike was first built, the wheel was flipped over. As a result the hub is now on the right hand side. No major dramas but because it has been flipped, the speedo worm drive now spins in reverse.
I have spoken to three speedo drive type people and so far I have one of two options.

1/Put a right angle adapter on the back end of the speedo which reverses the drive. Great idea but I can't come out with a R/A adapter. It needs to be coming out straight.

2/ I can get a new face put in the speedo but instead of 1 - 140km left to right, it would be 1 - 140km right to left.The stop pin is repositioned to the right hand side. In other words the speedo kind of works backwards. It would just look weird I guess. Also this option means the odometer works backwards instead of forward.

I like option 1 but is there the same sort of concept available for it in a straight option instead of right angled?

Reading back I'm starting to sway towards option 2!!!

All opinions and thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

xsive

Post by xsive » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:35 pm

OK why is the wheel flipped ? what is the reason for it to be on the opposite side ....Brakes? drum or disc?
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 pm

That would be my question also. Check to see if the wheel can be flipped back. Even getting a new lug welded on your lower fork legs would be simpler and cheaper than the other suggestions.

Cheaper still is a bicycle speedo. they are small, go up to 150k's, are now wireless and are cheap. More expensive ones are illuminated as well. Legal as far as I know.

If you want to keep stock looking speedo, mount the bicycle speedo inside a stock case with a cutout in the face.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I'd fit it backwards and wind a few thousand kays off the speedo, then fix it........... :shock:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:19 pm

I believe the wheel was flipped as the brake stay bar is attached at the front half of the hub. As a result some sort of bracket would have had to be attached forward of the centre axle and attach somewhere on the LHS rocker (springer forks). Cosmetically it would look atrocious. By flipping it over the brake stay attachment point is behind the centre axle and a small bracket has been made up and attached to the rear of the RHS rocker. It actually works a treat.
I have only come to this conclusion as it was the first thing I tried when I realised the wheel had been flipped. After about ten minutes at looking at what I was up against I realised why it was flipped in the first place.
Having said all that I have just returned from the garage and after actually holding the speedo in place etc, a right angle adapter would work fine depending on how tight of a radius a speedo cable can have before it's too tight for the cable to turn comfortably.
I'll be experimenting tomorrow night with the cordless drill.

Nice advise Prof.

It's a new speedo Bear. zero K's for a brand new motor

=)

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:24 pm

The final update on this topic!
I went to Howards Instruments to try and source the reverse drive angle adaptor. They gave me a web site in the UK to try. I found what I was after but a bit unsure with dimensions etc. I dropped them a line with all dimensions I had etc etc. To date still no reply.
Funny thing is while I was checking out there website again last night there was a link to a page that determines whether you need a reverse drive adaptor or not. I checked it out. I was pleasantly surprised.
Both my speedo and my worm drive both turn in the same direction being clockwise. ie. no reverse drive required. Where I went wrong right from the start was to assume the worm drive was now turning in the wrong direction as the wheel had been flipped leaving the hub on the RHS. Turns out they the worm drive actually turned in an anti clockwise rotation with the wheel in the original position with the hub on the LHS.

So at the end of the day I've just lost about 5 weeks of chasing something I never needed in the first place but now it's full steam ahead again. I'm currently getting a new longer speedo cable made up. After I hook the speedo up it's out for it's maiden run.

Can't wait for that one.

Thanks all for your input.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Not fully wasted time as you and we have learned a bit more about speedos.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Very true Prof. I actually hesitated when I wrote it as even though it did add extra time etc onto everything, l did learn a fair bit along the way.
Cheers again.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”