Staffy's CX500 bobber

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Pygmy

Re: Staffy's CX500 bobber

Post by Pygmy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 pm

staffy just one thing to remember, if its going to be a week end hack by all means lower it but if you intend to go away on a long ride with it loaded up you will be gratefull to have some suspension under your butt,just something to think about, pygmy.
Two speeds... flat out and stop

Staffy

Post by Staffy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Nah, got the other one as a daily. This'll be a hack.

Staffy

Post by Staffy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Ok, so yesterday I'm looking at the bike and thinking I don't like the angle of the engine, or the angle the driveshaft sits in relation to the engine. I thought it'd be great to lower the front of the engine a little and was musing for a bit then went onto other things. Almost by accident I came across this vid on youtube where the problem has been solved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfJ-sN5sUNc

Now the only thing is that I work at home mainly with a gasless mig but have a real junker arc welder I can sometimes do some work with. That's a real apinstaking process though. It's real junk. I also don't have a pipe bender here. I have a mate in Murray Bridge who's a great panel beater, fabricator and welder but due to demand he doesn't do mates rates anymore. Still, it's something to think about and it may be the impetus for buying a decent arc welder.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Crazy uncomfortable riding position, but definitely interesting pipes.

Dave raked his CX500 and no doubt will add some ideas to this thread when he is able.

Arc is as strong as MIG. Just remember your life is hanging on that front end. I would suggest that you progressively cut V's in the top of the backbone near the rear of the tank and fold it up until engine drops enough to be level. I don't see why you couldn't do this with motor in frame and front end intact.... just disconect the top front engine mounts. Key is to keep steering head aligned. One way is... before cutting, to clamp the frame firmly to a solid base, remove front end and run a line through the steering head and mark a centre line. After cuttng take front end off and line it up again and make any corrections before final welding. Then once rewelded run a 3" long 3mm curved plate over it for extra strength. Then lengthen the top engine mounts behind the steering head.

There are other ways to keep alignment... a simple one being to clamp a straight edge across the bottom triple tree. Measure to a point each side on the bottom of the front of the frame. Rake and then make sure both measurements have increased by the same amount and alignment should be correct.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Staffy

Post by Staffy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I wasn't plan on touching the front of the frame at all. I figured the front engine hanger could be modified to lower the engine by adding extra height to the top of it. Either that or bolt the hanger onto a section that bolts onto the where the hanger would normally attach to the frame. The hanger is part number 10 in this image

Staffy

Post by Staffy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 am

Prof,

Having just reread your post it makes a lot more sense to me. It might also help that I now have my Irlen glasses and everything now makes more sense! That could really work well. Certainly something to consider.

Slight change over the weekend. Much better I reckon.

Before:

After:

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Staffy,

I cut the backbone of my CX, (pie cut) and welded in a wedge of solid steel. This allowed the engine to run more parallel to the ground. Also, Prof and I, lengthened the engine hanger brackets, to suit.

The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Staffy

Post by Staffy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Bear, I had a dig through your photobucket and there's some great tricks for dropping one of these bikes. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I pinched one or two? :D

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Not at all, Staffy. It's a public forum, thats why I put up pics. Hopefully they inspire others to chop !

I love the smell of welding in the morning ..............
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”