FXDS not exactly a chopper project...

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

tigerbob

FXDS not exactly a chopper project...

Post by tigerbob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:36 pm

As the title suggests, this isn't really a chopper project although the intention is to make the dyna slightly more chopperish in appearance.

I decided to return the bike to as stock as possible for some photos. This meant putting the stock bars back on which are kinda pull-back in style. I never liked these bars and changed them after just one ride when I bought the bike.

Here's some pics of the stock bike.

Stock bars with bare bones seat

I ran this FLH rear guard temporarily a while ago to sort out the mounting. Here it is with the FXR bars I also used.

I'm using the FLH guard in an effort to make the rear appear a little lower. I was considering chopping it to a wideglide style guard but want the option of using the factory saddle bags that use a captive nut at the bottom of the guard (I will have to add the captive nut to the FLH guard).

I have lowered a front guard and have an FXDL tank & gauge pod for it as well but still need the gauge bracket (will make that) and gauges that will fit (the captive bolt on the FXDS gauges are too long). I also need an FXDL fuel gauge for the tank as it's different to the FXDS one. I will lift the front of the tank as well. I'm not sure how much I can raise it as the handle bars only just clear the tank as it is. If I raise the bars then they are uncomfortable and make the steering feel vague.

Hopefully I'll be able to temporarily mount the guards & tank on the weekend to see how it all looks & get some pics.

Of course, some longer forks would be nice too!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

tigerbob

Re: FXDS not exactly a chopper project...

Post by tigerbob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 pm

A bit of time in the shed today, removing the stock tin ware and 'tacking on' the other bits I have. I'm hoping to achieve an 'older' look- something like a late 70s or early 80s look.

I added a lowered front guard, FLH rear guard with a Model A Ford tail light & raised FXDL tank. The idea is to make the front look longer and the rear lower without having to use longer forks and lower shocks.

Tinware off.

The 'new' bits on + a bit of photshop to give the pic an aged look as well as cover up the unfinished welding on the rear guard.

A bit more photoshop to adjust the colour & add tank graphics to see what the finished bike might look like

The two yellow crosses just in front of the tank show how high the front of the tank is raised. Sorry about the sideways pic- I've tried rotating it in Photobucket but with no luck.

'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

xsive

Post by xsive » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 pm

i like the lines /style your going for .but for me i reckon that me personaly would be dropping it down front and back low style .would look shite hot :roll:
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Yep, low looks cool- no argument there!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Been working towards getting the Dyna back on the road which means transferring the rego from ACT rego to NSW rego. I've got a new rear tyre and a new gel battery.

I ordered the new battery while I was at work which meant getting the dimensions from the Yuasa battery that is listed for my bike. As it turns out the battery is the same size as the external dimensions of the chrome cover that normally sits around the battery which means I can't use the cover.

Although the battery is firmly clamped it looked like it was just sitting there so I decided to use a stirrup strap from an old saddle. So here's how it looks now. I may have to order a Choppers Australia sticker to put on there as well!

'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I've made a little progress on this bike over the last few months. I'm not sure if I've posted some of these pics before so apologies if I have. I've managed to get it transferred to NSW rego which was a drama as my bike doesn't have a compliance plate. I've been riding again for about a month and have gotten used to the original bars which I now quite like. I may just get some slightly taller risers.

This is where I cut out the factory tail light mount from the FLH guard that I want to use. I have also welded up the factory bolt holes for the number plate bracket. I had originally intended to use a Model A Ford tail light but have decided to use a Lucas tail light. After welding up the holes I discovered that they were the correct layout for the Lucas bracket - *%$*# :(

I cut open & flattened some square tubing for a patch panel.

I also had to modify the mounting points. This is prior to welding in patches.

This is the other side after being welded up.

These are the tail light and indicators that I'll be using. They are off the Tiger as I will be using the Model A tail light on the Tiger and probably small bullet indicators.

This FXDL tank has been raised at the front and an infill panel welded in to cover the resultant 2" gap.

The front of the tank with infill panel.

And finally some primer and dust coat on the tin ware consisting of a lowered front guard, modified FXDL tank and FLH rear guard. I deliberately haven't bought any wet & dry paper yet so I'm not tempted to rub back the primer before it's had a chance to cure for the week.

I also picked up an engraved headlight mount recently so will also mount that when I fit the guards & tank. I'm still not locked in to a paint scheme yet but it will be a mild custom using some paint that I've had lying around for a few years. I've never done custom paint before so am looking forward to trying something new.

'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”