pics of the '69 project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Silent Grey Fellow

Re: pics of the '69 project

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Spot on
Silent Grey Fellow

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:31 am

I think if you swapped out the springer for a 2" under telescopic front end and ran a smaller front wheel it would be dam close to 550, springers always change the rake on a bike by moving the wheel further forward. Been thinking of making one for 5hits and giggles !
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 am

Now you're talking Brassy.
I'm hoping that if all fails with the springer and a RWC, there will be something I can do with the forks etc to reduce the distance to 550. What you have suggested sounds like my first avenue of choice. This will be an adventure!

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 am

Wondering where you took the pipes & what it cost to get the chroming done??

I don't know how chrome compares to ceramic coating.

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I had the exhaust made at Eastern Exhaust. (at least I think that's what they are called. I can look into it if you like.) They are located on Scoresby Rd , Bayswater just up from the corner of Mountain Hwy.
As for chroming, I had the rims, spokes and springer chromed at Vinnies in Dandenong. Cost was $2,000. Happy with the results but it took a long time to get them all back. A very long time indeed. I also had to return a couple of items as they weren't quite finished right.
Next place was Ferntree Gully Platers. $50.00 for about 20 dome nuts and spring washers. OK result but it didn't feel like the kind of place I'd be going back to in a hurry.
Final place was Star Plating in Power St Bayswater. Once again I'm pretty sure this was the place but I can confirm if you like. The exhaust plus 2 x header clamps cost $450.00. The guy also cleaned up and braised a couple of my bracket welds. A very neat job. This guy I will defiantly be going back to.

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Tue May 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi again everyone,
Well the bike is on its final leg of completion prior to attempting to get the RWC.
I've decided to use a speedo on it but I'm not sure how to go about getting everything married up to work. What I think I need to know is based on the pics that accompany this string, what kind of front wheel am I running?
A couple of people have commented that it's Japanese but I really don't know. I'm figuring that I need to know what the wheel is and then work from there.
I've seen a couple of neat looking speedos on Ebay for Harleys etc quoting they have a 12mm nut. Is this the thread size of the point where the cable connects to the speedo?
Sorry to sound so stupid but this is all a learning process for me.
Also if anyone can suggest the proper procedure for getting a speedo to work on my bike I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers again and pics of the finished project should only be a couple of weeks away.
My fingers are crossed.

nozila

Post by nozila » Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Very nice work so far. Good luck on getting it rego''d, pending on what state your in.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue May 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Re speedo, HD front wheel speedos are 2:1 ratio for running on a 90/90/19 front wheel. You can work out your drive ratio by putting a chalk mark on your tyre and a texta mark at speedo drive output. Turn the wheel one full rotation and note how many rotations your drive does. the Kawasaki front wheel hub I have on my shovel is about 2.5:1 so at 80k my stock HD speedo shows around 85k. I live with it. You could use the HD speedo and mark the glass with white paint at the main speeds. Obviously your trip meter will be out to the same degree.

You can also purchase mini speedos to suit jap drives.

HD use two size nuts on the top of the speedo cable; 12mm & 16mm

I adapted a HD speedo cable to the Kawaski drive.

You can take your speedo cable to a couple of places (see fits & Bits forum) to have different ends put on if you find the right ends... Jap bikes of 70's had only a few different fittings at the bottom of the cable. Top fittings are mostly the same.

Quite a few of us run bicycle electronic speedos that can be accurately calibrated.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm

cheers Prof. Your info has helped out a lot. I'll let you know how l go.

Mark36

Post by Mark36 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 pm

G'day Flex, depending on whether you are looking for a rego solution or a permanent speedo and whether you are looking for period correct or not I have a very neat digital set up that will avoid all the front wheel drive problems you have. If you are interested and want to have a look I am just around the corner in The Basin. I would bring the bike round for you to look at but I have no seat on it for another few days. Cheers Mark

xsive

Post by xsive » Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 pm

if ya got 12volt power digital is a piece of p155 and very accurate as you program total mm of the road coverered in 1 revolution chinese type about $120 american $double i use the chinese type exactly the same no probs :)
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Cheers for the offer Mark but I'm looking more at the traditional type. Is should be right from this point but if not, I will be re-posting.

Deni Dave

Post by Deni Dave » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Looking good mate, I used to love riding this bike before selling it to you all those years ago. keep up the good work!

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Well the time has finally arrived. The bike is as good as done with the RWC booked in for early March. Just over 6 years to the day I originally purchased it from Deni Dave.

A couple of final dramas though.

I bought two brand new amals for it. One eventually failed after about40 kms of riding in. Incorrect pilot jet installed at the factory. Funny about that as the carby that was OK ended up having the same jet but with no issues. A letter was promptly sent to Amal only to be told there was nothing wrong with the original carby but they were replacing it all the same. By the time we realised where the issue was, one set of rings failed to bed and the bore glazed up. Top end off again, re bored, new hepalyte rings, replacement carby and so far, so good.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Wicked looking bike. Love the flat black. (and springer) :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”