'73 TR6RV bobber project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

tigerbob

Re: '73 TR6RV bobber project

Post by tigerbob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Yep, that seat will joint the evergrowing pile of parts for future use

I think I may go with the brass as it will add a bit of contrast to the rest of the chrome on the bike. I intend on adding gold pinstriping to the tank flashes so the brass will compliment the striping (hope I don't sound too much like an interior designer)!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Wow, it's been over a year since my last post on this build. Mainly because nothing has happend... Well, I finally have a very small amount of progress but at least it's progress.

Money has been the main obstacle in my way. I'm still not working as much as I want so there's been no spare cash for anything. With this in mind, I noticed this wheel clamp that was lying at the end of my street, getting kicked around for a couple of months.

It dawned on me that it could make a seat pan for me so I grabbed it and set to work with a hacksaw, hammer and jigsaw.

I sketched the shape on one side of the 'disc', copied it onto a piece of paper & cut it out, then flipped it over on to the other side to get a symetrical outline.

I still need to weld a bit of the offcut to the front to increase the length but will do that later. I'll probably give it a bit more shape then as well.

I also need to sort out a pivot & springs etc but will most likely make the pivot myself.

Now, with any luck I'll be able to find a nice piece of leather lying around too...
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Make your pivot strong and with close tolerances, so you don't have a wobbly seat. Pivot not springs are the key to seat stability.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 am

That makes sense Prof.

I also believe that a wider pivot is better?

I'm still considering making a sprung saddle like you have on the WLA but I'd have to buy the springs which brings me back to my initial problem...
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

xsive

Post by xsive » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm

good to see ya back on.the seat base is looking good (klampit) reminds me of the beverly hillbillies perhaps you could call your design the hillbilly style :roll: building stuff from cr@p love it
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm

You can always do the seat you want at a later date. My shovel is still running 'temporary' parts after 10 years and last year finally got the stainless forwards I wanted to make for it. 'Temp' pipes finally burnt out and I have chucked on another temporary set!,,The parts for the final set are still hanging in the workshop roof... Springer front end I designed before I started the build is still just a drawing, but will get made soon I hope.

By the way I think your choice of raw material is quite novel... great stuff. Early HD customisers use to cut up harley crashbars (and even kitchen chairs) to make tall handlbars (called 'hooks'). Front guards used to be reversed to make rear guards (HD copied the idea more recently) and 20x3.25" front wheels of British bikes often replaced the front HD 18x4.50". Many tractors lost their headlights to the early choppers.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Cheers guys!

If only I had the Clampett $$$.

I did Industrial Design at uni which meant I was constantly making presentation models. All my designs were inspired by what materials I had in the shed so I wouldn't have to buy much on a crappy student's income (nothing seems to have changed). It's second nature to me!

As they say, one man's trash is another's treasure. I've got my eye on an abandoned BBQ now so I can cut some sheet to plug up the hole in an FLH guard I'm doing for the Harley. I've cut out the light bracket as I'm hoping to use either a tombstone light or a Model A Ford tail light.

I've had do put in a couple of notches as well.

Still working on this one...

Unfortunately I'm having to use .9mm gasless wire to weld the sheet. It's a pain but do-able. A skimming of filler will help as well.

Funny you should mention the front Harley guards being reversed for the back as I'm thinking of doing that on the Triumph with the front FLH guard I have. I just have to get it over from Adelaide...
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri May 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Finally, a tiny bit of progress after being stalled for a couple of years.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would like a rectangular headlight then spotted this one on a Facebook page for $25.

It's chromed steel and has a twin filament globe. It probably won't throw out much light but then again, the old halogen unit didn't do much either...
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sat May 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Nice to hear from you again, Glad you still have the bike, and are making progress. Love the old rectangular lights. Prof just installed some on his shovel, and they look awesome. Very '70's.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”