'73 TR6RV bobber project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

tigerbob

Re: '73 TR6RV bobber project

Post by tigerbob » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Slow progress on this one due to my shoulder but I did just purchase a Model A tail light for it so there's one less decision to make. I also just re-registered it so now there's less money available to spend on it... :cry:

At least there's minor progress.

I've also got 1 brass kicker pedal & 1 chrome pedal. I'll see which I prefer when I'm able to use the shoulder again.

Am also considering either coctail shaker mufflers or fishtails and "M" bars (M bars were always on the agenda, even before hardtailing but will be necessary to clear the raised tank).

I'll have to photoshop the muffler choices to see how they look.

Hey presto, a little time spent on photoshop and here are the options...

Fishtails:

Cocktails (although the photoshopping doesn't look too good):
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:32 pm

You could run the bottom pipe shorter which I think would look better and would also even up pipe lengths for mixture. Fishies are my choice.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Fishtails 8)
Youngblood

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:20 am

Still going virtually nowhere on this project. I have picked up a beer keg oil tank for it though as I want to increase the oil capacity of the bike as well as add some type of cooler. I decided on the alloy keg that I intend to mount at the bottom of the front downtubes. I've taken a couple of pics with the tank duct taped roughly in position.

I have a cheap claxton horn that I will mount to the back of the oil/down tube (below the seat) and will also have the battery & some sort of electrical box there as well. The horn is just plastic but I will keep an eye out for a reasonably priced vintage one in future. In the mean time I will paint or try to rusticate the cheap one.

Image Image

'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Flarris

Post by Flarris » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Why not put it behind the motor and fill in the gap , and do you really need an oil cooler, just a thought, cheers.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Bike looks great, me, id vertically mount that tank (for chain clearance) behind engine, with such a long stretch it'll make it look in proportion, put a stiff dicky oil filter out front if ya want something there, and i like the trumpet style mufflers......because its a trumpet, not a harley ferguson. but sorry i thing down either side would look the buissness too.

just thoughts....its lookin BA.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!

I suppose I don't necessarily need an oil cooler, it would be nice to have though as these things have a smaller oil capacity than originally intended. The idea of a cooler running engine is appealing in Sydney where you can spend a lot of time sitting still.

I thought of mounting it under the seat but will have the claxton horn & battery box there eventually. Will have to see what space is availble when I get around to mounting things properly. I had originally intended to run a beehive filter below the seat but then I noticed quite a few people already doing that (and they cost too much). Thought I would try something a little different- give it a bit of an early 70's look
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

xsive

Post by xsive » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 am

i like the keg idea and would use the shakers each side .oil cooler in sydney would only work if you were moving my 2 cents waste of time. bike coming along great . when we gunna meet you in the hunter valley only 90 mins quite a few of us get together up here . nigel (78 gold ) comes from sth syd to my place almost every other weekend to work on his rigid trumpy .
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey xsive, just noticed your post.

I won't be too mobile until after Christmas when I'll have had the next operation on my shoulder and hopefully have the Harley back from the repairers.

I'll be able to fix the F100 when I get a working shoulder again so I'll be able to transport the Trumpy as well.

Stay tuned (but don't hold your breath- it's been a loooong 5 months since my accident)!

Cheers,

PS: Maybe I could use the keg for bourbon??!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Definately put the oil tank under the seat. Way too much space under there and forward of the downtubes make it too heavy looking at the front. Also places your oil tank in the way of flying road junk.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 am

Those CDC oil tanks are good and solid . The increased capacity will help with keeping the oil temps down . Looking good and keep it going
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Picked up a seat (home built in the early 80s) from an old mate while down in Adelaide. Would like to use it but the old "sprung seat on a hardtail" rule could upset things. Then again...

'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Nice seat, but IMO I don't think it suits you build as there is too much space in front.

Also I think you want some springs.. Still is a nice seat.

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah, was wondering about that. Installing a rear guard would bring it forward some but probably not enough...

I think the rear of the seat goes back a little too far as well meaning the sissy bar will be at too great an angle.

I think this seat was originally used on his WLA. It's home made but professionally upholstered I think- too good to throw out which is what it was destined for.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 am

Chuck it in the pile for the next build ;-)

Did you decide on the chrome or brass kicker?

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”