Barn Find CB550 - Finished Pg5!

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 pm

please say your only joking.
Jason

wolfsbane
Interests: lots of stuff

Post by wolfsbane » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:28 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
NO
"Fear not death, for the hour of your doom is set and none may escape it."
Wassa - Goldy

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Post by gsand » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:45 pm

:lol:

I need to find another motor for it, it'll just be a waiting game for one to pop up on ebay at the right price.

For what its worth, the yamaha motor (yes sr250) is not gonna happen, but if a good Honda engine came along I wouldnt think twice about slotting in something different (xr600 would be nice...)

In case any of you are wondering - im not a purist :lol:

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 am

I got a spare xt250 engine kickin around, (not close either) maybe a double engined 'Hogslayer' yammy single frankenbike would work?

what about a trumpy? that would be sweet......and annoy people
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

gsand

Post by gsand » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Pushed the forks down through the tubes to simulate the extended ones that are coming.

Put together some temporary rabbit ears until I can get some good tube to work with.

Will probably end up pulling the loom and doing my own.... So much wiring that isn't really necessary for our application.

gsand

Post by gsand » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 am

Finally got into the engine!!!!

Took me about a week of various atttempts to get two buggered head bolts off.

Finally got it done by investing in a carbide drill bit and mounting the whole block in the drill press.

Also managed to get them out without damaging the head.

3 pistons were fine (as expected) and their bores look good, the stuck one needed to be wacked out with a block of wood and is looking pretty rough.

Rings are VERY stuck in it, and their is a ring of rust around the cylinder.

The head is looking pretty disgusting too.

At this stage, the minimum parts i could possible get away with is new rings, and a gasket kit. Its possible that new pistons might be needed but It's something i;d rather avoid.

Does anybody know a source of bearing shells? The ones that came out looked good with no scoring on them but I think its something that should be replaced every time?????

One of the three Nice piston

And the nasty one

Nice Bores

Ugly Bore

And the head :shock:

Stay tuned. Even though this motor might not be going anywhere for a while, the bike will be getting cleaned up over the next week, a lot of stripping and painting and it might end up looking like its worth saving :lol:

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 am

I would give those bores a hone and see if that scoring cleans up it doesn't look deep in the photo's but you know how photo's can be. Once you know if it needs a rebore or not I would look out for a rebuild kit if your main and cam bearings are undersize let them know when you order it, same goes with the pots and rings you will be able to pick up a full kit out of the states for next to nothin (gaskets, bearings,cam chain,rings pistons if needed and so on)
Who's a lucky boy today :D

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks for all the pics and info Glenn, really interesting thread.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 am

Bit of elbow grease and a dab of paint...

Hit the frame, swingarm, treess and back wheel with black. I'm leaving the front wheel for now (I want to run a 19" drum)

Picked up some Flat track bars which I just love (at the moment!)

Brushed fork legs.

Polish attempt at the very rusty rear shocks - came up okay.

Todays jobs are to free up the rear drum, can barely move the arm on it, get some polishing done on the rear guard/taillight stuff and get that mounted back in there.

New cables arrived and of course now I have these bars theyy are a bit too long :lol:

And just to REFRESH your memory

This weeks expenses

Flat Track bars (M.C.S.) $40
AMAL type throttle unit $30

Total $122

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Alright so here's something to give the purists some nightmares. I found it for sale at a bargain price (apparently running) and couldn't pass it up

So here it is, CB350 four in a CB550 frame. Rear lower mount is fine.
Rear upper mound and front bottom mounts are about an inch off And will be made up with 1/4" plate. Front mount will a welded plate arrangement due to the downtubes, the 350 uses a single downtube. There is enough clearance between the inner and outer pipes for the downtubes to pass through. Pictured is stock 350 4-1.

Looks like I will just have to offset the rear wheel to the right a bit.

Don't know the condition of the motor, except it turns over freely and has nice compression - so it's already better than mine was. A broken bit of cast steel was sitting in the sump when it came off so that might be a problem down the track!!!!!

Motor was covered head to toe in grease and grime when I picked it up - look at her shine now.

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:56 pm

mate looks awesome this is a great read and well done on how well you have put it together, keep it coming

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Well it's been a long while since an update, but here I am and here's the ol bike.

Some long nights have been put in, and lots of credit to Prof for wiring, brazing the repairs needed on the headers, and supplying some bits i needed - plus ENDLESS ammounts of knowledge! Taught me all about Points ignition and much more.

Thinking i should grab some extended tubes for it and putt around....
Sissybar was just made tonight, 1/2" round bar bent cold, by hand.

bit of a run down:

75' CB550F SuperSport
74' CB350F engine (custom front engine mount)
Factory 350F Headers with random muffler welded on (or it resembles a muffler!) - possibilty of a detatchable tall bird shooter
Minimal wiring with hidden ignition and light switches. No guages or warning lights.
Yamaha small trials type headlight, plus fork tube brackets
New extended cables
Baby Apes
Amal style throttle
Mini clutch lever
Red grips
1/2" Sissy bar ( can never be to tall.....)
4 Pod filters (waiting on them)

Almost everything on the bike has been cleaned, painted, stripped.

Hope you enjoy the pics - Ive taken it for a short ride and the motor performs well. It's not registered yet so that is this weeks task - Hopefully it will be a simple job. You may also note the lack of front brake lever, well darned public holidays mean it have to wait an extra day to get a brake hose made up.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Good to see it on the road.....
Loud pipes save lives

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Well heres a little update for ya

Went to take it to get inspected for rego other day. All was going great until it stalled at Port Road/South Road intersection. Spent a few minutes on the red light trying to kick it, and the kickstart started to slip. Pushed it into the middle of port road out of the traffic, and kept going. Kicker was only engaging through the bottom 1/8 of rotation.

Finally got er going and booted it all the way to Regency. Well of course by the time I had got there the kicker had completely stripped and wasjust spinning freely. Attempted to bump start but clutch seemed to be slipping too much. Ho hum.... They wont pass a vehicle that doesnt start but the lads were top and had a go anyway to tell me what else I needed... All good except for air filters ( it had none)

Now to get home.... Managed to pull the some covers off and obtain some wire from a very helpfull trucker, we "jumpstarted" the startermotor and I was on my way.... All I had to do was make it home to Unley in peak hour traffic without letting it stall. Well I got home and an interesting ride it was! Everytime i was stopped in traffic ( alot) i had to keep the revs up to prevent it from stalling. To be fair while it was a pain at idle, the bike was moving pretty nicely under power and is super comfortable to ride. Engine was pretty rattly but didnt really think much of it (assuming its just a very worn but running motor)

Fast forward to today, I had to fix some oil leaks for the next inspection, so I drained the oil and pulled the sump.

Oil looked like glitter, full of aluminium shavings. Hmmmm

Took the rocker cover off to find the timing chain had no tension to it and was slack as a rubber band. Time for further inspection, Head came off and then the barrels.

Damage is BOTH broken chain tensioners, as a result the timing chain has been grinding down through the cases and generally wreacking havoc in the motor.

Alas, I'm back to square one looking for another motor. I might persue my original dream of squeezing in an XR600 if I can find one.

Over and out!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:28 pm

MMMMmmmmAAAAaaattttttte.........theres been some beauties on evilbay cb450.....gs 500......etc....what about a moder cbr 400/600.........

I dig your take no prisoners approach.
Loud pipes save lives

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”