Barn Find CB550 - Finished Pg5!

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Barn Find CB550 - Finished Pg5!

Post by gsand » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm

A few months back I got word that a relative had a "bike" tucked away in a shed down in Reynella. After varying stories from different family members, the most exciting one was that it was a BSA in boxes.

I finally got some solid information that it was indeed CB550 Supersport, complete. I also found out that it hadn't been touched or covered for that matter since it was parked up 20 years ago. Starting to wonder now.....

Well today i was finally able to see the bikr today and brought it home with me. As you can see rust has made a nice visit, but the bike is complete and certainly has potential.

First step is to attempt to get it running.... then it will be getting a period 70's chopper build. Not a full custom, but the "bolt on parts" style that was so popular during the seventies.

Looking a bit scary... Not so complete.

But then

Got it back to my shed and got some more pix of this thing

Will try to get stuck into the motor this week. Failing that does anybody have a good spare :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by gsand on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 am, edited 6 times in total.

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:56 pm

And although this is a bad picture (and a cb350..) this is exactly what I have planned for it.

I already have some left over bits for it, including a cocktail shaker muffler, 2.2gal alien tank, lots of steel stock and plenty of imagination

Image[/i]

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm

All Class, All The Time......lkn frwd to seein it come together...congrats
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

gsand

Post by gsand » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Starting to get exciting now!

Clutch - seized
Kickstart - seized
Rear brake - seized
Entire motor - seized.

Still be workin on it to consume my spare time, this bike will NOT be restored but built up to appear a Chopper built in the 70's and then left to rot... Just be a matter of finding another motor down the track or shoehorning something else in.

Oh and i just peeked at the old rego disc - last registered 27 years ago!!

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Can't you just rebuild the motor you already have, it would be a better motor than a 2nd hand one that you nothing about and you would have peace of mind instead of running down the road on a bike with a motor that might not perform, run correctly or even sieze at the very best leaving you stranded and at worst pushing up daisies. If I was getting a 2nd hand motor I would rebuild it regardless of what condition the prior owner told me it was in. :? we have all heard those BullSh1t stories before in the end I trust me not some joker who just wants your hard earned cash.

gsand

Post by gsand » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Gonna try to get the motor out this week, crack it open and see whats up.

It wont be getting a rebuild, funds are just not there, but i'll see if we can survive with new rings and a cylinder hone.

Failing that it'll be a cool ornament to bring to events :)

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:52 pm

yeaaahhh bro!!

as you know this is the stuff i dig and that 70's bolt on period especially!
The cb 550 is a cool motor too even our prof has had one!

I disagree brassy mate coz then the bike loses its soul and story. The engine is the heart and if you replace with another then what makes the bike so different from someone who has money and just buys parts. If gsand does this up how cool would that be a bike regoed 27 years ago! found at a relatives taken to the madhouse and turned into a chopper!.

good one bro keep the pics comin!

gsand

Post by gsand » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks Matt

Hows your sporty goin?

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 pm

your right bro

yeah man good
loads of fun super loud. Just i had all these mad plans for it but its the most money i have ever spent on anything so choppin will be slow and careful atm i have a set of w bars on it and hopefully a solo seat.

cheers man

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:10 am

so matt you would rather run a motor that hasnt been touched for 20+ years and is siezed thats alot of pushin maybe it would then be called a pushbike or buy some heaper motor off some dude you dont know only to have it turn into one big nightmare, back to realitty rebuild the motor thats in it the safest bet.you are one seriously confused guy.

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 pm

I'd pour penetrating oil down the plugs and let it sit for a bit, then see if you can crank it over, if it frees up then maybe just a simple top end rebuild would be required.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

gsand

Post by gsand » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm on it Hap.

Stupid question, where can I get the appropriate tool to get the plugs out? My typical plug wrench is too large to reach the plugs on the head.

Thanks to all who have replied

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

watever i seem to have made journeys out of rides where i have broken down compared to the ones that are always the same. Chops aren't always perfect not for the garage builder anyway

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm

gsand wrote:I'm on it Hap.

Stupid question, where can I get the appropriate tool to get the plugs out? My typical plug wrench is too large to reach the plugs on the head.

Thanks to all who have replied
you local auto shop should have the thinner plug spanner.

Or buy some cheap tube spanners, one will fit :D

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

xsive

honda

Post by xsive » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm

well glen nice find but have to agree with the others but the length of time sitting around even if you do get it to run the internals will be covered in the cr@p from old oil coats everything in a varnish that will make its way to anything thats not allready stuffed pull it down and rebuild it when you can afford it rather than put it on the road and regret it lets face it 27 years waiting surely a little longer wont bother it
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”