ok need some sugestions

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

wolfsbane
Interests: lots of stuff

ok need some sugestions

Post by wolfsbane » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 pm

picked up this sr185 for me to get to work but the wife wants me to do something with it for her bike is now 30 years old and is original bar paint
is regoed as a single seat and was a $500 dollar on the road buy
taking suggestions guys and gals

Wassa
"Fear not death, for the hour of your doom is set and none may escape it."
Wassa - Goldy

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Post by gsand » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:04 am

http://www.ironpumacustoms.co.uk/ironpo ... /index.htm

Something a lad from ol Uk put together

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 am

What a transformation. I'd be a bit concerned about that frame weld at the bottom rear, but a unique approach all the same.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

psychomatt

Post by psychomatt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 am

cafe racer it!

Strip it all down and make it into a race looking legal cafe racer. Theres more and more of these lil motored bikes used as cafe racers

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Mitred bends. My god, what a death trap. I hope no one dies riding it.

Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

lower it junk the air box tank chainguard and seat and it would be a cool little around towner they have a pretty good backbone for other tanks a pod in exchange of the air box and a lower seat like a mustang or something solo and a nice high straight through side pipe out the left hand side it definately has potential :D

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm

I had me one of those sr 185s and i found it to be a cracker of a bike very reliable easy for commuting it was just a little underpowered to lug my carcass around, the sr 185 is a rare model in aus (the side covers are very hard to get so bung em on ebay - i paid $75 each for mine ) as most people went for the 250 big block, but after seeing the blue chop i,m impressed even if the frame is dodgy , i wish i hadnt sold mine now.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

wolfsbane

Post by wolfsbane » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Brassy wrote:lower it junk the air box tank chainguard and seat and it would be a cool little around towner they have a pretty good backbone for other tanks a pod in exchange of the air box and a lower seat like a mustang or something solo and a nice high straight through side pipe out the left hand side it definately has potential :D
def the seat and the tank
like the lower but ma-bee only the rear unless i shave couple of inches of the forks mmmm
missus hated the frame on above pic
Wassa - Goldy

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 pm

yeah I was thinkin in the rear ,maybe some progressive springs and the tank blends into the airbox so I reckon it would look out of place if it was still there. You could probably run a nice rear fender back there too something real full lookin make it tidy and neat

wolfsbane

Post by wolfsbane » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 pm

yup thinner tank but will need it longer as will move the seat back further for a more comfortable ride

guards well im thinking a front guard of a bigger bike with a small guard on the front will be looking around for parts see how i go

will try and make a seat and pipe will weld up from original

this is my first project unless i pick up something bigger for myself then it may get put on the back burner as missus has been offered a virago for 1g ?
Wassa - Goldy

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 am

Yep, I'm seeing a bobbed rigid. A hard tail addon would look really cool. Ditch the blue bike, it's making my eyes bleed.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Did my P test on a sr250....(actually it was borrowed, because i rode a 750 at the time) was a bobber styled 250 (max capacity you were allowed to ride) ...very similiar to 185.

it had a bates styled solo seat, polished stock rear guard, shocks moved back on swingarm (by welding an extra bit to the top of the axel plates) this increased the rake and lowered the back.....it had flat bars and was generally tidied up, oh i think it had a different tail light and smaller blinkers.......and the 250 tank is heaps nicer.....that was it......

bike was deadly, very stable bike, so much so that when i did my emergancy stop, the tester said, i didnt come to a complete stop because i didnt put my foot down.....instead i just balanced it, not moving anywhere for 30 sec....feet up.......

lotsa fun and a great learner bike....
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm

I reckon I'd start by junking the side panels, grab rail, seat, speedo/headlight cowl & chaingaurd.

Add a thinner solo seat, maybe some pinstriping (get a dagger brush, check some designs online & have a go yourself), maybe swap the tail light for a tombstone one (or a Lucas Triump style one as they're probably cheaper) and a set of shorter chrome mirrors.

There's plenty of ideas to be found on this site!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

wolfsbane

Post by wolfsbane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:06 pm

yup agreed first project is remove the grab rail and make a bobber seat moving it back probably 5 inches along with a smaller crome gaurd and tail light with very small blinkers.

speedo/headlight cowl trying to find some cheap ones atm
chaingaurd i agree

(I reckon I'd start by junking the side panels, grab rail, seat, speedo/headlight cowl & chaingaurd.)

wassa
Wassa - Goldy

wolfsbane

Post by wolfsbane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 pm

one thing how easy would it be to put a kick start on above bike ???
Wassa - Goldy

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”