BearCX 500 Chopper build-up.

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Bearcx

BearCX 500 Chopper build-up.

Post by Bearcx » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:33 pm

Managed to gather a few pieces over the last few weeks. Tried a quick mock up on the CX (before any cutting gets underway!). Got a complete front cut from a Honda XR250 (forks 1000mm long/CX 700mm long). Got hold of a CX Custom fuel tank(thnx Glen). $20 for a chrome mudguard, new brake light assy, shocks are about 75mm too long, managed to get a Z9 oil filter under the rear tyre, and it's still not hitting the frame !!
:shock:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

pullmyfinga

Post by pullmyfinga » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:06 pm

I have a list from the net on other front forks that suit the CX but you cant be sure if they are always right. Great to see the XR250 suit. Just might do the same for the trike. Thanks for posting that,it takes the wondering out for me.I'm keen to see the front when it's finished.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Hhhhmmmm, can ya define the style of bike youre after Bear?..it sounds like ya gonna do some cutting....is that to rake the front end, drop the back or what?

That xr front end will look great with a bit of rake, like wise the rear end dropped a bit will look good ...both together kind of will give it a long lean 'digger' look......I reckon if you were to raise the shock mounts and lower the standard shocks both in 50% of the difference itd give it a great stance, and would automatically give the front end just enough rake without the hassell,..Whats youre plan?

The custom tank looks great too.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks for interest, Guys. As this is my first attempt at a "chop", I,m not sure exactly what style to call it. The XR250 fork tubes are too wide to fit in the CX trees, so I got a whole front cut from the wreckers. This included the triple trees and about 150mm of head stem. this will be grafted on to CX frame if the "bearing shaft" doesn't fit inside head stock (make sense ?). Like to see the comparison list if you could list it.

I will drop the rear a couple of inches, and increase the rake to max. by SAust standards. 550mm from centre of head stem to centre of axle.
Might try and fit a Mono shock rear, and fit a CBR600r alloy rim. Then attempt the shaft-to-sprocket transformation.

I can alter the front height by allowing the forks to protrude through the trees

Apart from that...I'm winging it !!!! Everytime I touch the bike, something new pops into my head. Need to alter my medication.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Fair enough, id try to see if those triple clamps fit as a straight swap, Honda are good like this, theres a fair bit of interchangability.

pullmyfinga

Post by pullmyfinga » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Hey Dave,
That list of fork tubes that interchange with the CX can be found on the Australian CX forum, I guess you've been there. I can't get in there right now, server failure message keeps coming up. Somewhere there but can't remember exactly where,good luck. Keen to hear how you go with the whole front swap.Will that give you a single or twin disc brake ?

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:16 pm

CX comes with twin disc set up, but is lousy in the braking department. May look at removal and update to later model discs/mstr cyl.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 pm

Sounds like you are going down a similar path to my first chop
You may find my build interesting.
http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... sc&start=0
I hope you have as much fun with yours

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:21 pm

Looks great Bacca. Love blue bikes. Thinking dark blue for frame and silver parts and accessories. Not much chrome. Cheaper to paint than plate.

Have fun on the road.

Bearcx

BearCX update

Post by Bearcx » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Not much done over the xmas break, had to work. But managed to cut rear springs by 50mm, removed big,ugly air box and installed air pods. Also got material for a new head stock, just need to bore it out for bearings.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 am

Good to see you getting some things done BearCX.

The modified shockers have dropped the bike nicely. Good job.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Unexpected outcome...lowering the bike means altering the sidestand!
Centre of balance has moved, and stand pushes bike over. Live and learn.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:31 am

Lengthening the forks will bring it back up

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:14 pm

For the time geing , you could use the stand from the other frame and cut it down until you have final height set up.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”