30. Polishing #2...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

30. Polishing #2...

Post by Prof » Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Here are a few before and afters plus a three sculptural jobs...

Front calipers before and after...

Master cylinder...

Master cylinder is a pain to try to keep clean much less polished. Bit of elbow grease needed here...

Much better, makes a nice patch of light catching shinies too. Cap also has had the writing removed. Anyway I prefer dot 4 cos you can pick it up at any servo out on the road...

Countershaft cover...

Counter shaft sprocket cover has a couple of holes no longer needed, so a good way out is to remove them and make bike a bit more different in the process. When this pic was taken, ribbing for master cylinder and brake line had been already removed just forgot to take a piccy...

Needed welding of a couple of cracks...

...which showed up porousity of alloy. I have bought some metal putty to fill these pits with and I can then finish polishing. Will put a pic up here later when it is done so you can see how close it gets to the alloy colour...

Lower Fork legs...

Mudguard lugs won't be needed as they will attach to a fork brace I am getting machined. Reflector lugs on other sideare also going...

When you are cutting aluminium castings with an angle grinder, run blade regularly through a block of beeswax to prevent grabbing which can have nasty reslut if you are not paying attention...

Lugs removed. Casting marks will also be removed using linishing machine, minibelt sander and die grinder. If you look closely, you'll see MJO (Michael J Offe) stamped on inside of the leg. Every part on the bike is stamped, often in two places and each mark photographed. Stamping if possible is done in recesses where they can't be removed...

Linishing using coarse and then very worn fine belt...

Comparisons of lugs on - lugs off...

One leg polished, one to go...

Its been a hard day's night...

... and while everything else is shiny, polishing with the buffing wheels turns me into a little black boy... and it is HARD to get off!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”